How to overcome fear of P3?
2386 24 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kagazuda
lvl.2

Canada

How to overcome fear of P3?

Whenever I take off, and go about 3 meteres in the air and little bit of wind comes and moves the phantom a little bit I get so terrified I land it immediately.

I also sometimes panic and push the stick the wrong way.

I have spent hours on the simulator and watched all of the tutorials.

How do I just get out and fly like at least 300m without panicking that I am going to crash?
2016-4-12
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Get dji care and a trackimo GPS and all your fear will disappear like it did for me.
Don't panic, just let go of the sticks when you are nervous and unsure of your orientation. The phantom pro 3 holds its position really good so by letting go of the sticks the active braking should stop your phantom fast.
2016-4-12
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Find an open area.  
Make sure you are set to GPS mode.
Insure your home point is set.
Lift off and hover for a minute.
Now lift it up to about 20 feet (6 meters) using the left stick pushing up wards slowly.

Now then just slowly move the bird carefully, and take your time.

You can do it! microcyb_derp.jpg
2016-4-12
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41778 ft
United States

Another option would be to purchase a "less costly" quad you can mess around with until you can get your orientations and muscle memory down pat. Less stress, more learning...

It can be terrifying to know that there's over a grand hanging up there in thin air, (been there, done that...so bad that you can see the aircraft bobbing up and down from my thumb shaking on the stick), but eventually you get passed that point with additional flights, and practice... practice... practice.

Best of Luck!
2016-4-12
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

Wide open field man.

That, or drink some beers or have hot chicks there to try and impress. /s

Seriously, find an open field and get it 30-50 feet up and just play around with it. Your nerves will go away super fast.
2016-4-12
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I used to fear flying my Phantom 2 Vision+ so much that my hands would shake. Then I bought the Phantom 4 and now I have no fear at all flying the Phantom 2V+. Actually I have very little fear flying the Phantom 4 either due to its stability and reliability. There are a lot more things I can do with my drones now and flying is a pleasure. Consider buying a cheap or used Phantom 2 which is harder to fly than the P3/P4 but will cost you a lot less if you make a mistake.
2016-4-12
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Best place is Open wide aria without tree and grossly ground and enjoyed flying
2016-4-12
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

JustGoThere Posted at 2016-4-12 15:16
Another option would be to purchase a "less costly" quad you can mess around with until you can get  ...

AGREED! Get a Syma X5C of Amazon and learn to fly
2016-4-12
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Wide open field on a warm clear day with no wind.
There's a DJI practice page that l learned with when l had my P2. The flight manoeuvers and practice are all still relevant even though the text is for P2:

http://download.dji-innovations. ... g_Guide_v1.1_en.pdf

You'll be so bored by repeating this over and over that you'll want to move on.
lt's only when l reached the point of drone addiction that l realized if l crashed my drone l'd have another in my hand before l got home, that l lost the nerves and sent it out without fear of losing it. That is when the enjoyment begins.
2016-4-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

As others have said, fly in a large open field, make sure you're in P mode with home point set and good satellite count.  Make sure your drone is facing AWAY from you before you take off.  That way, left is left, right is right, etc.  Then lift off the ground to 10-20 feet and play with the controls a little at a time.  DON'T get carried away and go full stick doing anything.  Make slow movements, practice it a lot.   You can also go into the GO app and turn down sensitivities so that the drone doesn't react quite as harshly as you do.  There's several threads here on the forum about making these custom adjustments.
2016-4-12
Use props
mwjdr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28783 ft
United States

If all signs are good; lots of satellites connected, home point designated, green flashing lights, no worries, push forward controls and let er eat.
2016-4-12
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

Your fear comes from the fact that this is an expensive piece of kit. All it takes is whatever, and it breaks, for you to be out $1000.

To not have fear will require not caring about $1000 loss. That is essentially at the root of it.

Now, you can also start to make up for deficiencies by having faith in the device itself. So you could fly close to yourself for a very long time to ensure the bird and battery functions properly and is reliable. Then you can start going further and further out.

But, if something happens, and you lose the bird, you are out $1000.
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

a lot of nice advises! i would just say fly more...
2016-4-13
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get a cheap toy quad (make sure it's a 4 channel one) and fly that around.  You'll then find the Phantom easier to fly because it's greater mass and autopilot make it much easier to handle.  Failing that, big field and if you get uncomfortable at any time just give it some altitude and let GPS hold position.  One thing they used to recommend when learning bigger conventional r/c helicopters was hover it just in front of you (not too close!) and then go for a walk around the field with it (try not to trip!).
2016-4-13
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Good advice here. Using a cheaper quad to get used to controls is an excellent idea. Make sure you are using p flight mode - controller wiki Then take your P3 up 50' or more in a wide open area and let go of the controls and realize that the P3 just stays there even in reasonable winds. I bet most problems are caused by too much control input when the best thing in most cases is to let go and figure out what to do.
2016-4-13
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Practice, practice, practice, in ATTI Mode. Go to a large open area bring it up about 100 feet and keep it close to you and do some figure eights, circles, up and down to build up your confidence that you are flying it and it is not flying itself. You will gain experience and the fear will go away. I felt the same way when I started and when I did the above a number of times the fear left and you will be a better pilot and really enjoy flying and you can spend more time using the camera for photos and video.
2016-4-13
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

I agree with getting a Syma 5XC.  It recovers well from mishaps.  It's how I learned before I purchased a P3.
2016-4-13
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're never gonna completely overcome the anxiety/fear.....and that's ok.....healthy fear can be a good thing.  
There's been some great advice given here, but the most important is repitition.  The more you practice you put in (both real and simulator), the more confidence you gain, the less anxiety you feel when you take her up.
Jack Nicklaus once said that he had butterflys in his stomach before he teed off on the first hole of every tournament he ever played in......but once he started playing all the practice and work he put in took over.....he was fine.

If it were easy everyone would do it well........and I hate to be Mr. Obvious here.......but I think we can all agree  that is not the case.
Good Luck and Good Flying!!

2016-4-13
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Before flying the P3 I purchased the ZYMA X5C for under $100. It's more like 2-oz rather than 2-lbs. It does not have GPS and all of the flight stabilization of the P3. I practiced with it inside and outside in different conditions -- knowing that if I lost it was a minimal investment. However, I did get comfortable with the controls over time.
Once I finally took my P3 up in the air it was a dream. It's incredibly stable and one of the best features of it over a "toy drone" is that if you let off on the control sticks it simply hovers and waits.
Start in an open area with your P3 and get comfortable with it -- let it out of the box and enjoy...
it's an amazing product!
2016-4-13
Use props
ssunman
lvl.2

United States

I'll add my two cents on top of all the good advice you've received already.   As my old man used to stress to me...." whatever the equipment you're using, ALWAYS control it....NEVER let it control you."
2016-4-13
Use props
kagazuda
lvl.2

Canada

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all of the great advice.

I do have two questions.

1) Is it a good investment to buy DJI Care?

2 I have both the Phantom 3 Standard and the Advanced both are new which one should I fly. Is the Phantom 3 Advanced more stable?

Thanks
2016-4-13
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-13
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

quaddron3 Posted at 2016-4-12 21:00
Your fear comes from the fact that this is an expensive piece of kit. All it takes is whatever, and  ...

For me, this was the fear. I had to learn to trust the gear and myself. and if something happens and I lose the bird, it's no big deal.
2016-4-13
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

SFGiants24 Posted at 2016-4-14 01:23
For me, this was the fear. I had to learn to trust the gear and myself. and if something happens a ...

That is my primary fear too.

2nd fear is third party liability such as damage to property etc.
2016-4-14
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

Get a toy grade quad.  If you can master the toy flying and fighting wind, you'll have no fear flying your $1000 toy
2016-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules