How do I get GPS?
2998 21 2016-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
goswick
lvl.1

Total new-be here..I have a P3 Standard and have followed the directions to connect the controller to my Android phone. When I go to the DGIGo app it shows me that I am connected and ready to fly but no GPS. How do I accomplish connection AND get GPS. My phone has a service plan but when I connect to the controller there is not any real internet access.

Please tell me what i'm missing.

Thanks,

Pete

2016-4-17
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

Hi Pete, I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and I don't think having service on your cellphone has anything to do with the GPS for your controller and aircraft connection. I know this may sound like a cliche but have you read the owners manual front to back? I know I did this many times and made it easier to understand how everything works for my P3A.
2016-4-17
Use props
goswick
lvl.1

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-4-18 01:15
Hi Pete, I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and I don't think having service on your cellphone has anything ...

Hi...thanks for your reply. I believe the P3 Advanced controller  communicates to the phone via a mini USB cablel. The P3 Standard communicates via built in WiFi...at lease that is what I can see. I'm sure i am missing something but have read the owners manual and may be a hidden gem that I can't see.
2016-4-17
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

HI goswick, I use a mini iPad with my controller and yes, it uses a usb to lightning cable to connect the two. Have you tried to YouTube any videos that may help? :-)
2016-4-17
Use props
goswick
lvl.1

goswick Posted at 2016-4-18 01:30
Hi...thanks for your reply. I believe the P3 Advanced controller  communicates to the phone via a  ...

Problem solved...basic operator error...no GPS signal in my house...went outside and all is well...Thanks for your help.
2016-4-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The GPS is built in to the Phantom 3 Standard. In fact, allthe Phantom 3's have built in gps.The Advanced and Pro also have the Glonass system, which is just another type of gps. If you have no gps displayed on the display of your device when using the Dji-Go app, you are either indoors or somewhere there is no gps signal available. Make sure your S1 switch is in P mode,  make sure you are in an area with no overhead obstruction and turn on your controller,  Phantom and device in that order.  Allow the Phantom to do its warm up routine.  When you have ready to fly on the top of the screen,  you should also have slowly blinking green lights on the front arms of the P3.  To the left of the Ready to fly icon, there will be a satellite count icon.  It will show how many satellite gps connections you have.  Please note,  you do not need a device to fly the Phantom at all. The gps in your device is only useful for follow mode and for setting your device to be = to home point.  But the Phantom normally sets its home point at the place where you start the motors,  providing you have sufficient gps connection. So, if your devices speaker say Home point set, you have gps connection on the Phantom.  The device is just an information server for the Phantom here.  You use the device to set certain parameters, like max distance, beginner mode, and camera functions, to start and stop recording,  etc. On the Advanced and Pro models, many of these functions are built in to the controller.
Hope this helps.
2016-4-17
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm glad to see you found your gps problem. In NC we have to pay $199.95 per month to get GPS...I hope where you live is cheaper!

Just Kidding!
2016-4-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-17 13:01
The GPS is built in to the Phantom 3 Standard. In fact, allthe Phantom 3's have built in gps.The Adv ...

I'm pretty sure the home point is set by the GPS in the drone and has nothing to do with a GPS that may or may not be located in your device.
2016-4-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-4-17 16:47
I'm pretty sure the home point is set by the GPS in the drone and has nothing to do with a GPS tha ...

According to my app,  when you tap the icon there are 2 more icons that display.  One sets the current home point at the drones present position,  the other sets home point at the device.  That is the DJI-go app. But I am using version 2.6.0.  Perhaps it is not in the newer apps.
After checking my other device,  I see that this feature is removed in 2.7.1

2016-4-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-18 10:13
According to my app,  when you tap the icon there are 2 more icons that display.  One sets the cur ...

" I see that this feature is removed in 2.7.1"

Not removed ... just hidden in the MC settings menu
2016-4-17
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-17
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-4-18 05:22
I'm glad to see you found your gps problem. In NC we have to pay $199.95 per month to get GPS...I ho ...

You are lucky! - We have to pay even more for GPS because the Satellites have to travel further to come all the way to us in Australia. its even worse if you are in South Australia. Hmmmmmf! ......Also i think because the satelites have to travel further to reach us, we have to wait ages to get a sat lock. - the last time when I was in my tin roofed shead, I had to wait for at least half a day until i got one satalite, and that too dissappeared after 30 seconds!!! -

I blame all you lot in the US & UK that switch on your quadcopters that suck all the satalites radio waves away from us!!!

2016-4-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Alan Guan Posted at 2016-4-18 11:08
you gotta connect to the drone then calabrate

There is no calibration for GPS
2016-4-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-17 19:13
According to my app,  when you tap the icon there are 2 more icons that display.  One sets the cur ...

Kneepuck, I stand corrected.  I remember that function used to be right on the normal screen, but, as labroides has said, has been moved now.  In order to set to the RC's position, it is going to have to have that position somehow.  Interesting, because many pads won't know where they are, and we know that there isn't a GPS receiver in the RC.

By the way, in case anyone at DJI cares, I too miss those functions being moved off of the main screen.
2016-4-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-4-18 11:20
You are lucky! - We have to pay even more for GPS because the Satellites have to travel further to  ...

Spare a thought for the Tasmanians, they don't get any GPS at all, because their state government is too mean to buy GPS time. I get some where I am, but they are only second-hand satellites, and the firmware is way out of date. I have tried to update them, but no-one will sell me a long enough USB cable.
2016-4-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-4-17 19:02
Kneepuck, I stand corrected.  I remember that function used to be right on the normal screen, but, ...

I happen to have the 2.6 apk if you want a copy.
2016-4-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-17 19:54
Spare a thought for the Tasmanians, they don't get any GPS at all, because their state government  ...

Don't feel bad.  Sometimes I forget to wind mine up.
2016-4-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

goswick Posted at 2016-4-17 13:52
Problem solved...basic operator error...no GPS signal in my house...went outside and all is well.. ...

That will do it every time.
2016-4-18
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-4-17 21:20
You are lucky! - We have to pay even more for GPS because the Satellites have to travel further to  ...

Ok I'll shut off three of my satellites and send them your way so you can use them. I hope this will help you out a bit!
2016-4-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-4-18 19:22
Ok I'll shut off three of my satellites and send them your way so you can use them. I hope this wi ...

Thanks  mjls. For shutting off 3.. Much appreciated. I already saw I difference this evening. Got a good sat lock in the back yard.  Thanks again.

Could you please also send Geebax a much looooonger US B cable. It will keep him quiet and off the carb cleaner for a while.
2016-4-18
Use props
monstermash
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26240 ft
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-17 14:01
The GPS is built in to the Phantom 3 Standard. In fact, allthe Phantom 3's have built in gps.The Adv ...

Im sorta of a  newbie to this but I must admit, your explanation on the subject is very clear and understandable.  Thank you very much,  I can't say that I learned from your post because I had already figured that part out but this is very, very good info for a newbie.  I must admit i do have GPS knowledge.
2016-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules