4200 100 2016-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I entered my "GO" program yesterday to fly my P4 I received a notice from DJI that in order to stop the motors in an emergency. Pull down on the throttle while pushing the "RTH". I would imagine that this change was made across the board. This should eleviate the accidental CSC shutdown. Now it has to be intentional. This does not affect a normal shut down once landed.
2016-4-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And the first victim WAS
2016-4-24
Use props
jsegovia3830
lvl.1

United States

Yes, I got the same notification last week
2016-4-24
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jsegovia3830 Posted at 2016-4-24 09:42
Yes, I got the same notification last week

A move for the best. It appeared when I had a Wi-Fi connection.
2016-4-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

" I would imagine that this change was made across the board."
This is only for the P4
No change for the P3

2016-4-24
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

I would like to see this for the P3A.
2016-4-24
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-4-24 09:42
And the first victim WAS

i don't think he was a victim.   i am more thinking troll!  3 posts by him each vague and simple.  and he posts,  gone for a day,  then another and gone again.    doesn't add up  
2016-4-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-24 07:12
" I would imagine that this change was made across the board."
This is only for the P4
No change for ...

This new CSC procedure is only for the P4.
2016-4-24
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-24 16:22

Ken
Why is this not rolled out to P3 as well?  The CSC is despised by so many people.  Why not make all phantoms have the same CSC procedure?

Ian
2016-4-24
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-24 17:09
Ken
Why is this not rolled out to P3 as well?  The CSC is despised by so many people.  Why not mak ...

Yes that would be nice.
2016-4-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-25 07:09
Ken
Why is this not rolled out to P3 as well?  The CSC is despised by so many people.  Why not mak ...

Just imagine the confusion that would create.
2016-4-24
Use props
hefnerjim
lvl.1
United States

I prefer the way the P3's work now, since I catch mine instead of landing here in the desert.  With a CSC required to shutdown, I would be forced to land in some nasty stuff, getting dust in everything.  Now I can descend and hover 4 ft off the ground, walk around behind, grasp one leg with right hand and shutdown motors with left hand.... no dust or cactus in the camera or gimbal.  I assume some have pulled full back to descend fast and unintentionally shutdown the motors.... stuff happens.  It would be nice to have a controller config setting to select CSC or SSC for shutdown instead of forcing all P3 users to use only CSC.  
2016-4-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hefnerjim Posted at 2016-4-25 11:28
I prefer the way the P3's work now, since I catch mine instead of landing here in the desert.  With  ...

" I assume some have pulled full back to descend fast and unintentionally shutdown the motors.... stuff happens. "

If you are talking about the Phantom 3 ... No, your assumption is quite wrong.
You can descend at full speed from way up and your motors will never stop in flight.
DJI designers just aren't that dumb.
2016-4-24
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-24 23:22

Ken, is it possible to do the same for p3 or is that too involved in a fw update??
I would imagine dji changed the combination in order to stop all the numerous inadvertent CSC!
So why not do the same for the p3?
Thanks
2016-4-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

rayrokni Posted at 2016-4-25 12:14
Ken, is it possible to do the same for p3 or is that too involved in a fw update??
I would imagine  ...

It's only like that for the P4, I do not know if it will ever be implemented into the P3.
2016-4-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-25 05:09
Ken

Ian,
I'm not sure if it will ever be implemented into the P3.
I will send an email and inquire about though.
2016-4-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

rayrokni Posted at 2016-4-25 14:14
I would imagine  ...

"I would imagine dji changed the combination in order to stop all the numerous inadvertent CSC!
So why not do the same for the p3?"

Maybe because there have NOT been numerous inadvertent CSC incidents.
2016-4-24
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It feels like the smartest thing would be to implement the same stick functionality on all platforms to avoid confusion. I have a P2V+, P3P, P4 and a Inspire 1 Pro. To have different functionality on different platforms is doomed to create unnecessary confusion. Like having the brakes, clutch and acc pedals mixed up depending on which car you drive. Doesn't really makes sense.
2016-4-25
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 03:17
" I assume some have pulled full back to descend fast and unintentionally shutdown the motors....  ...

labroides

Do you have a link to an official statement / instruction for that?  I am just way too nervous about motor shut down to give it full stick down when descending ... just in case.

Thanks
2016-4-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-4-25 19:04
labroides

Do you have a link to an official statement / instruction for that?  I am just way too  ...

This question has been asked numerous times, the answer is simple, try it in the simulator. As Labroides says, the software designers are not stupid.

Pulling down hard on the left stick will not shut the motors down unless the aircraft stops descending, and the software can detect that.
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-4-25 19:04
labroides

Do you have a link to an official statement / instruction for that?  I am just way too  ...

I've done it many, many times and so have hundreds of others.
If DJI designers were stupid enough to make the standard method of descending kill your motors (really no-one is that stupid), they would have had a warning in 100 point type in the manual.
And none of us would have kept our Phantoms for more than a week.

Your Phantom will descend until the IMU/barometer tells it that the Phantom has stopped descending and it's been stable for 3 seconds with  the left stick held down.

If you fly high enough, you can pull the left stick hard down for 133 seconds and you still wouldn't kill the motors in flight.
2016-4-25
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

OK thanks guys - I'll try it out when mine gets back from the DJI repair centre ... hopefully sometime soon.  
2016-4-25
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

For me it is like S.O.S. Every Phantom must have the same S.O.S, It must be universal. Mayday Mayday Mayday is ''UNIVERSAL'' I hope DJI will understand what we mean.
2016-4-25
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

GQ. Posted at 2016-4-25 14:55
For me it is like S.O.S. Every Phantom must have the same S.O.S, It must be universal. Mayday Mayday ...

I agree.

I can imagine quite few of us have several DJI products, and it gets confusing if one copter behaves in one way, and another one in another way. Yes, different hardware, but what they have in common, should act the same across the product line.
2016-4-25
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Rob W Posted at 2016-4-25 09:18
I agree.

I can imagine quite few of us have several DJI products, and it gets confusing if one co ...

I would go further. Every quadcopter or so on the market must have the same SOS, or Maday, procedures.
It must be UNIVERSAL.
2016-4-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 13:41
"I would imagine dji changed the combination in order to stop all the numerous inadvertent CSC!
So ...

The only reason they changed it on the p4 is because of the shit load of incidents on the p3, otherwise they wouldn't have changed it.
2016-4-25
Use props
hefnerjim
lvl.1
United States

Sorry, I'm a recent P3A owner and am confused by this CSC incidents discussion.  If pulling left stick full back, which is the only non CSC shut down action, doesn't cause the motors to stop while descending, what is the scenario causing all the incidents being referred to and how does what has been implemented on the P4 prevent it from happening?  Thanks.
2016-4-25
Use props
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

The P3S can't use that procedure as it doesn't have any buttons, just the two switches.
2016-4-25
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hefnerjim Posted at 2016-4-25 17:25
Sorry, I'm a recent P3A owner and am confused by this CSC incidents discussion.  If pulling left sti ...

If you pull both sticks down to the maximum adjacent or opposite lower corners (ie pull down towards each other or pull down away from each other), the motors will shut down and your drone will fall to the ground.

People have fallen foul of this and I still think it's mad we have this forced on us.
You can modify and personalize so many features of the controls, including how the two sticks work and what functions they carry out.  So I don't see any reason why we don't have the option to amend the CSC as well.
If you're a user that likes it, then great. Keep it.  But there are others that would love this feature moved to a different combination of controls.

Ian

2016-4-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rotareneg Posted at 2016-4-25 12:32
The P3S can't use that procedure as it doesn't have any buttons, just the two switches.

I am not familiar with the standard.
2016-4-25
Use props
hefnerjim
lvl.1
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-25 12:24
If you pull both sticks down to the maximum adjacent or opposite lower corners (ie pull down towar ...

Those are the normal CSC's that most quadcopters use.  To do that in flight a person has to be doing some very strange flying.... people that fly like that need to take some flying lessons IMO.... full bank one way and full yaw the opposite, let alone bottom corners of either one....  I have a hard time believing many people are doing that. These are not aerobatic quads, they are stable camera platforms and should be flown accordingly.  Flying with the controls in either CSC position is certainly not doing that!  I guess being a private pilot long before drones came along gives me a different perspective and better understanding of flying than someone that just got into flying drones with a P3.  Even then I started with a non GPS inexpensive drone and flew that 6 mos, then bought a X380 GPS drone and flew it a few months before buying the P3A.  Given what you described is the scenario people are complaining about, I hope DJI doesn't change the current CSC's.  I'm sure there are other more important things to work on than that.  Go ahead and flame away... it will tell alot about your flying skills when you do.
2016-4-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rotareneg Posted at 2016-4-25 12:32

The "RTH" is on your smart device in the App that you are using.
2016-4-25
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-24 11:22

I still say this should be a advanced setting option, but what do I know.  lol CSC.jpg

2016-4-25
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 10:17
" I assume some have pulled full back to descend fast and unintentionally shutdown the motors....  ...

At what point then can you kill motors I hand catch then pull left stick down for 3 seconds. I read the manual and I'm not going to try it.
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

rayrokni Posted at 2016-4-26 01:23
The only reason they changed it on the p4 is because of the shit load of incidents on the p3, othe ...

Not at all - It happens so rarely there are hardly any incidents at all.
DJI was responding to the noisy yapping of inexperienced flyers that assume it is a serious hazard.
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-26 07:16
At what point then can you kill motors I hand catch then pull left stick down for 3 seconds. I rea ...

See post #21 above
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 0&fromuid=10818
2016-4-25
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 19:10
If DJI designers were stupid enough t ...

Do your saying it's built into the barometer at what height does it know your stable , example your stable hovering no wind at 20 meters for 20 seconds and you pull the left stick back for 3 seconds what happens .I know at 7 ft. You can kill the bird.   The manual doesn't say a thing about IMU or barometer. So how does it know . better safe than sorry .
2016-4-25
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 19:10
If DJI designers were stupid enough t ...

After reading again I might of seen the light , bird can't be stale for 3seconds cause it's still descending that's why when I hand catch its not descending and it's stable,  Thanks
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-26 09:27
After reading again I might of seen the light , bird can't be stale for 3seconds cause it's still  ...

Yes ... if you are hand catching and have trouble holding the Phantom still for the required 3 secs, the IMU detects this and you can't shut down until you manage to keep it still for 3 secs.
2016-4-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-26 06:33
Not at all - It happens so rarely there are hardly any incidents at all.
DJI was responding to the ...

And you know all These  statistics, how?
2016-4-25
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules