Brand new P4 with broken RC, need help from DJI mods.
1215 26 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danny.condruti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42277 ft
United States

I have bought a new P4 from Apple store on 4/25/16 just before the store closing. The next day I powerd on the P4 and to my surprise ALL the firmware and software were up to date...no updating neccesary (that is a first). Started to calibrate the IMU on a perfect leveled surface non metalic and after that went outside far away from any metals/interference and calibrated the Compass. When checked both the IMU and Compass values were VERY low barely any green lines. I have re-re-re calibrated the IMU and Compass and still the same results. Have compared my brand new P4 against 2 other P4 drones of my friends and thir IMU and Compass values were high with solid green lines. Well...the next day on 4/26/16 I went to Apple store and exchanged the P4 for another P4, sealed box...and more problems started.
- after downloading the up to date firmware and software as instructed in the GO app, I power cycled all and restarted the RC, iPad, drone, checked for connection and camera view (all OK) , finished calibration and THE ORIGINAL RC DOES NOT POWER ON THE MOTORS !!!
- to check if the motors or something else is bad in the P4, drone, I have paired one by one the RC from my P3P and Inspire Pro drones to P4 and both non original RC worked perfect !!!
Also I have paired the original P4 RC to the P3P and Inspire Pro drones and the problem followed, the original P4 RC id not starting the motors with props, without props, inside, outside, in any mode. So, looks like this is the second P4 that is bummed and not working as it should.

So DJI, what is my option now? Re-replace the P4 completly? Was/is anybody from DJI checking the products before being shipped to customers? I can send proof of purchase to DJI if needed but I am frustrated with DJI lack of quality and trouble I have to go through.

2016-4-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"When checked both the IMU and Compass values were VERY low barely any green lines.":- That is good, these are measures of detected movement or interference, if sitting still & level low values wouls suggest your IMU and compass calibrations are good.

"finished calibration and THE ORIGINAL RC DOES NOT POWER ON THE MOTORS !!!":- did you calibrate the RC ?

2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

REALLY??? How do you explain 2 other RC units from 2 different drones work perfect with P4 but not the original RC?. Do you think they came calibrated from DJI or I had to calibrate them. The first P4 doing the same calibration the RC worked and this one is not.
I have helped a lot of people with first time calibration and setup, first fly and coordination.
When still on the table one IMU is 2 and the other is 46 is that a good sign? Also what about the Compass when there are very low values compared with 2 other P4 drones next to each other.
But that is not the present problem, I got a second P4 and the RC is dead.
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your frustration, Danny. Does this issue come up after the RC's upgrading? Besides, do you try to calibrate the RC?
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

OK, please explain in details, step by step how do you calibrate the RC?
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 17:22
OK, please explain in details, step by step how do you calibrate the RC?

2016-4-28
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had to take P3P back to best buy and exchanged it for new ones 4 times before I received one that worked!
2016-4-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 10:18
REALLY??? How do you explain 2 other RC units from 2 different drones work perfect with P4 but not t ...

One answer is that they may have been within the required parameters already, and not too far out of calibration.
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

I have "bent" the sticks after so many RC calibrations. Here is the process:
- turn ON the RC
- turn ON the pad
- turn ON the drone
- wait for RC-drone connection OK
- move both sticks low-inward position to start the motors NOTHING!
- use auto start and slide the ball on the screen >>> motors start and die after 3 seconds
- use the sticks to start NOTHING
- use the auto start NOTHING
Repeat all with the same results. >>> Broken RC >>> Hurray !!!
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-28 02:18
Sorry for your frustration, Danny. Does this issue come up after the RC's upgrading? Besides, do you ...

After, before, down graded and upgraded RC, same problem.
What is DJI action to fix this problem please?
2016-4-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would take it back to Apple, and not leave the store until you are satisfied with your purchase.  The technology is great but sadly lacking a bit in the QC department.
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 17:38
After, before, down graded and upgraded RC, same problem.
What is DJI action to fix this problem p ...

Make sure it is in Mode 2, not in custom RC stick mode.
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

Yes is in MODE 2.
How do I get to send it back to DJI for replacement? Let them scratch their heads to fix it.
P.S. The other RCs start the motors in any mode, 1-2-3-4.
DJI please stop with excuses and fix it. If they would have a good QC policy a lot of those problem could be avoided but...
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 18:31
Yes is in MODE 2.
How do I get to send it back to DJI for replacement? Let them scratch their heads  ...

Here is the contacting info of your service center in North America :
Email: support.us@dji.com
Phone: +1 (818) 235 0789  
Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST)
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

Thank you, will contact and follow.
2016-4-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you activate it with DJI using an Internet Connection.
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

Yes. Guys, this is not my first drone or first setup I have a P3P and Inspire Pro Black edition with no problems. Think I know how to set up a RC and drone.
2016-4-28
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 10:36
I have "bent" the sticks after so many RC calibrations. Here is the process:
- turn ON the RC
- turn ...

Since you purchased from the Apple Store three days ago - return it to the Apple store for replacement - Problem solved.

Jeeez...Drama out of a crisis !
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

This IS a replacement!
Returned first P4 due to lack of calibration and in air stability.
Got this one (2nd P4) and the RC is busted...how many times do I replace it???
2016-4-28
Use props
scarper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59272 ft
Australia

Take it back to apple.....do not send it to DJI.......apple will replace it again and it will also serve a purpose to show apple the QC on these devices is terrible...forcing DJI to rethink their QC testing. If they get enough returns that is....One guy on here had 5 P4s returned to apple before he got a good one...Apple were not impressed apparently
2016-4-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 09:03
This IS a replacement!
Returned first P4 due to lack of calibration and in air stability.
Got this  ...

hey danny

did you check to be sure you have the latest firmware on the RC (remote?) I know you said that you tried it on other aircraft... just not sure if this remote is on the latest firmware. I had to get two Inspires from Best Buy before I had one with a good flight battery   

Rich
2016-4-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-29 01:07
Yes. Guys, this is not my first drone or first setup I have a P3P and Inspire Pro Black edition with ...

Hey, the people on this forum are trying to help you out, Have some civility and respond properly to them. Do you slag off the guy making your hamburger?

2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

Went back to Apple and exchanged the bad RC only with the good RC from the first P4 I got from them and the P4 was bad. Now Apple has a complete BAD set (RC+drone) and I have a working P4.
In the morning before going to Apple I took the P4 RC and Inspire RC to work and tested them with ElGato spectrum analyzer and the P4 RC did not have any Tx output.
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-28 18:52
Hey, the people on this forum are trying to help you out, Have some civility and respond properly  ...

I take the onions and shove them in his nose
2016-4-28
Use props
danny.condruti
lvl.1
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-4-28 17:54
hey danny

did you check to be sure you have the latest firmware on the RC (remote?) I know you sa ...

Yes, all generics were checked, back pushed and re-downloaded and checked, bad unit.
I never had any problems with generic loading or RC pairing, this one took me 6 hours to finally give up. All good now, RC replaced.
2016-4-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-28 17:10
Yes, all generics were checked, back pushed and re-downloaded and checked, bad unit.
I never had a ...

Awesome.... I really like, my P4!!

Rich
2016-4-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

danny.condruti Posted at 2016-4-29 08:10
I never had a ...

Just out of curiosity, did the rudder or tilt wheel move the camera?
2016-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules