Cure for Jello problems on P2 with Zenmuze H3-3D gimbal
10214 10 2014-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nick
New

United Kingdom

I suffered very bad jello problems on my Phantom 2 with Zenmuze H3-3D gimbal but I found the cure!

The Jello issue is caused by incorrect/unsuitable rubber damper balls supplied with the Zenmuze H3-3D gimbal, sadly none of the rubbers supplied by DJI have the correct Shure hardness characteristics to isolate the camera from the vibration of the Phantom.

I had bad jello with both the grey & the white damper balls and whole quad shook if I used the soft black rubbers because they are too soft. After carrying out experiments I've discovered that the damping balls from my Blade 350QX quad solve the jello problem, they are slightly softer than the DJI white balls but firmer than both the blacks and since installing them on my P2 / H3-3D my jello problem has been completely eliminated so this would suggest that the cure for jello is to fit rubber dampers that have a slightly softer 'Shure' rating than the DJI white damper balls but harder than the DJI black 40 & 50 degree dampers supplied.

It would be great if DJI could resolve this issue by supplying some rubber dampers with the correct Shure hardness characteristics for the job.

Here are two before & after video's which show the results, the first was taken at the Bluebell Railway UK last month using the white DJI damping balls and is spoilt by very bad jello:

This second video was taken recently in similar bright sunlight conditions using the rubber dampers from my Blade 350QX quad and you'll notice that the jello has completely gone!

Note: drag mouse over the links to make them visible
(this forum appears to hide links)
2014-9-17
Use props
tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heads up, gotta change the color of your links from white to any other color. Otherwise it's a mad hunt to find them! haha. Good info. Thanks for sharing!
2014-9-17
Use props
nick
New

United Kingdom

Update on my earlier post

I've found that inserting some pieces of soft silicone rubber tube inside the DJI soft black 50# dampers increases the 'Shure' hardness perefectly and also eliminates the jello.
(obviously at different temperatures the shure rating of the rubber dampers will change)

The silicone rubber hose I've used is 7mm OD x 4mm ID, 1.5mm wall thickness. I bought mine on eBay from this seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261112 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
2014-10-9
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

Thanks a lot, very useful info, worked for me.
2014-10-15
Use props
allemyr
New

Sweden

Thank you very much for your posts! Think I will buy the black dampers and 1 meter of the clear silicone rubber.
2014-11-4
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off, Nick, great job figuring that out. I'll have to try it myself. My initial observations are the same as yours with respect to the stock dampeners. What temperature were you testing in?

DJI, please, please, please, can you provide some instructions for how to get the best stability from the gimbal and the differences between each dampener. You give is all these different dampeners and everyone is left to play mad scientist to figure out how to get them to work. Right now, Nick is doing your job better than you are.
2014-12-19
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8748281 ft
Uruguay

First of all those "damping balls from my Blade 350QX" are bigger than H3-3D's, they are like Vision's.
They don't fit very well in the plate holes that is attached to the Phantom but the plate that support the gimbal.
Powering the Phantom starts some H3-3D checks/movements it cannot complete because the gopro touches the floor.
Hovering the Phantom near me it is easy to see the whole gimbal vibrating.
After trimming a bit one side of the dampener that visible vibration disappeared, at least to the naked eye, but jello was still noticeable (25ºC, noon, bright day, summer)
I've tried all sort of things, soft dampeners with earplugs, acid silicone, adjusting gains and combinations of thouse.
The best was using earplugs inside soft dampeners but sometimes in bright conditions I still am getting vibrations in videos, not continously.
I cannot say it is in certain conditions, I mean it happens in all situations, raising, speeding up in any direction.
The last thing to do, I don't like, is to buy a ND filter + an adapter ring, more offset weight and other problems.
It doesn't make sense solve this issue in that way.
Hours and hours wasting time.DuBro balanced porps.
Everything is up-to-date.
What can you suggest, folks at dji?

2015-1-30
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Those dampeneres will never kill the jello completely. The reason is the wind and the sun. When you fly on a bright day with a bit of wind it will result in jello, especially when you fly against the wind.  when you hover it will be alright. The phantom really need windless days for best videos. Even 10km/s wind is to much. A bright day will also force the gopro to go into ultra fast shutter speeds which will result in jello or vibrations as well. The ND Filter will help but you get motion blur with it and of course a bit darker image.

On the train video you can see that it was a more windy day when the jello occured and he was flying higher and with more speed compared to the other video
2015-3-17
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ha ha, DJI giving support? Ha, that's a laugh. They have given me absolutely no support whatsoever on two separate issues. Three forum requests and three direct ticketed support queries. I will never spend any money on any other DJI products.
2015-3-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I remember trains like the first video going through the small town where I grew up.
2015-3-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

marciano Posted at 2015-1-31 02:02
First of all those "damping balls from my Blade 350QX" are bigger than H3-3D's, they are like Vision ...

i guess your copy of the zenmuse is not a good one, thats what i think of this now. I also could not remove the jello, even with the ND4 filter.
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules