Uncontrollable flight stick
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

Hi all, I had a scary situation last week where I was unable to control my quad when I would throttle down. I was able to throttle up, but no throttle down. Luckily I was only hover around 4-5 ft off of the ground. I was able to reach out, grab the quad and then cut the motors using normal left stick down for a couple of seconds. I had upgrade my firmware rom v1.7 - v1.8 and flew about 2 weeks ago without any issues. As normal after I upbrade I performed IMU, Gimgal, Compass , reset my camera settings, format my ad card etc.after having this happen to me , I removed props and spun up the motors and everything worked fine. I wasn't around any metal, large power lines etc just hovering g in my yard where I normally hover and fly.

One thing I noticed is that right after I lifted I got a Weak RC signal. That's when I decided to bring it down with no response from the stick. If this is a firmware issue, DJI need to get on board and get it fixed. This is a accident waiting to happen. To be honest I haven't flown the quad since. I've heard of others having problems and I can now say that I believe them and don't think its human error. Not thinking I wish I would have switched over to ATTI mode to see if it would make a difference

I've thought about contacting DJI, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I'm not sure who I would read out to as well as if they would contact me back. Any suggestions would be appreciated
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have never heard for that happening before. Have toy tried a stick calibration?
Also, the weak video may be from how you are pointing the antennas in relation to the aircraft.
So, do a stick calibration and also watch this video.
if this happens anywhere you go then it sounds like something in the RC.

2016-5-2
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Ken for your reply. I actually left that a out. When I did the firmware upgrade I performed a stick calibration. I had a similar problem when I was on version 1.7 whit the right stick. I flew out ahead of me and I couldn't get it to fly back to me going backwards so I had to turn the quad nose in and fly back to me. Stick calibration was performed then as well.
2016-5-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

When you lost video, you also lost control and couldn't bring it down.  Did you pay attention to the proper antenna orientation when it lifted off?  Was it directly overhead?
2016-5-2
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

It seems the stick still works if you were able to shut the motors off with a left stick down.  What model Phantom do you have?  A Standard perhaps?  Can you upload the result for this flight here, after uploading the flight record to Healthy Drones? https://healthydrones.com/main?a=upload  
2016-5-2
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

The stick partially worked.  when I tried landing, I could not get the quad to drop in altitude or the motors to drop rpm's below stick mid point. I had to reach out and catch the quad by it's landing gear. You are correct it worked to cut the engines, but that does me no good if I'm hovering in the air. I have a P3P. I will upload the log today. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to bash DJI, I do like this quad and I have F450 that I've built and flown.  Many times, but I haven't flown the P3P since. I'm not sure what I would have done if I were 30-40 feet in the air beside cut the engines and then had a broken quad.
2016-5-3
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

dave_ande@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-3 12:53
The stick partially worked.  when I tried landing, I could not get the quad to drop in altitude or t ...

Below is the link where I shared the Flight log.
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=tbqjeX

I've also included a screen capture of my iPad

2016-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules