GPS signal lost PH3 Pro
2077 22 2016-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joakim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 149078 ft
Sweden

I have yesterday been flying at three different times (changing batteries) and the last time after a new charging on my first battery. All in total for almost on hour. I started to feel relaxed flying and thought that I had control

The last flying I set the Rth altitude to 30 meters, max distant 200 meters and max altitude 80 meters. I was on the countryside with just a few buildings around. After approximately 10 minutes flying I lost gps signal for 18 seconds. This happened when I was going in towards the area I started from and land. My landing point was like 20 meters from a building an I came in at 10 meters altitude.

Suddenly I lost gps and it started to drift. I have made analyses second by second of how I reacted in lack of gps signal then looking at the flight log in the app. I made the situation worse by in a little bit half panic putting the Rc controller in the wrong direction. I increased the speed and it was far to close the building as I wanted to be. But I had a quite bit of luck and didn't crash. I was at lowest 6 meters above the ground. I should have risen up in the sky and tried to backed away which had given me a little more time to think. In the end I pushed Rth button and after it got the gps signal back it started to slow down and started to raise to 30 meters and went to the starting point. I aborted and landed manual without any problems.

18 seconds is a very long time in 10 m/s speed. I would like to know if this happened by some error in the Phantom 3 Pro or this is something that I should expect could happen.

I realize that I need to learn flying without gps signal for these situations.

What is the best way learning? Should I switch between the modes on the RC practicing or what do you suggest?

I have downloaded the flight log from the copter.

From flight log in the craft

From flight log in the craft
2016-5-18
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

ha! That sucks!!!
I do have quite a few flights, in a residental area, where gps is not perfect... I did have a few where the app said I lost GPS but then looking at the logs I found that was not true, as the actual gps signal was fine,  according to healthydrones or playback in DJI app... I got P3Adv.
2016-5-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Joakim, if you have downloaded the DAT files from the drone, you can send it to support@dji.com and we will look into you case. It would be better to send the data of the issue's date and make a brief description in the mail.
2016-5-18
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-19 08:31
Hello Joakim, if you have downloaded the DAT files from the drone, you can send it to  and we will l ...

Thanks I am in contact with EU support already.
2016-5-18
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

It's always best to learn to fly in ATTI mode in a big open space.  If you have the mode switch in ATTI mode to practice & it all starts to go wrong, you can always switch back to P-GPS mode & the aircraft will instantly stop where it is (assuming it has a good GPS signal).  Also, learn flying by the map view on the app in case you lose sight, it's actually very easy.

I've only needed it once when I had a compass error & the aircraft switched to ATTI mode, but having practiced a lot, there was no panic, even though the aircraft disappeared into a cloud.
2016-5-18
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-19 09:44
It's always best to learn to fly in ATTI mode in a big open space.  If you have the mode switch in A ...

I have practiced in the simulator and will practice in attitude mode. The map I guess is only working if you have gps connection.
2016-5-19
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

joakim Posted at 2016-5-19 18:22
I have practiced in the simulator and will practice in attitude mode. The map I guess is only work ...

No need for a map.  You still get a home point & position of the aircraft in map view, as well as a trace of its flight & a line to follow direct to home.
2016-5-19
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-19 20:03
No need for a map.  You still get a home point & position of the aircraft in map view, as well as  ...

I was practicing atti this evening, it was easier than I thought but I didn't had any wind. Training in different angles and different speed heights is good thing to do. I will keep practicing  this until I don't need to think before I do the controls.

It is very stable even in atti and I first didn't thought that the altitude and level would be so stable. It only drifts a little bit of course there is another thing when there is more wind.

I also tested point of interest, homepoint and waypoint. Homepoint became my favorite at once trying it.
2016-5-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Flying in ATTI and without line of sight is the biggest challenge, because you are not fully aware of the aircraft attitude, switching gimbal mode to fpv, may be helpful then, but still with wide angle, you got to be really aware that things do look different, as far as perspective, proximity of object and so on. The map and camera view really help to get the orientation, then just fly to get it back....
I always wondered how the atti mode and map work if you lost gps or compass.. Especially with compass issues, how can it keep track of orientation on the map?
I think flying atti is one thing, but flying atti if you have an emergency on gps or compass, that may be a slightly different story.....
2016-5-19
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

And yes, home point is a cool one, many of these are pretty cool flight modes! Just be carefull with follow me, if you are on P3 as it uses gps from your mobile device.. and well.. that can actually easily be wrong - know how to quickly return to atti or p-gps if you see the aircraft trying to fly away ;)
2016-5-19
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

Can you upload your flight logs to http://healthydrones.com/ and post a link here?
2016-5-19
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

connorschulte Posted at 2016-5-19 22:34
Can you upload your flight logs to http://healthydrones.com/ and post a link here?

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=zWvfDq
2016-5-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Is there some reason you're posting in tiny print that has to be squinted at to read?  Just post at the default size - please.
2016-5-19
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-5-20 00:58
Is there some reason you're posting in tiny print that has to be squinted at to read?  Just post at  ...

I don't understand what you mean?
2016-5-19
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

Is there any reason you switched to atti mode?
2016-5-20
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

connorschulte Posted at 2016-5-20 17:36
Is there any reason you switched to atti mode?

I didn't do that and multiple flight mode was not enabled. I also did see that it was in atti mode. I thought it was lost gps signal.
2016-5-20
Use props
gosports1
lvl.2

United States

We are haveing trouble reading  your message, the Font size is to small gosports1
2016-5-20
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

Strange! I am posting from my iPad without changing the font size.
2016-5-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

joakim Posted at 2016-5-20 16:24
Strange! I am posting from my iPad without changing the font size.

The text of your post is VERY small and hard to read, especially when compared to everyone else's.
2016-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

joakim Posted at 2016-5-21 04:09
I didn't do that and multiple flight mode was not enabled. I also did see that it was in atti mode ...

I was actually going to ask why you thought you had lost GPS signals, from the log it appears it was only a momentary loss. GPS does not normally just switch off, it might get down to a smaller number of satellites, but it is always present unless you fly into a situation that shields it, like a cave, tunnel or such.
2016-5-20
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft
United States

I started playing with drones because I don't fly a plane anymore. There are a few basic rules about flying that apply to drones and should be practiced until they become automatic.

If  you are having a problem and start to panic, CLIMB HIGH.  You know your ship is ok for the moment and you can start to figure out where you are and what direction you are headed in. When you climb your signal gets better and you see much more of the terrain which helps you understand where you are. That is how you avoid panicking and making extreme maneuvers.

Every novice pilot gets lost. Instructors even put blinders on students and disorient the student with turns and altitude gyrations. Then they take the blinders off and hand the student the controls. First stabilize the ship and climb. Take a moment to breathe and figure out where you are.  Confidence comes with practice.
2016-5-20
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-21 01:05
I was actually going to ask why you thought you had lost GPS signals, from the log it appears it w ...

Look at my picture of the flight in the beginning of this thread. At the point when something happened is marked with arrow GPS Lost. If that is the case i am not sure anymore byt something strange happened and it got somehow to anti mode.

In the app when forwarding slowly analyzing second by second the position at the map moved from the arrow "Lost GPS" to next arrow RTH in just one second. The next 18 seconds the position was at the exact same position (RTH). I could see what movements i did on the RC and I could see different speeds height and other data during this 18 secs.

I have after this been flying and i haven't got this problem after that. I have flying in anti mode I and even that mode feels stable even if i need more practice.

2016-5-20
Use props
joakim
lvl.2
Sweden

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-5-21 03:50
I started playing with drones because I don't fly a plane anymore. There are a few basic rules about ...

It was that specific moment when something happened the first time. I have latest flights trained flying anti and even atti mode feels quite safe to fly.

But add wind and closer objects it gets into a challenge. I will keep practicing.
2016-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules