Should I get an OSMO?
1521 16 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
john_pullen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20778 ft

I love DJI products and I already own a P4 and very tempted to get the OSMO. I'm  looking for good reasons to get one but I'm struggling to understand the main benefits. The OSMO has great quality and image stabilisation but no optical zoom. My Samsung S6 also has great quality with image stabilisation and no optical zoom. Yeah, my S6 does not shoot in 4K but what other benefit would I have over my phone if I were to get an OSMO? I'm not a photographer but would like to get more into photography and video techniques including time lapse and long exposure. Is OSMO a good choice or should I stick with my phone and spend money on a DLSR. Thanks
2016-6-2
Use props
ardian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 455197 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wait 6 months, I'm pretty sure there coming out with a pro version...
2016-6-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Thanks for your interest in DJI OSMO.
Welcome to our official products page and online store to learn more information.
Products website: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#specs
Online Store: http://store.dji.com/product/osmo?from=menu_products

For any issue, please contact us freely.
2016-6-2
Use props
Gronkston
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi John, I got my OSMO a couple days ago and I can say I love it, I also have a Canon DSLR. DJI offer various combinations of OSMO now. Its down to how much you want to spend. I have the basic OSMO with the X3 Camera but a friend of mine as said the X5 is better and the lens can be changed. My Budget was only £1000.00 and that was spent of getting batteries (You will need plenty of these) and various other items, You also can use the P4 Battery pack and its changer as the power source using the converter cable and Battery extender. My advise is If you can afford the X5 lens or the X5R then go for the OSMO Handle and get all the other parts to connect the X5 to it.  
2016-6-3
Use props
Dave A
lvl.2
United States

Totally dependent on your needs. Right now I'm using the Osmo for particular 'specialty' shots and in limited capacity. It has a ways to go before it'll be a device I feel comfortable pulling out and using next to my workhorse cameras and equipment. The first Osmo I received had a horrible drift on it and loses it's horizon making it useless for a lot of specifications. Waiting on my replacement now, and hoping it functions 100%. I'd also do some research as to the issues users are experiencing with current Osmos, before you take the finacnial dive. Might be worth going another route or waiting on them to produce an actual working unit. When it works it's great. But in my expeirence, it only works properly 25% of the time.
2016-6-3
Use props
Like Dave, mine also has the horizon drift problem. If you do a search, this is a widely reported issue and has been for many months. I contacted DJI support about it but got no reply.
2016-6-4
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

russell@goldsea Posted at 2016-6-5 11:20
Like Dave, mine also has the horizon drift problem. If you do a search, this is a widely reported is ...

Same here... I have had a tag open for over a week and several days with no response hoping  I will do away.
2016-6-4
Use props
Gronkston
lvl.1
United Kingdom

russell@goldsea Posted at 2016-6-5 04:20
Like Dave, mine also has the horizon drift problem. If you do a search, this is a widely reported is ...

Ref: Lens drift. I never noticed it until I read your comment. For me it drifts for around 1 minute before stopping. Currently that doesn't bother me has a new user but on a shoot that is extremely annoying.
2016-6-5
Use props
emgsocialnetwor
lvl.1

United States

You shouldn't. Not until the resolve the drift issue.
2016-6-5
Use props
tupoleff
lvl.2

France

No !
I had  too much problem with my model and when I had a real need to shoot osmo  has always dropped. Always the same problems with the wifi connection (iOS) tried on other one one from a friend, tried with an iPad, iPhone 6, Iphon5, works fine 10mn then down...
Disapointed, i solde mine...
Works great for a familly job but no pro.
2016-6-5
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

at the moment everything works fine on mine!
never drops me off  on a job and always makes the difference at the shooting.
pls have a look  
2016-6-5
Use props
Gronkston Posted at 2016-6-5 17:57
Ref: Lens drift. I never noticed it until I read your comment. For me it drifts for around 1 minut ...

That sounds a bit different than the horizon problem. After a minute or two of operation, the horizon line will rotate so that one side is noticeably higher than the other. Even manually calibrating the gimbal is a temporary fix - another minute later and it will be skewed off in the other direction. Pretty much makes it totally unusable unless you like a crooked video.
2016-6-5
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

russell@goldsea Posted at 2016-6-5 18:55
That sounds a bit different than the horizon problem. After a minute or two of operation, the horiz ...

Its not exactly like this. Sometimes when you power on the horizontal line is rotate but when you power off and then on again it fix the problem.
Or you can fix it by calibrate the gimbal.
I have shooting for 30' continually for more than 20 times with out problems.
2016-6-5
Use props
nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2016-6-6 03:18
Its not exactly like this. Sometimes when you power on the horizontal line is rotate but when you  ...

As I said, recalibrating the gimbal is a temporary fix and the problem reappears within minutes. This is a common problem and LOTS of people are reporting it.
2016-6-5
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

russell@goldsea Posted at 2016-6-5 23:17
As I said, recalibrating the gimbal is a temporary fix and the problem reappears within minutes. T ...

As I said too, after the calibration or a simple switch off the problem disappeared...
Maybe your device has motor problem...
2016-6-5
Use props
nico_mav@hotmai Posted at 2016-6-6 04:26
As I said too, after the calibration or a simple switch off the problem disappeared...
Maybe your  ...

Yeah, maybe mine and hundreds of others. I am relieved to hear that yours doesn't have the problem. At least some of them may not be useless.
2016-6-5
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

Ive owned mine for several months now. I like it but I dont love it. Its just not quick enough to fire up at a moments notice especially if your using your phone for the GO app. I still find myself using my Canon  or my gopro. The , in my opinion, is a great addition to any persons arsenal but should not be considered the main shooter. It does take awesome shots.
2016-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules