P3P won't accept update
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
howardbatt
New

United States

I've downloaded, unzipped and transferred the .bin file for Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.8.80 2016-04-07. Before downloading I formatted the micro sd card through DJI GO.

The RC had previously updated without incident. When I first started it, I got the message it and the aircraft needed to be updated.  I had downloaded the latest version of the App - three days ago when I received the drone - so it is the latest version.  There is no indication of the RC firmware version - it shows only the serial number - but it reported the update was successful.

But, the aircraft firmware did not update - it remains at 1.5.  So I tried again - and again - and again. Each time I insert the sd card, turn on the battery and the camera green light flashes for about ten seconds. The gimbal check is made and then the green light is steady. Nothing more. When I look at the card files after attempting the update, it has a new folder - "DCIM". But nothing other than that folder and the .bin file. I've watched several videos and one of them said the "root file" is the DCIM folder and shows the .bin file in that folder. I moved it to that folder and tried again. Still the same - flashing green light for ten seconds then steady green. Check the firmware through the app and it shows the aircraft has not updated.

There is no .txt file generated.

Sometimes the RC serial number comes up as a number and sometimes it comes up as "N/A"   Everything but the gimbal wheel seems to work - I have live feed, the aircraft flies. auto takeoff and RTH work. But the gimbal wheel has no effect.   

I've also tried updating to the previous 1.7 version the same way with the same result.

I've checked the SD card but see no read/write switch that could be causing a probleem.  

A final frustration when I thought to re-link.  I've probed the hole with a paper clip but can find no relink button.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks

2016-6-4
Use props
JBRead
lvl.1

United States

I had to do the 1.7v before doing 1.8v
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

I now have tried two things
1.  I opened the GO app without connecting the RC by wifi.  I touched and held the little box in the upper right hand corner.  It reports the current firmware version is 1.5.40 AND "get firmware version failed."  In the box under "select firmware version" is "none."

2.  I followed the tutorial on upgrading the RC.  I connected the RC and went to camera view.  There was no message about upgrading and when I open the general status, there is nothing about upgrading.  When I received the P3P and turned the RC on I got the message a firmware update was needed.  I followed the onscreen instructions and ended with the message the upgrade was successful.
2016-6-4
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

howardbatt@hcba Posted at 2016-6-5 00:11
I now have tried two things
1.  I opened the GO app without connecting the RC by wifi.  I touched an ...

Your mobile device needs wifi (internet connectivity) to download the RC firmware update.

So connect to wifi and try your step one again...
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

JBRead Posted at 2016-6-4 12:10
I had to do the 1.7v before doing 1.8v

Thanks for the reply but I also tried to load 1.7 and got the same result - nothing
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-6-4 12:16
Your mobile device needs wifi (internet connectivity) to download the RC firmware update.

So conn ...

I said it poorly - the mobile device was connected to the internet by wifi but was not connected to the RC.  If connected to the RC by wifi, I would have no internet.  But - as I mentioned, when I first got the P3P and turned on the RC and iPad mini 2, I got the message to update firmware.  I followed the instructions and got the message the update was successful
2016-6-4
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

howardbatt@hcba Posted at 2016-6-5 00:20
I said it poorly - the mobile device was connected to the internet by wifi but was not connected t ...

Do you have the P3P or the P3 4K?
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-6-4 12:23

4k - interesting - I thought they were the same thing
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

I think you've pointed me to the answer - I found a link to the p3 4k firmware.  It's not mentioned in the general support area - I found it by searching "4k firmware."  

Thanks very much - I'm going to try it now
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

That was it - the original update was correct - I didn't know there was a difference between the P3P and the 4k.  I bought it from Amazon who listed and sold it as P3P.  But I see now the opening DJU GO screen shows P3 4k.  

© 2016 DJI. All Rights Reserved.
Overview
1. All-in-One Firmware Version: v1.5.40
2. DJI GO app iOS Version: v2.8.0
3. DJI GO app Android Version: v2.8.0
2016-6-4
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

howardbatt@hcba Posted at 2016-6-5 00:28
4k - interesting - I thought they were the same thing

Sorry, my bad. The P3P connects the RC to the mobile device via a usb cable. Thus my incorrect wifi comment.

Your P3 4K uses 5.8GHz wifi for connectivity between the RC and the mobile device. Page 57 of the P3 4K User manual states to connect your mobile devie with the GO App to the internet and then launch the GO App. The GO App should check for available RC firmware updates automatically. On-screen instructions should walk you through staging the firmware and then connecting back to your RC and upgrading.

If the GO App doesn't see any updates, you can open the RC firmware page in the GO App while it is connected to the internet. You press and hold the the "Graduation Cap" in the top right corner of the Camera Connect page of the GO App for 10 seconds. See this video for more info:

2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

howardbatt@hcba Posted at 2016-6-4 09:40
That was it - the original update was correct - I didn't know there was a difference between the P ...

It looks like you're heading in the right direction. Please let us know if you're still running into issues.
2016-6-4
Use props
howardbatt
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-4 13:13
It looks like you're heading in the right direction. Please let us know if you're still running in ...

Thanks very much to all who helped - I ordered it as a P3P but received the 4k.  I thought they were the same and "4k" was simply a reference to the camera.  Now I see the major difference is Lightbridge.  It did drive me nuts for a while as I studied and restudied the manual - for the P3P and couldn't find the USB port that's supposed to be right next to the micro port.  But - I watched a lot of videos and it dawned that all updating goes through the app via wifi.  My final confusion came with trying to install the current update for the P3P into the 4k

Now I have a completely different problem.  I've lost RC contact and the light on the controller is steady red.  I know I should re-link and read and watched videos on how to do it.  The problem is my drone has NO re-link button.  I found the two small round holes in the ventilator on the left side.  Even though the manual has mislabeled the micro usb port on the camera as the button, I know it's supposed to be in the right hand, small round hole.  And I know to use a small tool to push it - the DJI video shows that.  So, I have tried - there is nothing there to push - the tool will go in an inch or more and not touch anything.  I felt around (gently since I don't know what's inside) and find nothing.  I click "relink" in the app and it counts down while searching for the drone but  - no joy.  

I think what I got sold is a used airplane that someone re-boxed.  I don't know anyway to find the re-link button other than taking out some very small screws and opening up a machine to find a lot of things about which I have no idea.  So - I think my best bet is sending it back.  Unless, of course, there is something I've overlooked
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

howardbatt@hcba Posted at 2016-6-5 05:40
Thanks very much to all who helped - I ordered it as a P3P but received the 4k.  I thought they we ...

Could you clarify if you were pushing the linking button on the shell itself, and not on the VPS? Here is a picture of the linking button for your reference:
4K Linking Button.JPG

2016-6-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI-Jamie, how come it took you 9 whole days to reply back to this thread?

I wonder if the fellow returned it, exchanged it or what happened...

RedHotPoker
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-6-14 00:13
DJI-Jamie, how come it took you 9 whole days to reply back to this thread?

I wonder if the fellow r ...

I was on vacation.
2016-6-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ok, that is an "accept ion" to the forum rules. Hahaha
Welcome back, hope you had peace, and rest. What did you buy me/us?

Seriously, did you travel, and if so, did you happen to fly and capture any cool videos and pics?
Please share some of your favorites with us, if you care.

Again, wondering what happened to the OP's wayward drone? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-6-14 00:39
Ok, that is an acception to the forum rules. Hahaha
Welcome back, hope you had peace, and rest. What ...

Thank you, it's nice to get some fresh air when you can. I had brought back a pie from the East Coast, but it did not survive long. I did get to take a P4 with me and when I have time to sort through all the footage I could post a sample.
2016-6-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

howardbatt@hcba Posted at 2016-6-5 05:40
Thanks very much to all who helped - I ordered it as a P3P but received the 4k.  I thought they we ...

Were you able to resolve your issue, or have you returned/ exchanged the unit?
2016-6-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-16 17:21
Thank you, it's nice to get some fresh air when you can. I had brought back a pie from the East Co ...

Pie, you brought back a pie?. Hahaha, well I hope that did it up right... ;-)
Pie à la Mode is pie served with a scoop of ice cream. Mmmnnn

RedHotPoker
2016-6-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-16 17:21
Thank you, it's nice to get some fresh air when you can. I had brought back a pie from the East Co ...

@howardbatt, what have you been able to accomplish with fixing the situation involved with your Phantom 3?
History of your visits here, shows that you had indeed logged in four days ago? But without any reply to the MOD here, from you...?
If you have fixed the issue, great. Please let us know though, "otherwise". Enjoy...Have s wonderful summer, with plenty of air time... Ha

@DJI-Jamie, I myself and certainly many others here, look forward to seeing any of your holiday pics you wish to share. From what I have seen so far,  
I love much of the amazing scenery in your country, the very modern architecture, and anything else that is eye candy... Haha

You never mentioned what kind of "Pie" you brought back??  ;-)
Now that I have thought more about this, perhaps its recipe would also be kind of cool. Hehe

RedHotPoker

2016-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules