Faster intervention needed
876 5 2016-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

Is there a quick way to intervene when RTH kicks in?
I was going through the necessary process of discharging a battery in my Inspire 1 Pro (using a $7K drone to discharge a battery is insane, why doesnt DJI make a gadget to discharge and recharge batteries for maintenance!! I have ordered a third party device to do this but its a long wait time) when at 25% battery power, it just shot straight up and hit the bow of a tree. It takes 3 secs to intervene and stop RTH and a lot can go wrong in 3 secs.

Is there a way to quickly turn of RTH?
Is there a way to qickly switch to Manual (I  dont think you can select Manual on the Inspire 1 Pro). Switching to ATTI doesn't help.
Is there any other way to quickly stop RTH?

2016-6-10
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Question, Maybe in  the future with a firmware upgrade that would be  a cool option! some type of avoidance sensor that will not engage the RTH if object was within a certain distance. sooner than 3-5 seconds.
I hit the RTH on the screen and there is that forever 3 seconds your speaking about.
Besides your point twenty years ago did you think you would be flying this.
what's the next twenty years going to give us in the drone world, you gotta love it.
Happy flights!
2016-6-15
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Thompson,

maybe try changing RTH to hover if running down batteries. But yes, you would think that there would be an easier method available to do this!

Regards Wolf
2016-6-16
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just make sure that you  are in the 60 foot radius  when di-s charging the battery down and the RTH wont Kick in .

Also did you not hear or see the warning Pop UP ?

I do the seam thing as you , here is how I do it.   I fly my  aircraft down to 25  %, then I keep the aircraft close to me (within 20 meters,) I practice Landing maneuvers and spot landing etc, then when I get to about 7 %,- 10 % (  depends on weather )  I keep the aircraft in a 1 foot hover  ( Over grass ) ,at this point the Battery could just die at any time , then as it gets lower in power I stay just skimming the deck until the battery dies, then I let battery cool and recharge.

Just make sure you are with 20 meters of the Home Point and the RTH will not engage .

You could also change the settings to Hover Or land Etc.  the prblem here is you may forget and when you need the RTH for real, it may just be hovering a Mile away......

donnie

2016-6-16
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks for all the feedback. Well I was doing like Donnie but made a whole bunch of errors (familiarity breeds contempt and as a real pilot I understand that there are a lot accidents whenever student pilots reach about 100 hrs, you think you know it all). I was testing a snag fix in Autopilot and stupidly didn't set Home point in the Go App. I think the consequence is that the Inspire therefore I didn't have the Home pt established, certainly not outside Autopilot. So RTH kicked in with Autopilot engaged (not sure if this was because the battery was in bad shape or Autopilot choose RTH at around 20%) and then set off on another track when Autpilot was disengaged.  The result was that in less than 3 secs the Inspire was off on a trip to nowhere.

The weird thing is that I am a procedure nut, have a detailed checklist, almost always set off home at 50% battery and follow all the recommended maintenance checks highlighted by Healthy Drones.

I was able to recover it and it's flying again.

I have now purchased a Phantom Angel, it just arrived. Hand made by Alex Protogerellis in Greece. Nice little gadget that discharges the batteries simply & safely away from the Inspire. It also has a Storage mode to discharge to 50%. It comes with the correct connector for the Inspire batteries. It only cost about $50. I just watched it discharge a TB47 from about 40% to switching itself off (ie flat) in around 15 mins. A good investment. Alex@phantomangel.rocks
2016-6-21
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks for all the feedback. Well I was doing like Donnie but made a whole bunch of errors (familiarity breeds contempt and as a real pilot I understand that there are a lot accidents whenever student pilots reach about 100 hrs, you think you know it all). I was testing a snag fix in Autopilot and stupidly didn't set Home point in the Go App. I think the consequence is that the Inspire therefore I didn't have the Home pt established, certainly not outside Autopilot. So RTH kicked in with Autopilot engaged (not sure if this was because the battery was in bad shape or Autopilot choose RTH at around 20%) and then set off on another track when Autpilot was disengaged.  The result was that in less than 3 secs the Inspire was off on a trip to nowhere.

The weird thing is that I am a procedure nut, have a detailed checklist, almost always set off home at 50% battery and follow all the recommended maintenance checks highlighted by Healthy Drones.

I was able to recover it and it's flying again.

I have now purchased a Phantom Angel, it just arrived. Hand made by Alex Protogerellis in Greece. Nice little gadget that discharges the batteries simply & safely away from the Inspire. It also has a Storage mode to discharge to 50%. It comes with the correct connector for the Inspire batteries. It only cost about $50. I just watched it discharge a TB47 from about 40% to switching itself off (ie flat) in around 15 mins. A good investment. Alex@phantomangel.rocks
2016-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules