Inspire Gimbal Problems
8733 18 2015-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
william.lemoine
lvl.1

United States

After flying my new Inpsire 1 for over 3 hours total for the past two weeks I must say I am impressed but have on major dissapointment.  Is anyone else experiencing problems with the Gimbal failing to maintain horizontal stabilization?  On just about every flight as the aircraft pitches as high speeds and camera tries to adjust, it begins to fail repeatedly trying to regain level but is only able to do so after repeated resets of the gimbal.  

See video at the following link documenting the problem on two flights: http://youtu.be/pLRbEZ9Z8fk

http://youtu.be/pLRbEZ9Z8fk

2015-1-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

My god that's horrible has it been doing that the whole time you've been flying ? Wow..
Are connecting pins on the camera or inspire fouled ,and you fly it like that braver man than I .
2015-1-21
Use props
william.lemoine
lvl.1

United States

I don't need camera to sustain flight with telemetry and no it doesn't do it all the time.  Just with certain conditions and I've basically learned how to reset it.  However, it can have the tendency to ruin a great footage pass.
2015-1-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

That's wild that's a return possibly.
2015-1-21
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>
United States

After the last firmware update mine will not keep the horizon level. I have to adjust the gimbal roll, sometimes more than once a flight. Though it is nothing like that video. It is stable just not level.
2015-1-21
Use props
airymok
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2623652 ft
China

did u already do IMU calibration? maybe that helps
2015-1-21
Use props
DJI-Terry
lvl.2

China

Hi, William, pls try IMU calibration and come back to us with the result. Thanks.
2015-1-22
Use props
william.lemoine
lvl.1

United States

Guys:

This not a case of the aircraft controls or IMU.  It happens when the aircrafts rotors are not even turned on.
2015-1-25
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

william.lemoine Posted at 2015-1-26 13:11
Guys:

This not a case of the aircraft controls or IMU.  It happens when the aircrafts rotors are no ...

what do you think where the gimbal gets it's attitude Information (of the aircraft) from?
If the IMU says there's a bank, it will correct...

IMU and compass calibration often sorts gimbal attitude issues out....
2015-1-26
Use props
william.lemoine
lvl.1

United States

This problem still exists
2015-2-5
Use props
info.rossfeighe
lvl.1

United States

I have this problem but not as severe as you. One of my connectors is bent because I twisted the lens cap too much so I'm hoping that is the issue. I also have been flying in some cold + wind so that might be the problem. Hoping it's fixed in the next firmware. Another person replied in another thread saying to power up the inspire and remote with no gimbal attached then reboot and it was solved for them. I've just done this but haven't tested out if it's fixed yet. Are you flying with your landing gear down?

By the way your high altitude flight at night looks pretty sketchy, sure that's a good idea? Were you over 400ft?
2015-2-5
Use props
arttiboy
lvl.1

Thailand

I also have that gimbal problem. now on processing in replacement new one.

2015-2-6
Use props
Eubster
lvl.1

United States

Same problem here.

2015-3-31
Use props
kstrysick
New

Costa Rica

Hey everyone, I just bought an Inspire 1 updated as required and we experienced the same issue with the gimbal not being horizontal.  IE video was not level and looked like the camera was at about a 5 degree off of level.
I am an experienced pilot with well over five hundred hours of fly time with several types of drones including servicing them. In fact, we use them to survey mining sites throughout North, Central and South America. I am also an Engineer.
The documentation DJI has provided is enough to make the novice very dangerous and gives us experienced pilots no comfort the product is being sold without complete and thorough caution and proper training. No matter what you think, these are not toys. The most important part of flying is the drones position in relation to you. If you lose your camera due to a malfunction the number one rule is fly the drone based on the data it provides you. IE altitude, distance and direction all of which is provided in the pilot app.
What we found is as follows; when you calibrate your IMU, you have to do it on the most level surface possible. If you perform this operation on a surface that is a couple degrees off the gimbal will calibrate to that off positioning. Get yourself a level and make a surface such as a small table and make it as perfect as you can. Then initiate the IMU calibration. Then on the same surface calibrate the gimbal.  We found this to be a major stop gap measure to the issue of gimbal to drone positioning in the whole calibration process.
2015-4-8
Use props
advancedaerials
lvl.2
Flight distance : 313114 ft
United States

I am having the same problems with my gimbal.  I have tried everything I can think of.  I have calibrated the IMU multiple times using a level to make sure everything was exactly level, I have calibrated the compass after every IMU calibration.  I updated the firmware, I calibrated the gimbal after every other calibration and still have the same problems.  I made a video showing just how bad the horizon is off.  I am waiting to hear back from my dealer about what should be done.  

2015-4-20
Use props
luan.ngotran
New

Vietnam

I have this terrible problem also. I did everything: calibrate gimbal DONE calibrate compass DONE calibrate IMU DONE. Things start off fine when you check it. Then you focus on flying amd taking video. Then you go home to discover your memory card is full of crap: almost all of the them have the horizon not horizontal. My Inspire 1 is only 1 week old. Did I calibrate all of them the wrong way? I hope so but I don't know as DJI does not seem to have a document detailing how specially I should do it. DJI must do something about it. It is terrible.
2015-5-4
Use props
drs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 690863 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the exact same problem, and my brother who also has an Inspire 1 has the same problem. This is after calibrating the IMU, and calibrating the Gimbal on a flat surface. The issue happens when flying the Inspire 1 sideways (Yawing). I can usually fix the tile by rotating the Inspire 1 in the air, but that doesn't help fix the bad video. And it also quickly drifts off again as soon as you fly sideways.

I got a new gimbal from DJI, and it did not fix the problem.  
2015-10-3
Use props
matiwerner14
lvl.1

Poland

Hi I have my inspire V2.0 the same problem
2016-1-1
Use props
matiwerner14
lvl.1

Poland

Hi I have Inspire 1 v2.0 and the same problem..  anybody know how to fix it??
2016-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules