NEW FAA RULES HELP PLEASE !
12Next >
2849 54 2016-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneCityYT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259042 ft

Hi so im kind of worried about flying my drone now in the new FAA rules it now states that you need to be at least 16 to fly a drone and im 14 but I bought my drone before even the regulations. Will I still be able to fly or no ?
2016-6-21
Use props
Octoman
lvl.1
United States

Yea you better sell it... =)

Well to be legal you probably have to fly with a knowledgable person over the age of 16 I would assume. A parent would be a good start. As long as you're not doing dopey things you probably will be fine.
2016-6-21
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

Hmmm. Grandfathered at 14? (sorry) Seriously, it's a good question. Certainly your parents/guardians (who are responsible for your actions) should know what you are doing and that you have concerns. No question about this. I hope they are sensible people.

I didn't see the age limit. It would seem to me that if you were flying before, you should be able to fly now. You probably fly better than I do. There is a bunch of back and forth as to whether these rules apply to hobbyists, or just people making money with their bird. I'm flying as if they did not release any rules for hobbyists, as I personally don't think it applies to us. If you are making money with it, then yes it would probably matter. This is merely my opinion! We all have them. Someone else can finish the joke.

Barney
2016-6-21
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-6-21 20:27
Hmmm. Grandfathered at 14? (sorry) Seriously, it's a good question. Certainly your parents/guardians ...

If you are flying just as a hobby then you follow the normal rules of a rc aircraft. you can google those. Part 107 is only for small time commercial use from what I can tell.
2016-6-21
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you flying for hobby or comercialy?
2016-6-21
Use props
mvmerk09
lvl.1

What seemed so strange to me about the FAA rules is that there are heliports all over the place.  Each one requires a 5 mile radius.  I knew I was more than 5 miles from the closest airport, but never considered the many heliports in the area.  The FAA rules say that you can contact the control tower of the heliport to get permission to fly within 5 miles - has anyone ever done that?
2016-6-21
Use props
sergio.go
lvl.2

United States

mvmerk09@gmail. Posted at 2016-6-21 22:08
What seemed so strange to me about the FAA rules is that there are heliports all over the place.  Ea ...

I fly at a park by my house that's 3.5 miles away from the airport. Whenever I go there I check in with the control tower letting them know and also asking permission to fly. Just state how high you will be going and how long. They've never given me issues. I always call them back once I'm done as a curtesy and thank them. At this point I've done it enough that I don't ask permission anymore just let them know that I'll be out there flying and how long lol
2016-6-21
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Rules released today (not in force until late August) are regarding commercial use.
2016-6-21
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

The new rules are specifically for commercial use, not hobby and recreational so you are okay.
2016-6-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DroneCity,

Gary nailed it!  How old will you be in late August?  Also, they lowered the age for commercial operator to 15.  But, if you are flying as a hobbyist, you have nothing to worry about as others have noted.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-21
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

Octoman Posted at 2016-6-22 08:26
Yea you better sell it... =)

Well to be legal you probably have to fly with a knowledgable person  ...

Yeah i already have my parents with me since i need a ride
2016-6-22
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-6-22 08:27
Hmmm. Grandfathered at 14? (sorry) Seriously, it's a good question. Certainly your parents/guardians ...

Well i film and post on youtube but most of my videos are copyrighted due to the music i choose so i dont make money does that count though?
2016-6-22
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-22 09:24
If you are flying just as a hobby then you follow the normal rules of a rc aircraft. you can googl ...

Does youtube count as commercial but at the same time i was planning on using the phantom as a buisness by taking photos of homes and selling to realtors but now i got to find a way to get around that
2016-6-22
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-6-22 09:26
Are you flying for hobby or comercialy?

Semi commercial for now
2016-6-22
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

DroneCityYT Posted at 2016-6-23 06:18
Well i film and post on youtube but most of my videos are copyrighted due to the music i choose so ...

No. If you are not making money, it is just a hobby and I doubt the new 'rules' apply. Keep in mind also that the 'rules' say anything under 55 lbs, so this means the little $25 drones fall into this category as well. I don't think they make those little drones for 'adults' to fly around.

Barney
2016-6-22
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-6-23 06:37
No. If you are not making money, it is just a hobby and I doubt the new 'rules' apply. Keep in min ...

True.. thanks!
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

DroneCityYT Posted at 2016-6-23 06:20
Does youtube count as commercial but at the same time i was planning on using the phantom as a bui ...

There is no way of getting around taking photos of homes and selling them to Realtors and not having a commercial license. The only way around it is to do it illegally.
2016-6-22
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 10:47
There is no way of getting around taking photos of homes and selling them to Realtors and not havi ...

How do I apply for a license?
2016-6-22
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneCityYT Posted at 2016-6-22 18:30
How do I apply for a license?

Aloha DroneCity,

My earlier response to you about your age turns out to apply to hobbyist and recreational operators.  So your age may be a problem.  But, problems were intended to be solved one way or the other.  

The new commercial rules do not become effective until August as noted earlier.  Until then, the FAA is putting processes and procedures in place for Part 107 Certification (and Exemptions).  There will be testing and vetting for the certification and study materials developed in that time.  The Part 107 Exemption is for micro UAS operators - Phantom fliers.  And you will not have to get a pilots license to fly a Phantom commercially.

The Part 107 Exemption is made up of waivers.  The applicant has to justify why a waiver applies to their type of flying.  An applicant can get a waiver for almost any part of the new rules.  It is surprising when you look at the parts of Part 107 you can get a waiver for.  In your case, you should email or call the FAA sUAS administrator and inquire if you can apply for an age waiver.  With parental support and good performance on the testing for certification, they may encourage you to try.  If the only thing you fail is the age test, it would be hard for the FAA to not give you an age waiver.

Look at this thread I started about the Part 107 waivers for exceptions;

http://forum.dji.com/thread-56158-1-2.html

Look closely at the fifth listing under "Top Tasks".  Then look at the "Operating Rules" and way down at the bottom, look at the very fine print and see what it says.  It is going to take some time (until August) for all the programs to come on line, but the FAA sUAS web page is there to help you get in the air commercially.

There is plenty out there that you are going to have to study if you want the exemption, and much of it is already available, but not in study form (by August it will be in study form).  This 624 page document contains the "Final Part 107 Rules" and explains why the rules are in place.  Just what you need to know.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

If you download it, you can search it way more easily than while it is on line.  Use the "Control F" function and enter your search word or words (it accepts at least 2) in the box that opens up on the upper right.  (You can also customize the screen for easy viewing if you take some time to do it.)

If you choose to start from the beginning and just plow through the full 624 pages like you would a Harry Potter or Twilight book, do not let the confusing parts stop you.  Keep a note pad and just write the page and subject and then come back to it later.  Sometimes, if you just keep reading, the confusion of what you read earlier becomes simpler and more clear to you.  

There is so much discussion about how come the rules were made and who commented about what and why, that it gets real interesting - especially to a 14 year old drone operator.  You will really understand what it takes and what it means to be a commercial UAS operator by the time you are done.  And if you can tell the FAA sUAS administrator that you read the whole 624 pages, and he quizzes you right there on the phone, that administrator is going to help you get the exemption.

You can do it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-23
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-23 18:42
Aloha DroneCity,

My earlier response to you about your age turns out to apply to hobbyist an ...

I am a private investigator in Florida. If I get the 107 I would like to use drones as part of my gear for investigations. As I see it drones are considered and aircraft. As A PI in Florida you can use an aircraft (Helicopters/Airplanes/Hot Air Balloons etc... to get video/pics for a client. I called the Department that regulate us and they are totally clueless? Any thoughts or do you see a problem with using drones in investigations.
2016-6-23
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-6-23 12:56
I am a private investigator in Florida. If I get the 107 I would like to use drones as part of my  ...

Interesting......being a hobbyist and flying a quadcopter automatically makes you guilty of illegal spying in many people's eyes.   Turn it in to a profession where you ACTUALLY are spying on people and it is OK..... hmmmm, something really wrong with that logic.
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-6-24 00:56
I am a private investigator in Florida. If I get the 107 I would like to use drones as part of my  ...

I don't see why you cannot operate them with the "Remote PIC" license.
Just have to wait and see the rules and restrictions.
If you look at the FAA website and see some of people's exemptions and the blanket COA you see tons or restrictions. One being cannot fly within 500ft of any non-participants (the distance has been reduced a little) but if they keep a restriction like that then most people will not be able to comply with that and cannot operate legally. But since something was said about not flying over crowds then that rule may not even be an issue.
As of now if you have a exemption and wanted to do Real Estate photos/video it's just about impossible unless the home is on several acres with no other homes or people around withing the radius of your aircraft.
2016-6-23
Use props
DroneCityYT
lvl.4

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-23 18:42
Aloha DroneCity,

My earlier response to you about your age turns out to apply to hobbyist an ...

Thanks this really helped. Im going to study it
2016-6-23
Use props
raveneapoe
lvl.2

United States

There are so many federal and state rules and regulations that I highly doubt that everyone doesn't break a few of 'em every week...
2016-6-23
Use props
ShuanD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131224 ft

That is WHY operators are going to be tested on ALL the rules prior to getting a Remote Pilots License.
2016-6-23
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 07:32
I don't see why you cannot operate them with the "Remote PIC" license.
Just have to wait and see t ...

Aloha Ken,

The FAA is also working to address the drone privacy issue;

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/n ... ccountability_0.pdf

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-23
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-6-23 06:56

Aloha pidick,

This is interesting.  Actually, the FAA and other Federal entities have come up with;

Look through this to see if your efforts fit in there anywhere.  If helicopters can investigate anyone, then drones can to.  That appears to be the FAA position, but there are limitations - drones can get closer!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-23
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneCityYT Posted at 2016-6-23 09:01
Thanks this really helped. Im going to study it

Aloha DroneCity,

Great, you will find plenty of support in this Forum!  If you have problems, just post to the Forum and we will do our best to help you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-23
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-6-23 12:56

In Florida, drones are specifically banned from use collecting surveillance. Do so and you won't have your license for much longer. See http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statu ... ctions/0934.50.html
2016-6-24
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

raveneapoe Posted at 2016-6-24 06:14
There are so many federal and state rules and regulations that I highly doubt that everyone doesn't  ...

You can break state felony law if you don't throw away your unfinished prescription pills after the prescription time. Illegal possession of controlled substance.  Someone was actually charged for this.

Lots of cases like this..
2016-6-24
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-24 01:07
Interesting......being a hobbyist and flying a quadcopter automatically makes you guilty of illega ...

I think he means taking photos of certain locations and events.  Stalking and surveillance is banned.
2016-6-24
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

I worry about what state and local laws will be put into effect. No matter what the FAA says, your local town or state could come out and say, no drones in our town!, and that would be the law you would would fall under. Google Augusta, GA bans drones over crowds.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-24 15:21
Aloha Ken,

The FAA is also working to address the drone privacy issue;

that is an interesting document, don't know if the FAA would ever refer to it.
2016-6-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 04:12
that is an interesting document, don't know if the FAA would ever refer to it.

Aloha Ken,

They did already in the Part 107 press release.  Now it is in the sUAS FAQ (I think).  I will check, but I referred to it elsewhere in this Forum.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-25 09:15
Aloha Ken,

They did already in the Part 107 press release.  Now it is in the sUAS FAQ (I thi ...

There's so much happening with everything it's hard to keep track of it all.
2016-6-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 16:26
There's so much happening with everything it's hard to keep track of it all.

Aloha Ken,

You got that right!!!!!  Hell, I screwed up twice already with information problems because there is so much information.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-25 11:43
Aloha Ken,

You got that right!!!!!  Hell, I screwed up twice already with information proble ...

That's funny, and in the coming weeks there will be a ton more information
2016-6-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 19:23

Aloha Ken,

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ccbiggz Posted at 2016-6-24 00:31
I worry about what state and local laws will be put into effect. No matter what the FAA says, your l ...

Aloha biggz,

Sorry for Augusta, GA, the FAA beat them to it.  The FAA had previously banned flights over crowds and stadiums unless those people had approved of the flight and were there with knowledge of the flight.  The FAA controls the airspace.  Local and state governments control launch & landing spots (but, sometimes the states and local governments just do not know it).

But, there are also FAA efforts to provide guidelines for the protection of privacy;

The FAA worked with the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to create the guidelines.  There is so much information coming to light these days and most of it is helpful.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-24
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 19:23

Aloha Ken,

I found the 17 pages of just the new Part 107 rules (no discussion) at the end of the 624 document and I edited it to a more readable form.  Can you find me an email address I can send the MS WORD document to so you can post it.  We cannot upload MSWORD files.  Our Forum members will find the 17 pages much less daunting than the 624 page document.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules