Moonlight on Trabuco Creek
991 5 2016-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danasay
lvl.3
United States

Recorded with DJI Phantom 3 Professional.
Edited with Davinci Resolve 12.5.
Day for night grading, Sky replacement.

2016-6-26
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Very cool video
2016-6-26
Use props
danasay
lvl.3

Thanks, DJI Paladin.  Fun to make.
2016-6-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha danasay,

Once again you are establishing yourself as a master of post!  Nice job.  Interesting effects.  Are the day for night grading and sky replacement options in DaVinci or did you make it up?  

Now, I got to upgrade mine and download it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-28
Use props
danasay
lvl.3

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-28 16:04
Aloha danasay,

Once again you are establishing yourself as a master of post!  Nice job.  Inter ...

Aloha Cetaman,

Thanks for the compliment.

"Day for night" color grading has been around for as long as movies have been around.  Typically, it is used in areas that are too large to properly illuminate with night simulation lighting.  I was inspired to try it, from tutorials on YT.  For me, it is a manual process (after primary white balance, add blue gain and blue gamma and lower the gain, saturation, etc.).  However, you could use a LUT or just save a graded clip for future uses (middle click).

Sky replacement is the trickier part.  Consistent camera direction during recording, compatible sky choice with matching sun direction.  Qualifier tools are usually the most difficult if the initial sky to be replaced has overlapping hue, sat, and lum.  Power windows eliminate some of the overlap.  I used many manual keyframes for zoom and position of the new sky layer, in order to keep the sky aligned with the distant objects.  The sky alignment can be maintained by the tracker if conditions are suitable.

2016-6-28
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

danasay@cox.net Posted at 2016-6-28 11:38
Aloha Cetaman,

Thanks for the compliment.

Aloha danasay,

Now that you mention it, I remember watching a documentary that included coverage of the Day for Night technique.  Nice challenge.  And I was hoping you found a really good way to video at night!  I will look up the tutorials on YT.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules