Damaged battery cell & customer service
2963 7 2016-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
conner.owen
New
Flight distance : 103481 ft
United States

So to sum up this long post in a sentence. Expect no support from DJI if you receive a battery cell damaged error.

I received a Phantom 3 Standard this year as a wonderful Christmas gift. Brand new in the box, my inner child was released. The Phantom was purchased around November 18, sat wrapped up under the tree for a little over a month, and was opened on December 25. The Phantom didn't get a lot of air time in the winter months. When the temperature was above freezing I took every opportunity to go out and fly, but that didn't happen a lot. Finally, spring came around the corner and I was flying the phantom weekly. I decided that it was time to purchase a second battery for more flight time.

My original battery that I've been flying on had around 20 cycles on it and 95% of it's life left. The new battery had less than 10 cycles on it and was still at 98% life. Towards the end of May I was firing up the Phantom to capture a stunning sunset, and I received the dreaded "Battery Cell Damaged - Do Not Fly" error message. I was baffled as to why I received this message. The battery I was flying on was practically brand new. It was always properly maintained and cared for. I right away contacted DJI support. After bending over backwards trying to find proof of purchase and providing them with picture, descriptions of the problem and everything else they requested they stated that I could ship the battery out for warranty repair. Great! I thought. After a week went by I was contacted, it was good news, the battery could be fixed! But for $145 because the battery was 20 days out of it's warranty.

I was honestly appalled. The customer service rep that was handling my case obviously saw on my proof of purchase the date it was purchased, why wasn't I told then that the cost of repair wouldn't be covered. I immediately contacted the support team again asking if there was any way the rules could be bent a little so I wouldn't have to pay for practically a brand new battery since it was so close to the original warranty. I wasn't expecting a hand out, but a bigger discount than $5 off of retail for a new batter. This is a hobby after all. It's hard to justify dropping hundreds left and right for a new battery. The customer service rep informed me that nothing could be done for me and suggested buying a new battery. I requested for the damaged battery to be shipped back to me because I wasn't going to be paying that amount for something to be repaired that was practically brand new.

I'm disappointed in DJI, I've invested and believed in their products. I've always told friends and family how much I recommend them for making such great products. I've only recently started to regret backing them. Even they don't believe in their products. If they truly believed that they made great products, they would back the customer with a warranty longer than 6 months. They would also give their customers better support instead of trying to wash their hands of the issue by just saying "buy a new battery."

Get yourself together DJI, I'm disappointed in you guys.
2016-6-29
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

Warranties lengths are warranties lengths, if they always bent the rules and did something 2 days, 5 days, 20 days, 30 days, then whats the point of even having the warranty length. Might as well make it a lifetime one. Yes it does kinda suck that you barely used it, maybe try charging it up, let it just run in the drone w/o flying till its dead and repeat that a few times. Its possible that it can repair the cell.

2016-6-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry about your situation, the battery warranty is 6 months.
Have you done a battery calibration ?
If not do a calibration and then power everything up and go to the advanced settings of the battery page tell me the history and which record has the cell error and what the most most recent records say.
Also, what is your ticket number and let me look into it.
2016-6-29
Use props
Slow Down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163599 ft
Hong Kong

Feel sorry for your experience. The rules are the rules...
2016-6-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Conner,
I am sorry but they will not warranty the battery and they are sending it back.
I charged it up and I do see the previous cell errors. The individual and total cell voltage are showing no issues.
They are sending the battery back to you. It is up to you if you want to use the battery or not but I see it was in storage mode. I did not fly with it but only tested it in an aircraft.
Again, I am sorry that it cannot be covered under warranty.
2016-6-30
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-30 13:40
Conner,
I am sorry but they will not warranty the battery and they are sending it back.
I charged it ...

Did DJI ever actually send his battery back and, if so, how much did they charge for the shipping?  

I have the same issue (http://forum.dji.com/thread-65691-1-1.html) and I've been waiting for over two weeks for somebody to tell me how much to have it shipped back.

Ken, this is only my second interaction with DJI service.  The first was great.  This one... not so much.  For someone who has spent over $6000.00 buying six Phantoms and miscellaneous items since Feb 2014 I am not feeling inspired to maintain a lot of customer loyalty.  

Or hold my tongue.
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2016-10-7 05:34
Did DJI ever actually send his battery back and, if so, how much did they charge for the shipping? ...

I replied in the other thread, battery being sent back to you.
Sorry about that.
2016-10-6
Use props
djiuser_ZX5hoN0bCttm
New

Indonesia

hello, I am from Indonesia, I would like to ask if I want to buy the DJI Spark Battery Cell Part where I really need this information give me a link to buy
2020-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules