A whacky thing to do, so I did it.
2656 16 2016-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Being the proud owner of a Phantom 3,  as well as a Seek XR thermal imaging camera that plugs into my Samsung S5 Galaxy device,  it seemed to be a natural thing to try and meld the two technologies together.  I never said I was the owner of good sense.  
The Samsung Galaxy S5,  with the Seek thermal camera attached,  weights exactly 158.5 grams according to my triple balance beam scale.
I made a small sleeve for the S5 that attached to the bottom of the landing skids by way of Velcro tabs.  I placed a rubber band around the Seek camera and the S5 to keep the two from becoming separated.  I attached the sleeve,  with device inside across the bottom of the skids,  so the thermal camera was extended past the left side bottom skid enough to have a clear view.  The S5 fits almost exactly across from one skid to the other.  I centered the assembly directly below the Phantoms camera,  so the VPS would probably,  ( maybe ) have had a usable view,  if I had it turned on.  The Phantoms camera had enough clearance for full normal range of motion,  but of course could only see ahead and very slightly down.
Winds here tonight are about 12mph,  gusting at times to almost 20mph.  
I placed the P3 on its landing pad,  powered up,  checked,  all systems go,  and took off.
Control response was a little sluggish, but fully effective.  The wind did cause a bit more motion than normal.  The Phantom had to work a bit,  but did hold position pretty well.  I flew only a short while,  due to being scared shitless,  ( pardon the language,  please.  It is very accurate).  and brought it home for a hand catch landing.

Drain on the battery was of course a bit heavier than usual.  But,  if necessary,  this will be a workable configuration.  The Seek XR camera has an advertised range of around 1900 feet with a 20 degree field of view.

I was compelled to attempt this due to the fact  that a 71 year old woman who suffers from dementia disappeared up here last month.  Had I had the ability to do so,  I would have gone searching with the thermal camera the very first night she disappeared.  The local mountain rescue did not bring in a helicopter until the next day,  and they did not fly at night.  They searched for a week.  The woman still has not been found.

This is rugged country,  with plenty of places to fall off the edge of,  or be eaten by mountain lions or coyotes.  It has been very hot also.  Her chances for survival were pretty much gone by day 3.  And even a thermal camera is not much good after that.

It gives me the shivers to think of this poor woman wandering around up here,  and what may have been her fate.  
2016-7-12
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting.  Post some photos of your P3+S5+Seek thermal camera setup and also some photos taken with the Seek thermal camera.  What is the approx. cost and resolution of the Seek thermal camera?

Can you remotely trigger taking videos or photos with the thermal camera and S5 mounted to the P3 or do you just start recording before you take off?  Similarly, can you see live video from the thermal camera while flying?  If not, its use for search and rescue operations would be very limited, I'm afraid.
2016-7-16
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Yeah.  That's so sad.   People don't think (or care)

ALL they had to do was make sure a GPS tracker was attached to her at all times.  
They actually make special ones that are specifically for people with alzheimers or other mental disorders that can result in them wandering off.
2016-7-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-16 08:10
Very interesting.  Post some photos of your P3+S5+Seek thermal camera setup and also some photos tak ...

Live,  I suppose you could screen cast. I don't know what kind of range you would get.  I have to start recording before I take off.  And by flying a grid pattern and using gps coordinates to physically investigate,  I imagine it would be more useful than you think.   We have had high winds here lately,  so I have no flown,  but next time I fly with the thermal,  I will post some video.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, can you put a video of this? Thank you.

I checked the Seek XR on Youtube,  it seems to be a bit rudimentary, you may have difficulty spotting a human in a bush beyond 100 feet?
2016-7-18
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-18 20:50
Hi, can you put a video of this? Thank you.

I checked the Seek XR on Youtube,  it seems to be a bit ...

Well,  I've seen my dog at over 100 feet with no problem.  In the daytime,  it may not be too effective.  But at night,  once things cool down,  the seek is pretty good at detecting heat sources.  The claimed range is nearly 2000 feet.  I will be happy with 250 feet.
2016-7-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-7-20 09:29
Well,  I've seen my dog at over 100 feet with no problem.  In the daytime,  it may not be too effe ...

Any idea how you can see the image while it is in the air? If you saw someone, it would be good to have co-ordinates to report.
2016-7-19
Use props
Jetboys
lvl.2
Flight distance : 535020 ft

the inspire can now be ordered with a thermal camera .
2016-7-19
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-19 21:06
Any idea how you can see the image while it is in the air? If you saw someone, it would be good to ...

I think he plans to install the heat-detecting camera on his cellphone, and hang the cellphone on the drone, and point the camera of the drone at the screen of the phone.

That's how people play Pokemon with a drone
2016-7-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-20 12:40
I think he plans to install the heat-detecting camera on his cellphone, and hang the cellphone on t ...

Well, that won't work as the camera on the Phantom will not focus close enough to see the screen of the phone.
2016-7-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-19 19:43
Well, that won't work as the camera on the Phantom will not focus close enough to see the screen o ...

No,  no.  I am not trying to do that.  The phone will record the video from the thermal camera.  The Phantoms camera will still provide fpv,  but only straight ahead,  as tilting it down would only show the phone.  I start the phone recording the thermal camera before the Phantom takes off and fly a grid.  Then I land and review the video recorded on the phone from the thermal camera. Even I, with an I.Q. suspected of being at least equal to room temperature on a cool day ,  would not try looking at the devices screen with the Phantoms camera from a distance of about half an inch.  
2016-7-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-19 19:40
I think he plans to install the heat-detecting camera on his cellphone, and hang the cellphone on t ...

See answer above ^^^^^
2016-7-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Jetboys Posted at 2016-7-19 19:13
the inspire can now be ordered with a thermal camera .

I want to try to be helpful if the need should arise.  But not helpful to the tune of the cost of the Inspire plus the extra $1,400 or so for the thermal camera.  Search and Rescue will have to buy that.
2016-7-20
Use props
Jetboys
lvl.2

so i tried your idea but used my flir one camera for iphone, heres what i did to find my buddy, i set up a grid on a map of my one acre field (like they would during a real search and rescue) . i then set the camera to take one photo per second. i then flew the grid just above the tree line. after that was done i went through the footage of the camera with the app set to compare all shots for noticeable heat differences. after i found the right frame i then compared that to my flight path and BAM there he was sitting at the edge of the river.
2016-7-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Jetboys Posted at 2016-7-20 10:55
so i tried your idea but used my flir one camera for iphone, heres what i did to find my buddy, i se ...

Good to know the Flir works as well. Do you have to shoot stills,  or will it do video?  Also,  did you try syncing the images with the Phantoms flight log so you could get gps coordinates for the location?  That is,  to me,  the real potential value.
2016-7-21
Use props
Jetboys
lvl.2

i dont think thats possible to do that (not on the flir app side but the gji app side)
2016-7-24
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Jetboys Posted at 2016-7-24 17:26
i dont think thats possible to do that (not on the flir app side but the gji app side)

Sure.  You can time sync the video from the flir with the video from the Phantom and the Phantoms flight log.  In the .dat file stored on the Phantoms internal sd card,  every parameter you can imagine is recorded for every flight,  numerous times each second.  The files are pretty big.
Anyway,  when you see your target,  check the flight log at that time and you will have gps coordinates.
2016-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules