12Next >
4166 61 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

The next case for the government.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/small-drone-crashes-at-white-house-complex-origin-unclear-1.1258730

2015-1-26
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

This is old news

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-1-26
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

If you want to fly up to aircraft or attack anybody - these babies can do it.................

2015-1-26
Use props
johnwarr.email
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I think LIPHANTOM is somewhat over reacting.
There are already more than enough regulations in place to stop this sort of thing, DJI themselves as a leading manufacture have built in no-fly zones that cover the White House and there are well published FAA / NOTAM zones.
The trouble is people can still ignore the rules and run unofficial apps to get round the restrictions if they really want to.
What is needed are some high profile fines and court cases to deter the idiots and send a clear message that this sort of thing will not be tolerated.
2015-1-26
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

johnwarr.email Posted at 2015-1-27 02:39
There are already more than enough regulations in pl ...

No overreaction.   I see the way this continues to be spun and its only a matter of time until big brother comes in to regulate everything.   Nothing to do with the idiots either.   In the name of National and Homeland security.  Once the public gets on board with this.... and they will...  the government will have all the power they need.   Freedom is an illusion.

My assault rifle is the perfect example.   It used to be glorious.  Now the government stepped in and  I have to follow some very strict regulations.   Why?   Because a few idiots decided to kill a bunch of people even with penalties in place for doing so.   You may be able to keep your hobby but it will be a shadow of what it is today.   Autonomous missions and ground station will probably be the first to go.

2015-1-26
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

johnwarr.email Posted at 2015-1-27 02:39
There are already more than enough regulations in pl ...

I agree with LIPHANTOM. The anti-drone people will use this to pressure the FAA and governments (local, state & Fed) to move forward with anti-recreational drone laws. It is like when something bad or stupid happens with a gun, gun owners are painted in bad light and new gun lays are passed.

The man who owns the drone is in trouble, it is illegal to fly any remote controlled aircraft in Washington DC. So even if it was a fly away he has got legal problems.
2015-1-26
Use props
dbeck.email
lvl.4

United States

As soon as people like LipPhantom start overeaching and start tying the Assault weapon Ban to flying drones, thats when the trouble starts.
2015-1-26
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

dbeck.email Posted at 2015-1-27 03:34
As soon as people like LipPhantom start overeaching and start tying the Assault weapon Ban to flying ...

No, the moron who crashed his drone on the white house lawn is where it started.  
2015-1-26
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

dbeck.email Posted at 2015-1-27 03:34
As soon as people like LipPhantom start overeaching and start tying the Assault weapon Ban to flying ...

You must be an anti-gun person.
2015-1-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, being as the FAA just testified to Congress that:
1. They have no idea when they will finish the standards
2. They want to integrate drones in to the US airspace and understand the economic benefits

It's hard to imagine that "the ban is coming". Of course, some folks think "the end is coming". Many thought that in the 1950's - and probably long before. It didn't come.

So the proof is in the pudding. Others can worry. I will fly. If the paranoid are correct, I'll worry about that when it happens. Meanwhile, motorcycles are killing and maiming a vast percentage of those who drive them regularly and even cars are virtual killing machines. Booze and fast foods are wiping out millions....watch for the bans while I eat, drink and be merry!
2015-1-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

And you can buy a lethal weapon of virtually any kind with just a driver's licence! (Or a good copy of one!)...go figure!
Unfortunately it only takes a few idiots to raise hystaria amongst the masses!
Guns don't kill people, people kill people!
Cars don't kill people, people kill people!
Etc.
Etc.
2015-1-26
Use props
trailtec.email
lvl.2

Australia

Meanwhile, motorcycles are killing and maiming a vast percentage of those who drive them regularly and even cars are virtual killing machines.

Yes but banning bikes, cars or fast food would lose you a lot more votes than banning drones mate. We don't have a powerful lobby group that can throw millions at the issue neither do dedicated drone flyers make up a sizable percentage of the voting public, ergo we are an easy target.
PS - Liphantom: Nice Border Collie you have there.
2015-1-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

exactly trail, if you ban 'guns' lobbyists come out of the woodwork with billions (not to mention that they have the constitution and 300 years of gun existence in every day life backing them up).  drones, on the other hand, are not explicitly protected by the constitution nor have they been around for as long as guns, cars, etc... AND we dont really have anyone out there lobbying FOR us like the others do (guns, cars, etc).  so while i am not very paranoid (if i have to find anohter hobby at some point, ill just find another hobby haha even tho ill be disappointed), it wouldnt take much of a knee jerk reaction from an isolated but very bad drone event for the govt to crap all over our hobby, at least it could happen if a very different way than with the others like cars, guns, etc.
2015-1-27
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wait, they had drones in the 1950s??
2015-1-27
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

The authorities world wide want to really take control of the skies and if anybody is good at invading people's privacy then they should know - they are the experts.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/2 ... /index.html?lang=en
2015-1-27
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you look at the "No Fly" areas in the DJI firmware (http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc), you can see that he was in an area that allowed flight (although illegal), but with restrictions. Anyone wanna bet that he was either flying in manual mode or didn't wait for the GPS lock?
2015-1-27
Use props
csauer52
lvl.1

United States

jmims@me.com Posted at 2015-1-27 23:41
If you look at the "No Fly" areas in the DJI firmware (http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc), you ...

Well, considering this apparently happened around 6:00 a.m., I think it's quite reasonable to believe this flight was intentional. Not saying the crash was intentional, but he was clearly looking to draw as little attention as possible to himself. I guess that plan backfired....

I still don't understand why anyone would think it's safe to fly these things in highly populated areas. When was the last time you heard of an RC aircraft or helicopter crashing in a major metropolitan area? I can't recall any....
2015-1-27
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

This is the map that i use and it looks like all of DC has a temp ban on drones.
https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/
2015-1-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-1-28 01:34
This is the map that i use and it looks like all of DC has a temp ban on drones.
https://www.mapbox. ...

All of the District of Columbia has a ban on flying.  DJI just has certain classes of airports incorporated into their programming.
2015-1-27
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Obama: Drone That Landed At The White House Highlights 'Broader Problem'

In an interview broadcast on Tuesday, Obama said he had asked the Federal Aviation Administration to examine how the United States is managing the influx of flying devices "because the drone that landed in the White House you buy in RadioShack."
2015-1-27
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

He should have said "I've got no problem with every idiot buying a machine gun, but when it comes to toys landing in my back yard, that's a different story..."
2015-1-27
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Until something truly serious happens, like one falls out from 300 feet and kills some poor person below the government will continue to mickey mouse this.  At one time you did not need a different license to drive a motorcycle but things got too nutty.  Now you are required to have a license AND wear a helmet.  We are doing things that endanger the public and as a result we will bring this on ourselves.  
2015-1-27
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

United States

I wonder how unreasonable the FAAs new regulations will be now? If we are going to ban things just because a dumb terrorist might try to use it then we can say goodbye to new technology. The terrorist use cars to hurt people is the government going to ban cars? Even if the FAA dose ban our quads the only people the wont have them is us. The terrorist will buy them from the black market or build their own.  What gets me is as long as rc aircraft have been around they have never been used to do harm.
2015-1-27
Use props
trailtec.email
lvl.2

Australia

The terrorist use cars to hurt people is the government going to ban cars?

Cars are owned by millions of voters so are firearms, both are huge industries with multi million dollar lobby groups protecting their interests in Washington. Drones are not and do not, drones are an easy target and severe restriction on their use may even prove a popular move with the majority of citizens who thanks to bad press see drones as a danger to their privacy and safety.

For a reply on your point about RC having been around a long time see the other thread.
2015-1-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to chuckle at the "have to wear a helmet" stuff. Next thing people will complain about using seat belts on planes and having to have smoke detectors in their homes!

There are now over 7 billion people on the planet. If you want real freedom, get some cash and buy 10,000+ acres like Robert Redford and many others have done and do all the stupid stuff there.

Let's see......it's "freedom" to not have health insurance and wear a helmet, but woe be it if we leave the idiots who crash without helmets at the side of the road with massive brain damage, right?

Hey, freedom.....why not take the helmets off all the school age kids playing football? That way we can scramble their brains enough that it won't matter if they ride bikes without helmets!

I guess we can't fix stupid - as far as drones or anything else. All we can try to do is protect the rest of us (society at large)  from cleaning up their messes.
2015-1-27
Use props
pondy
lvl.1

Australia

LIPHANTOM Posted at 2015-1-27 03:37
No, the moron who crashed his drone on the white house lawn is where it started.

You'll probably find it was a staged event from the government themselves.
2015-1-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

pondy@live.com Posted at 2015-1-28 12:58
You'll probably find it was a staged event from the government themselves.

Great conspiracy theory you got there.
2015-1-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

it was actually my drone, not his.  

i believe his is still performing a flyaway to south africa (some of you real forum whores will get that last reference)...

figures that the govt hasnt put the whole picture together yet...
2015-1-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-28 13:13
it was actually my drone, not his.  

i believe his is still performing a flyaway to south africa (s ...

At least, they cannot blame this one on me,  Gertrude and Heathcliff still won't go outside in the cold winds and deep snow.
2015-1-27
Use props
pondy
lvl.1

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-28 13:04
Great conspiracy theory you got there.

No conspiracy, think about it, you want drones banned, you start crashing them into places drones are not meant to be, legislation get passed overnight, deal done.
2015-1-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

pondy@live.com Posted at 2015-1-28 13:34
No conspiracy, think about it, you want drones banned, you start crashing them into places drones  ...

Where do they get the fall guy?
2015-1-27
Use props
motnahp
lvl.1

Australia

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-28 03:30
He should have said "I've got no problem with every idiot buying a machine gun, but when it comes to ...

Phanton not a toy u shude not call it toy
2015-1-27
Use props
motnahp
lvl.1

Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-28 08:12
I have to chuckle at the "have to wear a helmet" stuff. Next thing people will complain about using  ...

reely ware a helmut. is it law ware is it law. i not ware
2015-1-27
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

Well it turns out the guy flying the Phantom was drunk.  That is his story at least.   Yes, it was a Phantom.  Pictures of a busted up Phantom all over the news.

The more bad press the worse this will get.   Bring the Federal government into this and you could see some serious restrictions and possible bans very fast.

This isn't the story yet.  We are just warming up.   Once you read "Drone strapped with explosives crashes into the white house"  That will be the end of this hobby as we know it.

2015-1-28
Use props
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

Looks like there will be a firmware update forcing responsible flying.
http://time.com/3685668/drone-dji-phantom-washington-white-house/
always some dummy to mess things up.

2015-1-28
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I can hear the beginning of the President's speech:  "My fellow americans......why are you all so damn dumb.."   And I would have to agree with him this time.
2015-1-28
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

TXWally Posted at 2015-1-28 23:21
Looks like there will be a firmware update forcing responsible flying.
http://time.com/3685668/dron ...

Saw that coming 15 miles away..  lol

The circle will keep getting bigger and bigger.   Sucks for anyone living in that area.  15 miles is a lot.
2015-1-28
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

United States

The governments answer to everything is to ban it or regulate it to the point you cant use it. No one should want to fly in DC anyway because with all the hot air coming from the white house I would think that would cause allot of turbulence.
2015-1-28
Use props
gerry1124.hotma
Second Officer

United States

sunny1994 Posted at 2015-1-29 00:14
The governments answer to everything is to ban it or regulate it to the point you cant use it. No on ...

Not to worry, the "do nothing" congress has done nothing for the last 6 years, they won't do anything for the next 6 years either.
2015-1-28
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

gerry1124.hotma Posted at 2015-1-29 00:19
Not to worry, the "do nothing" congress has done nothing for the last 6 years, they won't do anyth ...

Wishful thinking.   Its very much the hot topic these days.    We are just a news story away from "What if the terrorists use them"   Then we will have news companies creating scenarios and testing them just to see if they can for ratings.   Kind of like when they try to get things through the TSA.   

Once all that happens the public will go into a frenzy and demand resolution.  "Think about the children!!"   and well be lucky if we can fly these things in a corn field 50 miles from population.   

I know it sounds hysterical and I hope none of this takes place but they are getting way too much attention lately.   Hopefully it dies down.
2015-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules