Replacing Roll Arm
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Boblanglois52
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129567 ft
United States

I crashed my P3 Standard and wrecked the yaw and roll arms. I have found all kinds of help on YouTube about replacing the yaw arm and ribbon cable. I haven't found anything about the roll arm. I have the parts on order. Has anyone done this or found any instructions? The ring holding the motor cracked. The motor came out but seems to be undamaged. I will need to press it into the new roll arm and would like to know if it is just pressed in, or is it held in with some kind of adhesive. I could also use some instruction on gimbal motor assembly and disassembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The crash was a really stupid move on my part. Overconfidence after many successful Litchi missions.
Thanks for all of the great posts on this forum.

Bob
2016-8-1
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

Bob,

There are a lot of Youtube videos out there.. just have to search for one..  Will take a look and post if I find one.  Think I remember one that was soup to nuts, top to bottom disassembly and reassembly... BUT .. from what I've seen, if the crash was hard enough to wreck the arms, the odds that the motors came out intact are not great.  That whole gimbal assembly is really tightly dependent on everything being spot on.. Still at the price of the replacement parts, it's certainly worth a try.  Not 100% sure about the Standard, but I think the motor just "seats" back in and is not a forced press.  Make sure the ribbon cable didn't get damaged as well.  Good luck..

2016-8-1
Use props
Boblanglois52
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-1 09:41
Bob,

There are a lot of Youtube videos out there.. just have to search for one..  Will take a look  ...

Thanks for the response. I realize that the may be more damage than I can see. The ribbon cable is wrecked and ordered. The motors look and feel good. They move freely and are silky smooth. I'm finding a lot of videos about the yaw arm, but nothing in-depth about the roll arm. I will keep searching. I have a week before the parts come in.
2016-8-1
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash, Bob.It is recommended to contact our US service center and send it in for diagnosis and repairing.You can call +1 (818) 235 0789 or send an email to support.us@dji.com to get an RMA number and then send it in.
2016-8-1
Use props
Boblanglois52
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-1 22:16
Sorry for your crash, Bob.It is recommended to contact our US service center and send it in for diag ...

Thank you for the response. I am going to try my hand at the repair. The aircraft came through the crash with no damage except for 1 prop. I replaced all props and flew the drone. I really put it through its' paces and all works fine. These things are actually pretty tough. I will be replacing the yaw and roll arms, along with the ribbon cable. The motors show no signs of damage. I am pretty handy. I am a tool and die maker by trade and am accustomed to small, delicate components. I am actually looking forward to the repair. I am not too proud to yell for help. Wish me luck!
2016-8-2
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Boblanglois52 Posted at 2016-8-2 19:50
Thank you for the response. I am going to try my hand at the repair. The aircraft came through the ...

Bob..

Don't know if you saw this one, but he's replacing the entire flex cable which requires pretty much a dissassembly of the whole gimbal.  I did one for a friend and the hardest part (I found) was getting the flex cable correct around the lower camera motor/gimbal and then back up top at the Video Transmission module.  Not sure this is the exact I had found before but looks pretty good.  This camera is about as busted at they come!  

2016-8-2
Use props
Boblanglois52
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-2 19:12
Bob..

Don't know if you saw this one, but he's replacing the entire flex cable which requires pret ...

Thank you for the reply. I did find this video. I will be paying a lot of attention to it because the yaw and roll arms are aluminum instead of the 3D printed plastic used in so many.  I will try to find my "happy, relaxed place" when taking on this repair. I find slow and deliberate to be the way to approach this type of project.
2016-8-3
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Boblanglois52 Posted at 2016-8-3 20:25
Thank you for the reply. I did find this video. I will be paying a lot of attention to it because  ...

Really not that hard, but just be methodical about keeping the screws and parts separated, etc.  Again, the "trickiest" part is the wrap around flex cable part on the bottom..  Just have to get it right so there is no binding on the motor arm.  Good luck.. Interested in how you make out.
2016-8-3
Use props
Boblanglois52
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-8-3 10:58
Really not that hard, but just be methodical about keeping the screws and parts separated, etc.  A ...

Thanks. I'll report back in however things work out. Parts will be in on Monday. Hoping to test fly over the following weekend.
2016-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules