Awesome day flying Max, my P3P
728 3 2016-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

I just wanted to share with my fellow Phantom Pilots what a GREAT day I had flying my P3P yesterday! Not the best video day (that was last week when I videoed a gorge and waterfalls) , but best overall day for testing and getting real comfortable with Max.

It was a beautiful sunny day with a little wind at times. I took a drive out in the country looking for a safe spot to fly as I wanted to try out my new Litchi app as well as learn more about my bird "Max".

I came across a several sections of relatively flat uninhabited farm land below a large, long ridge. The fields were planted with mostly Wheat and Canola and it is a bumper crop so even if I had a hard landing, my bird had plenty of cushioning.  

I purposely chose this spot as it had a lot of interference within flying distance i.e.138kv power lines running below the ridge,  cell towers, remote internet towers, and an FM tower. Yes I wanted to see how these items would affect my P3P, call me stupid but I'd rather learn when in an open safe area where I might get my P3P back in case anything happened.

So I took my four fully charged batteries, binoculars and started with testing the Litchi app, getting a feel for how it works and what is different between it and the go app. Yes I read up on it before, but nothing is like testing the real thing Absolutely a great app that works as advertised! A great tool but you better know visually, exactly what’s in the path of your waypoints!!! Hence the binoculars

The highlights of what I learned on my outing where

- I can easily get Max out 2.5km and the video feed still works,  even with some known interference around.

- Repeater towers (Microwave Internet Towers for Rural customers) which are only about 50ft. tall seem to affect Max the most, especially when he's at the same height as the microwave antennae itself. Going lower or higher resulted in a stronger signal. I did loose R/C connection a couple of times for 5-20 seconds, when parallel to the antennae (even when several hundred meters away). But not the Lightbridge (video) feed which I found strange but interesting. Of course it’s a little nerve wracking loosing the R/C connection for so long, but Max worked exactly as advertised and started home each time using DJI Go or Litchi.

- FM tower didn't seem to affect anything although I never got closer than approx. 200m from any of the tower metal

- 138kv transmission lines had no effect when flying beside them, about 100-200m away.  But I'd NEVER try to fly too close to them as that area surrounding them is one BIG electro magnet.

-My P3P gimbal does not control the horizontal axis very well at all! Any wind and the picture is tilted.  

-The P3P is an awesome piece of engineering and a lot of fun to fly. It’s just too cool seeing everything from a totally new perspective. I’ve been a Photographer for a lot of years and can’t tell you how many times I wished I had the vantage point I can get now!

Drone on my fellow pilots !

MMM

2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for posting, put up some photos or video too
2016-8-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha MMM,

Good experimentation!  With that approach, you will quickly become more proficient in the use of your new tool.

I know what you mean about the repeater towers.  Geebax corrected my first interpretations of what happened to me, but that is also what happened to me - my video worked but controller failed.  The RTH function was right on as my P3P landed in the same square foot it launched from.  How often does that happen!  

Your gimbal problem might be a settings issue.  One of the first options of the gimbal section of the settings pages is whether you want to use FPV or Follow.  FPV will give you wind effects and higher speed turning effects.  Follow usually gives you rock-solid stability.

I can high-five that the P3P is an awesome piece of engineering!  Looking forward to some video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-6
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

I have a bunch of video, but It's all raw and mostly just boring  test video. I could edit it and make something decent but saving that for the winter months when I can't fly

I wish the camera tilt issue was just a setting but it's behaved like that since day one, tilting into the wind. Thanks for the thought though,  I've flown in FPV mode so I know what it looks like
Again plenty of time during the long off season here to get it looked at.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun day flying!
2016-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules