Video Vibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I only started flying a drone a few days ago having bought a Phantom 3 Advanced at the beginning of the week.  During the past few days I have taken several opportunities to practice basic flying and captured each flight on video so I could assess what I was doing, what works and what doesn't work, whilst taking it very steady.  With excellent weather here in the south of the UK today I took the opportunity to visit the Bluebell Railway - a popular steam preservation line, and located a couple of open fields from which I could fly and get good views of the line.  I have edited together some of the footage I took and have put it up on YouTube -

I am a little concerned that every clip I have taken shows an element of vibration which I don't think I have noticed on anyone elses footage i have looked at on YouTube and wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and knows how to deal with it?  Am I using incorrect settings or perhaps, is there something wrong with my aircraft?  The vibration I am referring to can be seen at several points during the video, for example at around 22 - 24 seconds in.  But then again, some footage is rock steady but i haven't changed any settings.  My overall video settings are:-  PAL,  MP4,  50fps.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

2016-8-6
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

It's possible you had a strong cross wind, they can be quite turbulent at altitude even though it is quite calm on the ground.

The normal things to check with this problem is that the gimbal floats smoothly with minimal resistance from the top plate. Check that the rubber mounts on the corners are in good condition and installed correctly in their holes.  There should be only two drop pins fitted in diagonal arms, any more can make it too stiff and aircraft vibrations are transferred to the camera.  Finally make sure the clear transportation block is removed from the camera as well as the small white foam block at the rear of the gimbal, this one is sometimes overlooked by new pilots.

182909iles9p9zfz4fxqbl.jpg
2016-8-6
Use props
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for that.  I had removed the clear plastic lock, as instructed by the guy in the store, however, I hadn't realised the white foam unit was padding and assumed it was part of the assembly.  I hadn't spotted the label as it is rather tucked away.  I have now removed that and will try again.

Just hope i haven't done any damage by operating it with that bit still in place.
2016-8-6
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

brian.dandridge Posted at 2016-8-6 17:19
Thanks for that.  I had removed the clear plastic lock, as instructed by the guy in the store, howev ...

hi brian

not sure where in the uk you are but im in the north east and it has been a very nice day (perfect for flying) on ground level i had next to no wind but upon flying reaching higher altitude i did notice slight cross winds. I wouldn't have thought by leaving the white foam square has caused any issues.

But having said that just to be on the safe side i would carry out a imu calibration followed by a gimbal calibration just to make sure all is ok. hope this helps

2016-8-6
Use props
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Further to last, I have just carried out a short test and can now say the footage captured is totally free of vibration.  Many thanks for the tip.  I am glad it was something so simple!!
2016-8-6
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

brian.dandridge Posted at 2016-8-6 17:47
Further to last, I have just carried out a short test and can now say the footage captured is totall ...

glad to hear all is well mate
2016-8-6
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like it's set in fpv mode too, this picks up more movement than follow mode.
2016-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules