12Next >
2675 40 2016-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1447234 ft
United States

Hey all - long story short, 2 month old P3P, never crashed.  Postflight inspection after every flight; on Sunday I noticed a small crack in the upper shell of one of the arms.

I e-mailed DJI right away but heard nothing Monday, so Monday evening I live-chatted; they said I would receive an RMA Tuesday (today).  Again, didn't hear anything today, so I live-chatted again at 6 PM and they did send me an e-mail with instructions.  But -

It said to ship the drone to Carson, CA; haven't I read that in circumstances like this, DJI often pays for shipping both ways?  Does seem pretty clearly to be a factory defect.

The first thing on the instruction list was

1. Please fill out and print the Customer Information Sheet attached to this email/ticket. This is required for every RMA.

But, there was nothing attached and I can't find it on their site anywhere.

Finally, I'm in a bit of a time crunch; I'm leaving on a trip next Thursday the 18th and am planning on getting a lot of photos and video.  I've heard of people with cracked shells getting their drone back in a week total, but I feel like we're falling behind the ball.  I could easily have filled out these forms and prepped my drone for shipping on Monday, but I'm just now getting the introductory form-letter e-mail with the info I need, and of course I wouldn't be able to ship it until tomorrow.  Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting my drone back before I leave for my trip?  Would they consider expediting so I can get it back?  I wouldn't think replacing an upper shell would be relatively hard.

I am a *huge* DJI fan - I think these machines are absolutely incredible, and the fact that ordinary people can afford and fly them makes it all the more incredible.  I absolutely love my P3P, but I'm starting to get worried that I'll be without my drone for my trip.  After two months of gentle flying I'd be really disappointed if this doesn't work out.  Your help is appreciated!
2016-8-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for the inconvenience, Gerry. Could you please provide me with your ticket number or RMA number please?
2016-8-9
Use props
oldpanhead58
lvl.1

I can't say that the crack will get worse or that it may break & you crash , but I can't see you getting it repaired by the time frame you have in mind . Me personally ,would glue it in some way,( not sure if that would void the warranty or not ) & send it in when you get back. You have contacted them & others here may tell you not to chance it , but thats your decision .
  I live on the east coast & it takes a week to ship it to California to repair .
  The Customer form is here      https://d32xrmdsd5z66d.cloudfron ... e+Questionnaire.pdf
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Now that is service indeed!!  Thank you, Paladin - messaging now!!
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Well I'm new and dumb and can't figure out how to PM!

My case number is 258005.

Paladin, thank you so much - I know there's only so much you can do, but I would be deeply grateful for any help at all!  Regardless, these are incredible machines - mine amazes me each and every time I start the motors.  This was unthinkable just a few years ago - can't begin to imagine what they'll be like in another five years.
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the form, Panhead - I saw that one but was looking for something called exactly a "Customer Information Sheet."  It will be kind of silly for me to fill out since there wasn't any kind of mishap - I just discovered the crack in postflight inspection!  But happy to do it anyway.
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Paladin, my first reply to you didn't come through - I was simply amazed to get a reply here from DJI so soon and at 9 PM!  Thank you.
2016-8-9
Use props
smokincigar
lvl.3
Canada

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-9 22:30
Thanks for the form, Panhead - I saw that one but was looking for something called exactly a "Custom ...

I just sent mine in for the exact same issue. Complete the RMA form and follow the shipping instructions DJI provides to you, and everything will be fine.

I agree, you likely won't get it back before your trip.
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for letting me know, cigar.

What I can't figure out is how a crack would form in the *upper* shell - I get lower, because the motors screw into the lower, but the upper?  I've seen some people actually put two zipties around each arm to brace it - that may hold mine indefinitely but I'd hate to be wrong...
2016-8-9
Use props
oldpanhead58
lvl.1

I have the other one , but can't seem to copy it here for some reason .
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

And now it showed back up....huh....I promise I'm not an idiot...
2016-8-9
Use props
oldpanhead58
lvl.1

I give up .  lol
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Just got my UPS label - thank you!!
2016-8-9
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-9 23:05
Just got my UPS label - thank you!!

According to UPS, it's due to arrive in Carson, CA on Tuesday, over a week after I first began the process. Not looking like it's going to get back before my trip :/
2016-8-11
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-11 11:32
According to UPS, it's due to arrive in Carson, CA on Tuesday, over a week after I first began the ...

I got my P3P back last Friday. It took just over two weeks from me shipping it out and getting it back. The repair only takes a day, but shipping is sloooow.   
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-11 23:32
According to UPS, it's due to arrive in Carson, CA on Tuesday, over a week after I first began the ...

I am sorry you will not have it back before your trip.
You can have it shipped to wherever you'll be on vacation.
After it comes in and starts to be worked on I can get an estimate of when it would be done and you can have it shipped to where you'll be at.
2016-8-11
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 428245 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-11 18:28
I am sorry you will not have it back before your trip.
You can have it shipped to wherever you'll  ...

DJI-Ken,

This morning I got an email from repair Netherlands that they are out of stock at the moment.
these must be ordered first, then they proceed to repair.
My Drone is already two weeks into the repair center.
Vriidag August 1st I received an email that the 2 to 3 working days would last.
Today is August 11, heard nothing. only one mail that no parts are more available.
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JpNL Posted at 2016-8-12 00:52
DJI-Ken,

This morning I got an email from repair Netherlands that they are out of stock at the mom ...

WOW, I am very sorry about that.
You sent your P3 in for shell repair?
2016-8-11
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-11 19:02
WOW, I am very sorry about that.
You sent your P3 in for shell repair?

Yes,
My P3 has cracks around the engines

Phantom 3 shell (top & bottom)

2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JpNL Posted at 2016-8-12 01:08
Yes,
My P3 has cracks around the engines

I'm sorry they don't have stock. Something must have happened to a parts order. Usually the turn around is fairly quick.
2016-8-11
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-11 19:13
I'm sorry they don't have stock. Something must have happened to a parts order. Usually the turn a ...

I report it here, because many people are currently waiting for repairs on cranks.
The lead is now longer than expected, and you will not be informed about this.
if I had not emailed I had heard nothing from EU support, ...
and that is not so neat.
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JpNL Posted at 2016-8-12 01:30
I report it here, because many people are currently waiting for repairs on cranks.
The lead is now ...

I work in the US center and do not have access to the repair system over there so you are correct, I don't know what's going on with the day to day operations over there.
2016-8-11
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-11 19:40
I work in the US center and do not have access to the repair system over there so you are correct, ...

Thanks DJI-Ken,

Therefore, I report it.
all customers from Europe will be forwarded to the Netherlands because of repair warranty. Fast Correspondence you can not do because it runs through China (HKT) and then to Germany.
because of the time difference, they always respond only after 24 hours. and that is very annoying. you get an answer, you react immediately and get again until 24 hours later reply.
there are no European moderator on this forum?
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JpNL Posted at 2016-8-12 02:09
Thanks DJI-Ken,

Therefore, I report it.

No there is not, there's US and China.
I do have access to the different repair centers emails but if they don't have stock then there's nothing that can be done.
The only thing I can do is get your email or RMA number and send an email to them.
2016-8-11
Use props
JpNL
Second Officer
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-11 21:43
No there is not, there's US and China.
I do have access to the different repair centers emails but ...

Ken Thank you for the offer,
I appreciate that.
I've emailed them myself already.
maybe tomorrow they answer ...
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JpNL Posted at 2016-8-12 04:22
Ken Thank you for the offer,
I appreciate that.
I've emailed them myself already.

No problem.
2016-8-11
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Ken, that is very kind of you - thank you very much!  I would be grateful for an estimate of when it may be able to be shipped back, and hopefully it could arrive during my vacation!  In that case it could arrive as late as Friday and I'd hopefully still be able to get some great photos and video on Friday and Saturday.  Thank you!!
2016-8-11
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2

Hey Ken - UPS is showing delivered as of 11 am. Would be very grateful to hear whenever you know something!
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-17 02:55
Hey Ken - UPS is showing delivered as of 11 am. Would be very grateful to hear whenever you know som ...

If it was delivered only a few hours ago it will take a day or a few days to go through logistics. There's nothing i can do until it hits the repair line.
I'm sorry about that.
2016-8-16
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2

All good - I am grateful for your help!
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-17 05:58
All good - I am grateful for your help!

You'll be back in the air in no time.
2016-8-16
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2

Thanks Jamie!
2016-8-16
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Received!  Repair tracking number 1608173VZ-PH4067.

Thanks again guys!
2016-8-17
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-17 23:01
Received!  Repair tracking number 1608173VZ-PH4067.

Thanks again guys!

Showing repaired and tested!
2016-8-17
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Hey guys - I'm about to walk out the door to start my trip.  I'm there until Sunday morning - is there any chance it could arrive in Tennessee either Friday or Saturday?

Thanks so much again.
2016-8-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-18 23:13
Hey guys - I'm about to walk out the door to start my trip.  I'm there until Sunday morning - is the ...

If you are talking you are there until next Sunday then it's a possibility.
You will have to call 818-235-0789 so you can arrange shipping to a different address.
You'll probably also have to include it in an email for verification that you want ti shipped somewhere else.
BUT remember, IF something were to happen with shipping delay or delay in transit then you would have to call and have the package rerouted to your next location.
2016-8-18
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2

No, just til this Sunday oh well - I appreciate you guys trying to help anyway.
2016-8-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-19 01:42
No, just til this Sunday  oh well - I appreciate you guys trying to help anyway.

Sorry, if you'll be there this weekend and it showed repaired and tested yesterday, there's no way it would get to Tennessee by the weekend.
What you can do is google a rental place, I know there are many out there and you can rent a Phantom or Inspire.
2016-8-18
Use props
gerry.senechal
lvl.2
United States

Hey all - received my drone back today.  When I picked it up out of the box, something rattled inside; I turned it over a few times and the object in question fell out.  Here it is:

It's very small - perhaps 1/4" tall.  It appears to be some sort of metal gear, but the inside is white plastic, and the edge of it looks a bit rough, as if it may have broken off of something.  So - is my drone safe to fly?  Can I check whether or not my drone already has whatever this is where it should be?
2016-8-24
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

gerry.senechal Posted at 2016-8-25 14:47
Hey all - received my drone back today.  When I picked it up out of the box, something rattled insid ...

This looks like it is a threaded insert that is used to press into a hole in a plastic part (or be injection moulded around it during manufacture) e.g. http://www.tristar-inserts.com/insert-ref.htm .  They are made out of metal to be more durable and not wear out in critical applications.  The serrated edge makes it bite into the plastic surrounding it and holds it securely.  It isn't a gear.  I can't think of any part of the airframe that uses these inserts.  If I were to guess, it looks like it is an insert out of a (clockwise) propellor.  I believe P2 props had a metal hub whereas P3 use a plastic hub.  They may have used older props for testing while in for repairs, or a piece of random junk found its way into your package.  You can test this theory by screwing it onto one of the motors (it is a metric M6 thread by the way (6mm, about 1/4")).  Otherwise look for a hole somewhere on your aircraft;  there will be a corresponding screw that would have fallen out with it and have been holding something substantial to the frame.  The battery is the only thing that comes to mind.  But I think this is a highly unlikely scenario, and more likely related to a prop.
2016-8-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules