P3A video transmission dropped in flight and never restarted?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
engimer0
New

United States

Hi all, I'm having a little trouble finding an answer to a weird issue that came up today. I've flown my P3A out of range a few times. My DJI app goes gray and says disconnected, and within a few seconds the live feed comes back with a RTH in progress and I take control again. I try to avoid going out of range of course but I've never had any trouble with it until my last flight. I went out of range and the RTH began, only this time a "No Signal" message persisted throughout the entire RTH with no video transmission. I thought maybe there was some kind of interference, but even when the RTH was complete and the drone was hovering right next to me I still never got video back, although I had no trouble manuevering it.

While the drone was RTH I wondered if rebooting the controller or app in-flight might restore the video feed, but I didn't want to test that out and risk losing my control for any amount of time. When it was back on the ground rebooting the controller and the drone did not work, it was only when I force closed the DJI app and restarted that I regained video transmission.

So I think my questions are

1) Is there any explanation for video transmission not coming back on?
2) Is there anything that can safely be done to "reboot" video transmission?
3) Is it theoretically safe to restart the DJI app in flight? The RC would still be controllable even while the app restarts?

I've learned a lot from quietly reading these forums and am really thankful for the helpful community members here, I appreciate any input!

2016-8-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

2) Is there anything that can safely be done to "reboot" video transmission?

Try pulling the cable to your tablet anad reconnect.
See if that jump starts things.

3) Is it theoretically safe to restart the DJI app in flight? The RC would still be controllable even while the app restarts?
"I wondered if rebooting the controller or app in-flight might restore the video feed, but I didn't want to test that out and risk losing my control for any amount of time".

The app doesn't control your Phantom, it helps you with a few features and displays video but control comes from the R/C unit in your hands .. or in RTH, from the Phantom's programming.
Go to the park and fly 40 feet away and 20 feet up and pull the cable to disconnect the app and you'll see that you still have full control.
You can still make the Phantom go where you want it to and initiate RTH via the controller button.
Reconnect and see if that would be a useful thing to try in a lost video situation.
Or close the app and restart .. the Phantom will be fully controllable the whole time whether the app is on or off.
2016-8-10
Use props
starfighters
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358215 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I've the same problem with my P3A,i'm using FW1.8.80 and last DJI-Go APP.
Often it happen to me that the signal is lost,i had to unplug the cable from rc to tablet and the app is re-starting with video feed,last flight i had lost signal but after a few second re gained the video...
I was flying in line of sight a few hundred meters from me.
When using litchi never happened till today.
2016-8-10
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello engimer0
1.In some situation, the interference will lead to this. It doesn't hurt to adjust the antenna orientation. If the signal get well after rebooting the drone, you don't need to worry about it.

2.You can disconnect the cable and reconnect it. Or just simply reboot the app.
3.App doesn't influence the drone if you don't input a command. Actually if the RC indicator is green, the connection between RC and drone is normal.
2016-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules