Motor life
1138 10 2016-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Henry2016
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92215 ft

United States

Hello all, I got a 2 part question. 1 about how long is the expected life of a motor on average. 2 How can you tell which motors you have W/O dismantling first. ( old version or new version).

2016-8-14
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

I'm not going to even guess on the life of a motor. I have yet to see one go bad on a unit unless it has been crashed previously. If you hear one start to whine, don't wait until it goes out though.   I do have 2 P3P's, however, and they have different motors. The first one I got came with the traditional wrench, and the motors had notches that the wrench could latch on to. The 2nd one I got, however, has a nutcracker like tool to grip the outside of the motor because it is flat on top. I can't say for sure the the new ones are the flat ones, but that would make much more sense to me. The 1st set I describe are just like the older P2V+.

Happy Flying!
Barney
2016-8-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The motors will last a long time.
If the top of your motors is flat with a star shape, it's the newer style.
The older has raised bits on the top.
2016-8-14
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

index.jpg

<=== OLD                    NEW===>

2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Several things will determine the life of a motor, if you don't fly near the ocean, dirt and do not abuse your aircraft then the motors should last a very long long time. You can tell if it starts going bad by feeling it when you hand turn it. If one ever starts to not feel smooth then you are ok.
And the above post is correct on hot to tell the motor difference and here's an article about it.

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... al-advanced-motors1
2016-8-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Read your response, Ken.  "If one ever starts to not feel smooth then you are ok."  If they feel smooth, they should be ok.  NOT feeling smooth will require further digging to find out why, and should be replaced.
2016-8-15
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Might sound stupid, but are there any methods of keeping them nice and clean post flights?
Air cannisters? Or something like that?
2016-8-16
Use props
Henry2016
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92215 ft

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-8-16 12:28
Read your response, Ken.  "If one ever starts to not feel smooth then you are ok."  If they feel smo ...

Thanks for all the input fellas. I am rotating them now, and although they feel smooth, they also feel like there is a pulse to them. I have flown under normal conditions, (upstate NY) and really dont remember if that pulse was there originally, since February.
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-8-16 12:28
Read your response, Ken.  "If one ever starts to not feel smooth then you are ok."  If they feel smo ...

I would say true as a general rule I use to determine. Now of course I wouldn't wait years to go by.
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Viridis Posted at 2016-8-16 18:58
Might sound stupid, but are there any methods of keeping them nice and clean post flights?
Air canni ...

The bearings are sealed so you don't have to worry about them but if you do take off or land in a dirty area then you can use compressed air (low pressure) to clear our any grit.
2016-8-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The pulses are the magnetic poles.  NORMAL.  There should be no noise or gritty feel to them as you turn them.
2016-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules