They are NOT gonna ban quad copter drones!
1585 15 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Warbishop
lvl.1

United States

So stop worrying. Yes they will regulate it because they have to but ban... Ummm no.  This is America and people have a first amendment right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and unilateral bans are unconstitutional . But because there is a safety concern, this is grounds for licensing and laws to restrict usage.  The current FAA policy on drones is a have to measure but not strictly inforced because of the legal questions it raises IMO.  The worst thing they can do is prosecute and lose and so...  They r making us wait until proper regulations can be made.  You can't blame DJI for the extreme firmware update to limit access to Washington , they r doing this to limit regulation in the long run and to demonstrate that it can help be responsible.  

So stop stressing but please please use good judgement folks. Let's not make it harder on ourselves.  
2015-1-28
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

it isnt just the FEDERAL govt people are concerned about (ie some kind of total ban).  currently i live in a fairly urban area (suburb of Charlotte NC).  the only place i can legally fly mine right now is 'public space'.  that would be things like city and county parks for example.  there are other places that are technically private property that i can 'get away with it' because hysteria hasnt caused many of those places to clamp down on an activity like this.  however, with bad press and morons doing stupid things, it wouldnt take much for my local govt to refuse abilty at the parks and for others around privately to stop me.  that would leave me the ability to fly it in my yard or from my yard or drive miles out of town and try and find non-private property there.  that kind of restriction could turn it into more of a headache for me to FIND somewhere i can legally do it than the amt of fun i get out of it.  this may not matter for you (like birdfolk) that live in the middle of nowhere and have crap tons of fields everywhere that give you pretty much unrestricted fly places, but where i live, SMALL restrictions and reactions could have SIMILAR effects on me that an actual ban would.

so im not worried about an OUTRIGHT BAN, im concerned that general tightness in perceived safety and such could impact my ability to do it simply because of the things we are seeing (and being described in other posts already)
2015-1-28
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

Warbishop I pray that your opening statements stay the course for all of us.  I live in San Diego and you can't smoke a cigarette in a public location, why don't you think its possible for nutcase city councils to outlaw responsible use of quadcopters?  

Sensible parameters are already in place....Fly under 400'(speaking US) keep your quad in LOS and use good common sense when flying.  Big Brother needs to control all of us...its always about the select minority who feel compelled to tell the mass majority how to live their lives.

This whole White House "DRONE" story was set up as a simple diversion that could control the National news for the past few days....turns out it was a Gov. employee...right??  The avg. Joe or Jane would have been jailed....so what's this guys punishment?  No word from the press here...DC is a no fly zone period! Of all the problems the world faces, the President has to throw in on a "toy purchased from Radio Shack"...
Enjoy the Hobby while we can....     

2015-1-28
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-29 01:06
it isnt just the FEDERAL govt people are concerned about (ie some kind of total ban).  currently i l ...

Well spoken.
2015-1-28
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

one more thing, what part of following the Constitution applies these days....starting from the top? It's become a real debate in my eyes?  I don't even think Civics is taught these days?
2015-1-28
Use props
gerry1124.hotma
Second Officer

United States

steadystickrick Posted at 2015-1-29 01:42
Warbishop I pray that your opening statements stay the course for all of us.  I live in San Diego an ...

The avg. Joe or Jane would have been jailed....so what's this guys punishment?

Why don't we wait for the charges and trial before we punish.
2015-1-28
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

gerry1124.hotma Posted at 2015-1-29 01:52
The avg. Joe or Jane would have been jailed....so what's this guys punishment?

Why don't we wait  ...

Gerry with great respect to your opinion the punishment is deserving of the deed.  

My point was flying this quad in DC (close proximity to the WH) is already a misdemeanor or possibly a Federal violation....I'm not a LEO so I'm not sure....There has been no press report of further action against the Gov. employee which enables more senseless flyers to copycat....a trial is a waste of taxpayers dollars....

The money is in the story of the "DRONE", not the fine for the senseless and reckless action at 3:AM

You certainly are permitted to call it the way you see it...but that's my take.

Have a great day!

2015-1-28
Use props
sean.moore.esq.
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Fortunately, we aren't all from America
2015-1-28
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

sean.moore.esq. Posted at 2015-1-29 02:10
Fortunately, we aren't all from America

You sir, are indeed in beautiful country!!
Good day to you!
2015-1-28
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The uk seems hell bent on following America, it's only a matter of time. We will soon be the 51st state.
2015-1-28
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

sean, i hear ya man.  if they crap on my brand new hobby, it will make me wish i lived elsewhere hahahaha... of course, i guess i could just vacation more rofl
2015-1-28
Use props
sean.moore.esq.
lvl.2

United Kingdom

steadystickrick Posted at 2015-1-29 02:15
You sir, are indeed in beautiful country!!
Good day to you!

Good evening to you
2015-1-28
Use props
gerry1124.hotma
Second Officer

United States

steadystickrick Posted at 2015-1-29 02:01
Gerry with great respect to your opinion the punishment is deserving of the deed.  

My point was  ...

Everybody in this country called the United States gets a trial before conviction.  The trial isn't held in the public media, it's in a court of Law.
2015-1-28
Use props
steadystickrick
lvl.2

United States

gerry1124.hotma Posted at 2015-1-29 04:02
Everybody in this country called the United States gets a trial before conviction.  The trial isn' ...

tell that to the police officer in Ferguson.
Be well, Gerry.  Hope the snow hastens!
2015-1-28
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

2015-1-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

How true, how TRUE.