What is the safe distance away limit for P3 Adv
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andyibe
lvl.1

United States

Hello-  I live in the city and still get very good signal and was wondering how far away  I could safely fly my Phantom 3 Adv?    I lose eye sight on the drone almost right away but have full control and sight on my tablet..   Can I fly it over a mile away with no issues?
2016-8-23
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

It's up to you to determine your level of risk you are willing to afford. I've flown 10,000 ft out with no issues or safety concerns because I fly in a rural area. Let me ask you this...are you 100% confident of RTH? Do you know everything about RTH? If the answer is no, don't fly far.

1. Have you ever turned off the controller while the bird was in the air?
2. Have you ever initiated RTH while the bird is 20 feet away from you?
3. Have you ever initiated RTH while the bird was 100 feet away and at an altitude of say.....20ft?
4. Same as #3 but altitude of 400 feet?
5. Ever initiated RTH then moving the left stick?
etc......
2016-8-23
Use props
andyibe
lvl.1

United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-23 09:54
It's up to you to determine your level of risk you are willing to afford. I've flown 10,000 ft out w ...

Thanks UCLABruins-        I have used the RTH feature several times and that works fine.  I have not tried to turn off the remote yet. Should I try?   I have the RTH setting set to go to 120 feet and that will clear anything around me and it should drop right straight down.  Not sure what you mean by asking if I had done the RTH and all those different distances and altitudes?    Why would that matter?

Thanks again
Andy
2016-8-23
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

If something happens you might have FAA and legal issues.

FAA...."You must maintain VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT AT ALL TIMES"

Basically, that means if you can't see it with your eyes, you are breaking the rules.
2016-8-23
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

andyibe@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-8-24 01:16
Thanks UCLABruins-        I have used the RTH feature several times and that works fine.  I have n ...

I live in wooded North Georgia, so fly FPV all the time.  I set my RTH to 300 feet to be doubly sure i will not hit something.  With it being so hilly here, and "altitude" is from the Home Point, that is safe for me.  Due to the trees, the farthest i have flown is 3000 feet, but another time i lost all contact at 700 feet due to thick forest i was "looking" through.  The RTH is a blessing!
2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You said you live in the city, if you are flying downtown I'm sure you won't get a mile. Look at the thousands of 2.4 WiFi routers and other interference below and between you and the aircraft, not to mention skyscrapers or tall buildings as well.

If you want to do a range test, go fly in an open area with nothing around, in the city there's so many things that can go wrong.
2016-8-23
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

The P3A can fly until 5 km away, in the city hardly you will get it, because it has a lot of interference, but in the country I already flew 5 km away
In the city ( in my local home ) I can fly 2 km +-
I always flight without having sight of the aircraft

For it always have the RTH set to at least 60 meters

I think as follows: If you will always have the aircraft in your view, why to buy a P3A or P3P, buy a drone for less than half the price, a drone like this is to fly away, to explore the area
but also I would not recommend to fly over the city, take your car on Sunday morning, found a good place to fly and enjoy
2016-8-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Hello, I live in Iowa and I have a P3A. I have a nice rural area to test in and I have tried several antenna mods also. I could easily get 1-1 1/2 miles with stock setup. With the mods, I am limited to battery power.
I have gone just over 3-miles one way over the Mississippi river, but barely made it back.  Like someone said, you have to determine your risk factor! I have had my phantom for almost a year now and have experimented quite a bit and feel like I am comfortable with what the drone is going to do and how to react when something does come up. I can easily go over the city I live by but because of the interference from whatever is in the city, I usually had to stay pretty high in altitude to keep a good signal, but it is not a problem to go a couple miles and return. You have to be comfortable with your equipment in my opinion. But to answer your question, the P3A performs very well, at least I have had great luck with mine. I have the latest updates and make sure I re-link my RC & copter after each update and get a good compass calibration. After that I don't re-calibrate unless I absolutely have to. Have fun!
2016-8-23
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

andyibe@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-8-23 10:16
Thanks UCLABruins-        I have used the RTH feature several times and that works fine.  I have n ...

The reason I mentioned RTH is that when you get into an emergency situation, you brain does crazy things that you normally won't do. Knowing how RTH works will improve the chance of saving your bird.
I had a situation in which I was at around 150 feet and noticed that a Fire Dept helicopter was heading in my direction. I froze. What I should have done was lower my bird to below 100ft or land until it passes. What I should not do is to initiate RTH because I had set my RTH height to be 300ft. ......stuff like that....
Basically, be prepare for different emergency situations....
Like scuba diving, plan your flight and fly for plan.
2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-24 23:08
The reason I mentioned RTH is that when you get into an emergency situation, you brain does crazy t ...

Exactly, if you get into a bad situation do not panic. Stay calm and think for a few seconds and there's probably a better solution then to hit the RTH.
2016-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules