P3P compass will not calibrate after firmware update
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Benjamin_Harris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135476 ft

Hello I have upgraded to v1.9.60 and now it is now asking for a compass calibration I have tried this 15 times and it fails with the excessive interference warning so I can no longer fly
I have done a few IMU calibrations and this hasn't helped.
Any Clues ??
2016-9-9
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

The exact same thing has happened to me (P3P).  Will not calibrate - have tested in an extremely rural area where a friend with a Phantom 3 base had zero problems calibrating multiple times just to help me test the issue.  Can't get a green safe to fly banner because of it, so I am effectively grounded.

Additionally my image transmission has become extremely poor and I get lots of glitching and image signal drops.
2016-9-9
Use props
Benjamin_Harris
lvl.1

Ok that's interesting Scott that is exactly what mine is doing very poor quality image. I hope a DJI tech can spread some light on it.
2016-9-9
Use props
chadrob30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220459 ft
United States

I just bought a brand new P3S today. Upgraded firmware and now compass will not calibrate. Fought with it all afternoon. Done with it and it's going back to Target tomorrow. I wish there was a comparable bird (price wise) that I could get instead.
2016-9-9
Use props
Benjamin_Harris
lvl.1

Australia

chadrob30 did you do a IMU calibration?
2016-9-9
Use props
Benjamin_Harris
lvl.1

Australia

scotthayne Posted at 2016-9-10 00:07
The exact same thing has happened to me (P3P).  Will not calibrate - have tested in an extremely rur ...

Scott,  I spent an age on the phone to a very helpfull tech guy, Ive sorted the glitchy video feed, its a miss match of firmware,  I uninstalled the app restarted device then reinstalled it again. got that sorted.

the compass seems to be way over corrected the when you are under advanced/sensors in the app the X figure should change when moving the drone from horizontal to Vertical.  if these figures arent changing slightly there could be something wrong with your compass.  he was sure that it wasnt a firmware issue, just that the firmware make the compass correction a lot more sensitive.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

scotthayne Posted at 2016-9-9 22:07
The exact same thing has happened to me (P3P).  Will not calibrate - have tested in an extremely rur ...

Hello scotthayne, please check firmware version on " About" page through APP. You could try to delete APP and install again.
Please raise aircraft above your head and make sure there is no interference around when you calibrate compass.
Besides, may I know what mobile device you are using? please cool it down, turn off all background programs before flight, and enable "Hardware decoding" if it's IOS device, then check channel on HD page, you could custome it and reduce quality or image transmission.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

chadrob30 Posted at 2016-9-10 09:05
I just bought a brand new P3S today. Upgraded firmware and now compass will not calibrate. Fought wi ...

Hello Chadrob, after you upgraded firmware successfully, please calibrate IMU firstly and then calibrate compass in an open place without interference around. Please raise aircraft above your head when calibrating.
It's better to change another place if you cannot calibrate it in one place.
2016-9-9
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

Benjamin_Harris Posted at 2016-9-9 21:46
Scott,  I spent an age on the phone to a very helpfull tech guy, Ive sorted the glitchy video feed ...

Thanks Ben - the only thing I don't believe I tried was to uninstall/reinstall the app.  I went through several rounds of roll back firmware as well as reupgrade in the order called out in other threads, but nothing was helping.  I will try reinstalling the app and hopefully that fixes the image transmission issues.

@DJI Natalia - I have tried both iPad and iPhone and have experienced the same.  I did go into the channels area and though I didn't know exactly what to be looking for, I noticed most channels were showing as unusable.  I tried selecting multiple single channels (vs auto) and it was the same issue.
The compass has been properly attempted to be calibrated in multiple areas, so I don't believe it is interference.  My mod values have been in the 450-700 range which is not good from what I understand.
2016-9-12
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

So an update - reinstalling the app took care of the video transmission issues.

The compass is still messed up and it feels like firmware issues and not hardware.  I have recallibrated IMU twice.  I performed all of the testing in two different parks with no liklihood of interference and the compass will simply not calibrate but here is what feels very interesting.

Drone sitting or being held flat, as it would be if flying - the mod value for compass is about 700

Tipping the drone 90 degrees in any direction so it is perpendicular to the ground - the mod value for the compass goes to 1500.

Inverting the drone so the feet are to the sky - the mod value drops again to 700-800 range.

This is not related to positional sensitivity of the compass antenna.  This has to be some hardware/software conflict related to the compass and gyro.  It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly I change the orientation or where I am or what direction it is facing.  
2016-9-18
Use props
Benjamin_Harris
lvl.1

Just to update, I replaced the compass part, only a $25AUD part and this fixed all my compass issues. so im happily flying now, apart from the glitch with the Samsung S7 edge and the dji go app that continually reboots the phone. i'm sure DJI are looking into it.
2016-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules