11123 36 2016-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Swarm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 645804 ft
United States

Hi,

I'm (very) happy to say that I'm getting lots of jobs with my Phantom 3 Pro since I bought it earlier this year.  :-)  But I'm also concerned about maintaining it properly and in a timely manner.  Just like us humans, every machine needs care and also a break from time to time.

What sort of maintenance schedule should I using?  For example, after X amount of flights do ABC, etc.

Thanks,

DC
2016-9-12
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do the preflight inspection part of my checklist (attached) after every flight, before I store the aircraft. Every 20 cycles on each battery, I discharge to 10%, then charge back to 55-60%.
Every 5 flights I change my props (just for even wear on each set)

Flight Checklist.pdf

504.02 KB, Down times: 653

Checklist

2016-9-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-13 07:23
I do the preflight inspection part of my checklist (attached) after every flight, before I store the ...

"Every 5 flights I change my props (just for even wear on each set)"

That's just ridiculous.
If you don't over-tighten the props or allow them to hit solid objects, your props are good for hundreds of flights.
2016-9-12
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

Then I beg the question, when does one know it's time to retire a set of props? Obviously if they're knicked up or overtly damaged, but what if they have many miles/hours on them??
2016-9-12
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-12 17:38
"Every 5 flights I change my props (just for even wear on each set)"

That's just ridiculous.
Its just what I do. Feel free to handle your business your way and I'll handle mine my way, at least until you start paying for my parts. I provided suggestions based on my experience.But I appreciate the criticism, of which you never seem to be short.
2016-9-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

metronome Posted at 2016-9-12 16:46
Then I beg the question, when does one know it's time to retire a set of props? Obviously if they're ...

Retire them when they get nicks in the blades, even small ones.  You should also wipe them down with a damp rag to remove bug guts, etc. that collect on them.  Keep the props clean and try to not remove and reinstall them unnecessarily, which can wear and stress the threads.  If a prop strikes anything, replace it.
2016-9-12
Use props
Swarm
lvl.3
United States

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-12 17:23
I do the preflight inspection part of my checklist (attached) after every flight, before I store the ...

Thank you for your response.  I do a similar pre-flight check but honestly, yours is way more comprehensive.  Can I have your permission to utilize your handy-dandy pre-flight list for my own purposes?

Regards,

DC
2016-9-12
Use props
Swarm
lvl.3
United States

Lots of great thought so far but I guess I should restate my question.  I'm looking more an official answer on how often motors should be maintained, etc.  It just seems to me that after daily use with no sort of internal maintenance, any machine will eventually have problems.  I don't want to endanger anyone because of it.

Thanks,

DC
2016-9-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-13 07:49
Its just what I do. Feel free to handle your business your way and I'll handle mine my way, at least ...

If it makes you feel good that's fine but for the benefit of others reading this and wondering if they should, changing props every five flights makes as much sense as replacing the tyres on your car every two weeks.
2016-9-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Swarm Posted at 2016-9-13 09:50
Lots of great thought so far but I guess I should restate my question.  I'm looking more an official ...

There's almost nothing to wear out in the Phantom.
Brushless motors are extremely low maintenance devices.
2016-9-12
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-12 19:55
If it makes you feel good that's fine but for the benefit of others reading this and wondering if  ...

Again, it's what I do. I do not direct action nor condemn it. To be referred to as "ridiculous" for an action I take with my aircraft encourages me to discount anything you say. You are obviously the local expert so why not offer an answer to the poster instead of jumping in with rude comments to people who have no interest in you witty remarks?
2016-9-12
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

My schedule is very simple to remember.
One beer after an evenings flying.
Two if no blood was drawn.

Now for the bird.
Run your fingers along the leading and trailing edge of the props.
Smooth ? Go fly.
If you take off and land smoothly there's nothing else to look at.
I think the motors will tell you when they want to be replaced.
IMO the electronics will not last as long as you might want.
If they have surface mount capacitors you will get about two years.
(I've been consumer electronic repair for 41 years)

As in most modern electronics, in two years you will want the newer bird anyway.
Sooner if you crash a lot.
2016-9-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Swarm Posted at 2016-9-13 09:50
Lots of great thought so far but I guess I should restate my question.  I'm looking more an official ...

'I'm looking more an official answer on how often motors should be maintained, etc.'

I think you have been answered several times. The motors only have one component that wears, and that is the ball race(s) inside the motors. And they are not accessible, so you cannot lubricate them. However they should last for a very long time, and if the bearings begin to fail, you will get a 'Motor Obstructed' waring.

Other rthan that, it is only the props you need be concerned about. Nothing else on the aircraft is going to wear.

During WW2, there were no schedules for repairing the engines on most aircraft either, the simple reason being, if it acted up, throw it out and put a new one in. But more importantly, neither the aircraft or the pilot was expected to last long enough for anything to wear out.

Unfortunately, the same principle applies today to drones.
2016-9-12
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-13 10:07
Again, it's what I do. I do not direct action nor condemn it. To be referred to as "ridiculous" fo ...

I'm pretty sure no one called you ridiculous.  Rather, it was indicated that the schedule could be perceived as being unnecessary, excessive or "over the top".   Of course you are free to change parts at whatever interval you please, but there comes a point where it is way too soon, unnecessary and wasteful.  "Ridiculous" is an appropriate word to describe the level of prematurity -- worthy of ridicule.  You are changing a part with no wear for another part with no wear.  The return/reward is nonsensical.  You can choose another word from this list if it makes you more comfortable.  Perhaps you won't take offense at other opinions as readily, I'm sure none was intended personally and I read none into the initial comment when I read it.

extravagant
adj. indulgent, wasteful

absurd
    bizarre
    costly
    crazy
    exaggerated
    excessive
    exorbitant
    expensive
    extortionate
    extreme
    fanciful
    fancy
    fantastic
    flamboyant
    flashy
    foolish
    garish
    gaudy
    grandiose
    immoderate
    implausible
    improvident
    imprudent
    inordinate
    lavish
    ludicrous
    nonsensical
    ornate
    ostentatious
    outrageous
    overpriced
    preposterous
    pretentious
    prodigal
    profligate
    reckless
    ridiculous
    showy
    silly
    spendthrift
    steep
    unbalanced
    unconscionable
    unreasonable
    unrestrained
2016-9-12
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-13 03:21
I'm pretty sure no one called you ridiculous.  Rather, it was indicated that the schedule could be ...

The statement was directed toward an action I take..."That's just ridiculous". Why is anything anyone does with their own property..."worthy of ridicule"? You may like vanilla instead of chocolate, is that ridiculous or worthy of ridicule? Or is that your opinion/preference which you have all rights to have. Making the absolute statement that my actions are "worthy of ridicule" provides some insight into how you think and while I absolutely know you will respond to this post, enjoy the fact that you've "won". I will not respond to you again.

Actions define individuals. Therefore when saying my action is "ridiculous" without asking for more information as to why I take that action implies that he/she was simply on this thread to be rude or prove how much he/she knows.
I was under the impression the poster was asking for how individuals handle their maintenance on their aircraft.
Why not just reply to the original poster instead my response to that poster?
Why have an opinion on a stranger's actions when those actions do not affect you in any way?
Is there something that needs to be proven? What does an individual get out of criticizing a stranger's actions?
The more important point here is that the individual in question chose to open the thread and respond to me in a negative manner, not to answer the original poster's questions or provide help to the individual posting.
Unfortunately, an all to common theme here are replies with negative connotations. In this case it was to a responder (me) who was just answering the original poster's request for information.
2016-9-13
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Swarm Posted at 2016-9-12 19:48
Thank you for your response.  I do a similar pre-flight check but honestly, yours is way more comp ...

Absolutely! If you find issues or it needs changes it please let me know. I am always looking for insight!
2016-9-13
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

I realize there have been many other threads regarding balancing props, but it seems that would be something to consider to keep the motors in good shape and maybe lower stress on the shell.

I have one of those dubro balancers but it seems I need several pieces of tape to balance them so I stopped doing it. I have 12 props and have yet to find a prop in balance out of the package. I just fly with the ones closest to balance - maybe 200 flights? Props are cheap so I may buy more to find balanced ones or maybe Dak162 could send me his so I can check those for balance.

Curious if anyone else thinks balancing props is worth it.
2016-9-13
Use props
todor
First Officer
Flight distance : 2192221 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-13 00:23

Please be aware, that the battery calibration process is completed once you discharge the battery and then charge it again to 100% (not 50 or 60 or whatever)
Just my 2c
2016-9-13
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

todor Posted at 2016-9-13 08:26
Please be aware, that the battery calibration process is completed once you discharge the battery  ...

Thank you. I will incorporate that into my checklist.
2016-9-13
Use props
Swarm
lvl.3
United States

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-13 07:24
Absolutely! If you find issues or it needs changes it please let me know. I am always looking for  ...

Thank you very much!! :-)
2016-9-13
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-12 14:23

Changing props every 5 flights? LOL You must be rich or naive.
I'm still on my original props approaching 6 hours total flight time. That's 280,000 FT total distance so far.
That's about 55 flights.
2016-9-13
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-12 16:55
If it makes you feel good that's fine but for the benefit of others reading this and wondering if  ...

Or changing your underwear every two hours. LOL
2016-9-13
Use props
gogomi
lvl.1

United States

I JUST CAME HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS AND THE GIRL FIGHT GOING ON
2016-9-13
Use props
terryandteresa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 189203 ft
United States

Endotherm, well said Sir!
2016-9-13
Use props
terryandteresa
lvl.1
United States

Hey, CAN I PLEASE HAVE ALL THOSE SLIGHTLY USED PROPS? I'm kinda poor now since buying my phantom!
2016-9-13
Use props
terryandteresa
lvl.1
United States

Also if Mr. Super maintenance wants to sell his car I WANT IT!!
2016-9-13
Use props
terryandteresa
lvl.1
United States

gogomi Posted at 2016-9-13 14:48
I JUST CAME HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS AND THE GIRL FIGHT GOING ON

For sure!Damn somebody is ultra sensitive today!
2016-9-13
Use props
terryandteresa
lvl.1
United States

Now, I am having a loss of WiFi pop up coming up over and over while flying. I'm not losing any video feed or loss of control so I'm not really losing connection but it still keeps popping up while I'm trying to video something. Anybody else have this issue at all?
2016-9-13
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

bletzinger Posted at 2016-9-13 21:36
I realize there have been many other threads regarding balancing props, but it seems that would be s ...

Having checked quite a few genuine DJI props with a DuBro balancer shows they are very good out of the pack.  At most they might need a very fine tweak here and there but often they need nothing at all.  Chinese knockoffs on the other hand invariably need some work to LOTS of work.  If you need lots of tape to correct a DJI prop there is something wrong.   If you are sure you are using genuine props, I'd cast doubt on your spindle.  There is a proper spindle sold separately for the Phantom 3 with left and right hand threads which is critical for testing props, trying to "fudge it" with the supplied standard rod will give you lots of false errors.
2016-9-14
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I know you have had many comments, some a little harsh, but honestly, I understand your question. It is reasonable to think about what maintenance you should do to protect your investment and also maintain a reliable aircraft that is also safe to fly. As most have said, it is also my opinion there is not much to service on the machine. The motors are extremely well built and there is nothing you can do, other than replace them at some point when your app tells you something is wrong or you find they don't feel right when you spin them. I rotate mine to see if I can feel any rough spots, etc. These are also very inexpensive as far as I am concerned....looks like around $20 each from what I can see. I keep my props on all of the time. I feel screwing them on and off can only wear the threads out quicker. That's just me......I also have a hard case that allows me to do that. But I think they should last forever provided you don't hit something. I don't think the plastic will just wear out. I have 150 flights on mine and although I do have spares, I don't plan on changing them unless something happens. The answer to you question is there is really nothing to maintain other than inspecting before every flight, keeping it clean, and storing it in a suitable environment. These drones are very durable, and thanks to DJI for making it that way. Who wants to constantly be working on or replacing parts.....I want to just have fun flying!
2016-9-14
Use props
Swarm
lvl.3
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2016-9-14 08:51
I know you have had many comments, some a little harsh, but honestly, I understand your question. It ...

Thank you.  Yes, many answers (both helpful and not) and I agree with your thoughts as you make many good points and logical sense of the matter.

DC
2016-9-14
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-14 07:27
Having checked quite a few genuine DJI props with a DuBro balancer shows they are very good out of ...

thanks. I was using the proper spindle bought separately and I believe genuine props. I'll research and watch the videos again to see what I may be doing wrong.
2016-9-15
Use props
Polish_Films
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56099 ft
United States

THANK you @dark162 for posting your maintenance checksheet.  I don't think there is another one anywhere on the entire web.
2017-10-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have a system that is relaxed and easy.

I check props for nicks / scores or any signs of stress. Replace if necessary.

Damp cloth wipe down to keep props and AC reasonable.

Check under the arm ends for any signs of cracks .. with plates fitted - I may after a month or two remove plates to have a real check. Loctite screws going back in.

When I do the remove plate bit - I turn AC upside down , gently twist / lean motor so I can get a toothpick with small drop of light oil on to dab on the bearing ... it can be done with care ... spin motor by hand to let it go in ... YES it does and my motors run smoother and quieter for it. My P3S after a number of flights started to exhibit that dry bearing screech .. not loud but there. Tiny drop for each motor as described - never heard it again. Those P3S motors are now fitted to an SK450 frame and running as sweet as ever ... My P3P gets same treatment.

General check of all screws and plastic legs etc. to make sure no cracks.

I have a cloth special for cleaning eyeglasses - that gets used to wipe camera lense and filters.

But day to day ? Quick visual and wipe down if needed. The P3 is basically as others say - a relatively low maintenance machine.

Nigel
2017-10-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

bletzinger Posted at 2016-9-13 03:36
I realize there have been many other threads regarding balancing props, but it seems that would be something to consider to keep the motors in good shape and maybe lower stress on the shell.

I have one of those dubro balancers but it seems I need several pieces of tape to balance them so I stopped doing it. I have 12 props and have yet to find a prop in balance out of the package. I just fly with the ones closest to balance - maybe 200 flights? Props are cheap so I may buy more to find balanced ones or maybe Dak162 could send me his so I can check those for balance.

Balancing is absolutely worth it.

1. That little bit of power out of balance props absorb is now used properly
2. Vibration low and high frequency is reduced meaning electronic components less stressed
3. Motor shaft and bearings have easier life
4. Slight noise reduction.

If you are using Dubro / ODay and needing to add so much tape - something is wrong.

I have the ODay unit as well as two other systems ... they all show DJI props as near balanced. A quick dressing of the rear heavy blade and fine.

I use the shaft that came with the unit ... it has a silicon tube that slips over the supplied shaft and centres in the prop hub. Place in ODay unit ... done.

I check my props once a month or so - depends on how much use.

Nigel
2017-10-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

endotherm Posted at 2016-9-14 03:27
Having checked quite a few genuine DJI props with a DuBro balancer shows they are very good out of the pack.  At most they might need a very fine tweak here and there but often they need nothing at all.  Chinese knockoffs on the other hand invariably need some work to LOTS of work.  If you need lots of tape to correct a DJI prop there is something wrong.   If you are sure you are using genuine props, I'd cast doubt on your spindle.  There is a proper spindle sold separately for the Phantom 3 with left and right hand threads which is critical for testing props, trying to "fudge it" with the supplied standard rod will give you lots of false errors.

Used with care - the supplied rod works fine.

I have 3 separate different systems and they all agree with the supplied rod.

Nigel
2017-10-30
Use props
Papaw1
New
United States

How do I get permission to reply,download,etc
2019-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules