Consequences of not updating Firmware?
897 8 2016-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SjCutting
lvl.3
United States

I just upgraded from a Phantom 3 Standard to a Phantom 4.  Before updating anything, I took my first flight with my new Phantom 4 to see how it acted before doing any updates. Everything perfomed flawlessly. Can I get into major problems by not updating right away? So many people are having problems during updates, that I'm nervous about getting side lined first thing. I'm using an iMac computer, and an ipad mini 2 wifi for my viewer. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI recommends being on the latest firmware update, but you are free to not update if you do not wish to. For the P4, you can also downgrade from the Assistant2 on your Mac.
2016-9-14
Use props
SjCutting
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 17:10
DJI recommends being on the latest firmware update, but you are free to not update if you do not wis ...

Thank you Ken.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem at all. And congratulations on your new P4, it's quite a different animal than the P3 Standard.
It has tons of features and functions and also limitations, and it's important that you understand everything about the P4 for the best user experience.
Since you came from the P3S you probably already know, but if not take a look in the Academy section of the app and read the full manual and check out the tutorial videos, it will really help you.
2016-9-14
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

SJC... if your bird is related to your income, I would always suggest waiting for a few days until you read reviews from early adopters.  DJI is really good about fixing problems that might come with a new firmware update, but still, those newly introduced problems have been pretty substantial for those of us who are making cash from this investment.  One in particular was blurry video and photos that were introduced with an update (I don't recall now whether it was a software or firmware update).

Anyway, Kudo's to DJI for their work, but these are computers and sometimes things go wrong with updates.
2016-9-14
Use props
SjCutting
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-14 17:16
No problem at all. And congratulations on your new P4, it's quite a different animal than the P3 S ...

Thanks again Ken! I have watched lots of videos before, and since the P4 arrived. I am so impressed with everything this version is capable of doing compared to the P3 standard. I will print out the full manual, just as I did with the P3, reading it cover to cover! I studied for a month before flying my first quad!
2016-9-14
Use props
SjCutting
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-9-14 17:19
SJC... if your bird is related to your income, I would always suggest waiting for a few days until y ...

Thanks for the advice Mabou2! For me this is a hobby! This and my Canon occupy lots of my free time!
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

SjCutting Posted at 2016-9-15 06:42
Thanks again Ken! I have watched lots of videos before, and since the P4 arrived. I am so impresse ...

That's awesome, I too print out each manual then I take it to Kinkos and it cost less than $5 to have it cut and put into a binder.
I'm sure you will just just fine with your new P4. And thanks a million for taking so much time to learn all about it.
2016-9-14
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

SjCutting Posted at 2016-9-14 18:46
Thanks for the advice Mabou2! For me this is a hobby! This and my Canon occupy lots of my free tim ...

Canon man eh!  Power to the people!  (I'm a devoted Canon man of 35 years)
2016-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules