Firmware Update
2491 15 2016-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

Sorry for this really newbie question.  Trying to update firmware.  Found FW Update Guide v1.4.  Says to update
on GO, but can't find prompt anywhere on GO.  Can someone direct me to the proper menu and procedure.
BTW, current remote control is at 1.6.0, so think I can use GO rather than SD card.  Correct?

Thanks, John
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello John,could you please clarify which Phantom model you have ?
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello Rcflyrj, please clarify your aircraft model, the upgrading methods are different for them, then I will provide you the tutorial about how to upgrade it step by step.
2016-9-18
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

Sorry, brand new P3A.
2016-9-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-18 08:58
Sorry, brand new P3A.

The aircraft staus page will tell you what needs updating, thisis the same page that has the Compass Calibration tab on it, just tap on the top header of the Main DJI screen where it says "Safe to Fly " or "Disconnected "  ( Next to DJI logo on the top Left of screen  (That logo takes you back to the start page )  Etc, just tap here for the Status page and it will tell you what needs updating.  

***If the RC needs updating always check on the DJI site with with Phantom  Page and see if there is also an update for the Aircraft, if so ALWAYS UPDATE AIRCRAFT FIRST IF THERE IS AN UPDATE FOR BOTH .  

good luck

donnie
2016-9-18
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-18 10:57
The aircraft staus page will tell you what needs updating, thisis the same page that has the Compa ...

OK, thanks, Donnie.  That page says that both the aircraft and battery require upgrade.  Can't figure out how to get it started.  As I said, I've looked at the firmware upgrade guide, but it doesn't say how to initiate.  I have trouble with videos as I'm very hard of hearing.  Would love to find a step 1, step 2, etc. in writing if possible.

John
2016-9-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-18 12:26
OK, thanks, Donnie.  That page says that both the aircraft and battery require upgrade.  Can't fig ...

OK go to this page right here.  on the top left hand side you  will see the 1.9 file for the phantom 3 advanced.  Download this file to you PC  ( Not a Mac if possible, if must use a mac just be sure to have a clean formatted sd card  )  be sure to format the SD card first. ( download the June 13- 2016 file , top left side.)  also read the" release notes" on the top right
http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads

Now after you download the latest version ( 1.9 ) to your PC load the BIN file only  to the SD card.( once you double click it should auto extract and the bin file should pop out, I use windows RAR to "OPEN WITH "  the Bin file , like in example below  )   Once you load the bin file  to the formatted SD card load it to the aircraft on the camera , then turn on the Aircraft, it may take about 20 min.  there are some tones involved so listen carefully , or look at the lights in the front of it. they should flash Red and Green when  updating , then go solid when done.  Then when completed check the SD card for Success on the log , do this by placing back in computer.  If you have "Success " then load any other battereies that you have and repeat the procedure , these only take a couple minutes each.  The first battery that you loaded will already be updated. ( You can use the Success SD card , just put it right back in with the new battery and start again )

hope this helps- donnie
phantom 3.PNG
2016-9-18
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-18 13:52
OK go to this page right here.  on the top left hand side you  will see the 1.9 file for the phanto ...

Thanks for your patience, Donnie.  I've formatted the SD card via GO app.  Using Mac as it's my only computer.
Dragged the BIN file to the SD card.  Card shows the firmware on it.  Plug it in to gymbel slot, turn on aircraft.   Get solid green light which indicates upgrade not happening.  Maybe I need to talk with dji tech support?

Thanks again, John
2016-9-18
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-18 14:26
Thanks for your patience, Donnie.  I've formatted the SD card via GO app.  Using Mac as it's my on ...

By the way, I see in the firmware update guide, that beyond a certain release number, one is supposed to update via the GO app.  Any idea how to do that?

Thanks, John
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-19 02:28
By the way, I see in the firmware update guide, that beyond a certain release number, one is suppo ...

Having someone to talk to would be helpful. If you have not seen it already, you can also refer to the video below to ensure you are preforming the appropriate steps as well:

In regards to upgrading via the app, that is only for the RC. We have a tutorial video on upgrading the RC firmware:

2016-9-18
Use props
Wulf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45059 ft
Canada

When you try to update leave the aircraft turned on for a while then shut down and check the sd card you should have a second file on there now stating if the upgrade was Success or not success full.
2016-9-18
Use props
toradze3
lvl.2

Georgia

I think (not sure) it won't start to update right to 1.9 from 1.4.
I think you should update first to some other version between those two. I think  1.6 or 1.8
2016-9-18
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

toradze3 Posted at 2016-9-19 06:05
I think (not sure) it won't start to update right to 1.9 from 1.4.
I think you should update first t ...

This is not correct as far as I know. You can update from any early version to the latest version.

All previous engineers who designed upgrade systems that required that you go to one more more intermediate versions first have been rounded up and jailed for life back in the 90s. Please, do not even suggest that any modern technology firm returns to this boneheaded scheme — it is evil.
2016-9-18
Use props
toradze3
lvl.2

Georgia

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-9-19 02:10
This is not correct as far as I know. You can update from any early version to the latest version. ...

Ok. Just thats how i remember doing it. It didnt update to 1.9 right away. Since this is also p3a brand new from the box...
2016-9-18
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-18 13:28
By the way, I see in the firmware update guide, that beyond a certain release number, one is suppo ...

Are you sure it did not load ? What does it say on the SD card ?  abort   retry   success ?

If other than success, then place sd card back in AC and Format SD card then reload the Bin File and try again.

You can upgrade the aircraft if at least at version 1.3 and jump to 1.9 I am sure of this, not me first rodeo

donnie
2016-9-19
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Wulf Posted at 2016-9-18 16:39
When you try to update leave the aircraft turned on for a while then shut down and check the sd card ...

Bravo you are correct my good man or me lady

donnie
2016-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules