Flying indoors help wanted
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

If you were asked to fly around this building, would you do it, any tips? It will be empty of people, but will have some more steam engines in it.
The buidling is steel framed, high voltage cables run throughout. Obviously ATTI mode, but will the steel frame mess with the compass, does ATTI turn off GPS and compass?

Apart from wind or drafts is there anything else that could cause the phantom to suddently move by it's self?

Personally I think there are easier ways to get the shots but he really wants the drone, start high outside, fly through the doors, around the exhibits and then out the back doors.

Has anyone tried a seamless edit from phantom to osmo footage?

2016-9-25
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't inside this building! Synchronize and outside flying shot with a slow descending approach with a hand catch with a buddy just outside the door. As soon as the aircraft is caught shut down the motors and hand carry over head throughout the building and as soon as the aircraft is back outside start the motors and take off. This will take practice for sure.  
2016-9-25
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

Do not fly inside any building.
If you want cutesy panning shots get an Osmo.
GPS will likely toggle in and out.
Remember the the pilot is responsible !
2016-9-25
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-25 11:34
Do not fly inside any building.
If you want cutesy panning shots get an Osmo.
GPS will likely toggle ...

MJL has the great idea, We actually just did this, into a building, then held phantom over my head & walked to other end/exit, flew out to trees & hand caught at edge of tree stand, walked through stand of trees, holding [phantom high as possible, to next display building, Honestly, from 1st building through stand of trees thru 2nd building, You think bird is still flying under its own power. Great effect & I know it worked. First people who sampled video gave us heck for flying through an occupied building!
2016-9-25
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Don't fly if there are people around!!  (That goes for indoors or outdoors).

The Phantom is supposed to be able to fly indoors, but the one time I tried I didn't have much luck.

Just a couple of days ago, I tried flying into my garage from the outside.  I got down to about a foot off my concrete floor and the drone started swinging left and right.. It got worse with each swing.  Since I was so close to the floor, I just pushed the throttle right down and stopped the motors.  It was a bumpy landing, but fortunately the gear was OK and it didn't tip over.
2016-9-25
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

I had not considered just hand holding the drone.
With motors off it would be safe.
2016-9-25
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-9-25 15:46
I wouldn't inside this building! Synchronize and outside flying shot with a slow descending approach ...

Probably the best idea, but needs someone who can do a very nice ninja walk.

I'll try flying inside just for the experience, but don't think I'll be doing the full fly through. I think maybe the guy has been watching FPV racers on youtube and thinks I'm going to be in and out of the cross beams at 50mph
2016-9-25
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I think all the videos I've seen with people carrying the phantom you can tell, that foot step bounce. If it was left running in a hover (atti mode) and then gently moved around by hand, would that work? Turn off all positioning hold so it glides about? It would need to be quite passive and not fight against being moved.
2016-9-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You MIGHT succeed at flying indoors, but the doorways will get you.  I would handhold the entire trip around the inside of the building so I had complete control.  One other thing - you mentioned trains.  If there is going to be valuable property (hobby toys, trains, etc.), you wouldn't want to be responsible for destroying some of it if you were to lose control.  Why take the chance.
2016-9-25
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-9-26 01:38
You MIGHT succeed at flying indoors, but the doorways will get you.  I would handhold the entire tri ...

I think all the small stuff would be gone, just huge steam engines that I probably can't damage. I am insured. But I don't want to risk my Phantom for a freebie job.

Fly up and down my hall way this morning and it's horrible, you're right about doorways, weird circulation of air pulls the Phantom all over the place.

Osmo on a stick I think
2016-9-26
Use props
VooDoo The Witc
New

United States

jwt873@gmail.co Posted at 2016-9-25 12:40
Don't fly if there are people around!!  (That goes for indoors or outdoors).

The Phantom is suppose ...

That swinging is cause by prop wash. Air coming from props from lift being pushed down hits floor and makes a round type pattern and turbulance being absorbes again by prop to reuse and causes less lift with more side wind. Just figured i would explaine it. Super hard to fly with large amounts of prop wash.
2016-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules