Max expected distances in urban areas
2154 11 2016-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bond
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

I primarily fly in urban areas where I assume the majority of houses have some form of wifi routers. I have been getting lost connection at an average of 1200 feet, altitude normally 200. Is this the performance I should expect in these flight conditions? I see some are going a mile and more with no issue but as far as I can tell, sparsely populated areas.

Should I only expect max distance when no wifi interference is possible? So fly in the boondocks?

Thanks

Bond
2016-9-29
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

Obviously, I can only speak for myself, but I live in the suburbs. When I fly around my neighborhood, I can go about 1,000 feet before I start losing video. At that point, I bring it back.
Last week, I took it out to the Everglades and got about 2 miles out before I was forced to bring it back because my battery was running low. However, up until that point, it did not even hiccup.
Next time, I'll start my "long distance" flight while the battery is still fresh.
Sunset2.jpg
2016-9-29
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I suspect the only way you might improve the performance under those conditions is to install directional antennas on your RC and maintain line-of-sight as much as possible.  
You can do a search here on the forum for "antennas" or "range extenders" and get more information that you might possibly want.

Some of the usual suspects are  dbsmods or ItElite MaxxRange.

And you CAN get carried away with the whole antenna thing if your not careful...

BigAssAntenna.jpg
2016-9-29
Use props
sl44er
lvl.2
United States

2016-9-29
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
United States

sl44er Posted at 2016-9-30 00:12
"The Baltimore Run v2.1" - Phantom 4

Impressive, what was the total distance and did you use a parabolic range booster?
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Very impressive video.But you should fly carefully! Thanks for your understanding !
2016-9-29
Use props
sl44er
lvl.2
United States

Bond Posted at 2016-9-30 00:28
Impressive, what was the total distance and did you use a parabolic range booster?

This is not my video.  I posted YouTube video to show capabilities of Phantom 4 in noisy city environments.     Guy is flying Phantom 4 sitting inside truck using parabolic antenna range boosters.    Check out his channel he has a number of amazing DJI phantom 3 and 4 videos.
2016-9-29
Use props
sl44er
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-9-30 02:19
Very impressive video.But you should fly carefully! Thanks for your understanding !

This is not my video.  I posted YouTube video to show capabilities of Phantom 4 in noisy city environments.     Guy is flying Phantom 4 sitting inside truck using parabolic antenna range boosters.    Check out his channel he has a number of amazing DJI phantom 3 and 4 videos.
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

sl44er Posted at 2016-9-30 15:50
This is not my video.  I posted YouTube video to show capabilities of Phantom 4 in noisy city envi ...

OK, I think every flyer is supposed to fly the drone carefully ! Safety is the first thing we should to focus on.
2016-9-29
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
United States

Paladin, so the interference I'm experiencing is normal under my flight conditions?
2016-9-30
Use props
JustinH
lvl.2
United States

sl44er Posted at 2016-9-30 01:50
This is not my video.  I posted YouTube video to show capabilities of Phantom 4 in noisy city envi ...

The guy uses litchi to do these kinds of runs
2016-9-30
Use props
rliamharpurb
lvl.2

Yeh he must

At around 5:50 when he orbits that building he would deffinatley be losing signal in an area like that over the distance from the start of the video
2016-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules