Bigger Battery
1302 5 2016-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Would like to ask DJI are there any plans for a bigger battery than the TB48 for longer flight times as personally speaking due to future work I have planned with the drone I am going to need longer than the 17.5 min flying time that I currently get with the TB48 batteries.
2016-10-7
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
United Kingdom

You get 17.5 minutes? I'm lucky to get 16 minutes on a good day. I think my best with a TB48 was 18 minutes when trying to do a full discharge...

I don't think we'll see a better battery until the Inspire 2 which will likely have two batteries, that's the only way to get a battery bigger and still be able to transport it by air (TB48 is already over the first limit so you can only take two) and that way you also get the redundancy of having one fail and the other keep going to bring it down safely.
2016-10-7
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

You must be flying down dangerously low to get those kind of flight times.
You would be very near the cut off plateau in that territory and risk loosing your Inspire.
If you are regularly landing at 10% or less you are asking for trouble with lipo chemistry as the discharge curve is very flat until it suddenly falls off a cliff!
Best practice is to fly to around 3.5v per cell under load which means your cells will rebound back to circa 3.7v per cell once landed.
This equates to approx flying down to circa 20-22% before landing.
30 years of flying R/C has taught me never to fly the packs that low.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Hterag Posted at 2016-10-8 00:05
You get 17.5 minutes? I'm lucky to get 16 minutes on a good day. I think my best with a TB48 was 18  ...

At this time, there have not been any announcements on providing a larger capacity battery for the Inspire 1.
2016-10-7
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-7 21:22
At this time, there have not been any announcements on providing a larger capacity battery for the ...

Oh, I know nothing has been confirmed but it's something I'd expect at this point. Either that or there just won't be an Inspire 2 at all, there's no way to get a platform that can carry the X5 camera (or equivalent) to fly for 27 minutes with a TB48/equivalent 130Wh battery.

Given the fact the current one gets 12-14 minutes with a TB48 and an X5, it'd have to be a pair of batteries or they'd have to go over the allowed size for carry-on. This is obviously speculation on my part, but given what some other manufacturers have done recently...
2016-10-7
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Hterag Posted at 2016-10-8 00:47
Oh, I know nothing has been confirmed but it's something I'd expect at this point. Either that or  ...

Dual/multiple batteries? That's all it takes. Like the M600.

You also then introduce power supply redundancy.

As soon as you introduce higher capacity batteries you are also creating transportation/travel problems as well as safety concerns with higher lithium content.
Duel battery configuration is the safer and more reliable option
2016-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules