Day-Rate Question
520 4 2016-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gpb.drones
New
Flight distance : 16729 ft
United States

Earning the part 107 certificate has opened the floodgates and I'm dealing with questions that simply didn't come up before. A well-known photographer in my area wants me to shoot a construction project for one of his clients. I got the call specifically because I have the certificate. My question has to do with day rates. Could anyone provide a range of rates (we're not talking price-fixing; just a sampling of rates) that would seem reasonable to a professional photographer? I certainly don't want to low-ball, but neither do I want to price myself right out of the project. BTW, this project is in Birmingham, Alabama.
Many thanks!
gpb
2016-10-11
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Congrats on your 107!

Seems like you could just let your fingers do the walking.  Check the yellow pages and call a few photographers in the area and ask what they charge per hour, as well as travel and any other miscellaneous expenses.
2016-10-11
Use props
gpb.drones
New
Flight distance : 16729 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2016-10-11 20:28
Congrats on your 107!

Seems like you could just let your fingers do the walking.  Check the yellow  ...

Thank you for the congratulations. The test was challenging but it was definitely worth the candle. As it turns out, professional photographers in Birmingham get roughly $750 for a day of shooting, plus travel expenses, if any. I had absolutely no idea. And again, I got the call because, apparently, there aren't many 107 certificate holders in central-to-north Alabama.
2016-10-11
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

gpb.drones@gmai Posted at 2016-10-11 21:37
Thank you for the congratulations. The test was challenging but it was definitely worth the candle ...

Its a fine line to walk. If you charge to much, you may instill the, "I'll just get a drone and get certified my self" mindset. If you charge to little, you low ball your profits.

I am certified 107 also. 40 per hour onsite and 25 per hour for post processing (if the client wants it).
I have done the following:
Real Estate (usually about 2-3 hours of work, including travel time, setup and shooting)
Weddings (I shoot what the wedding photographer directs. The wedding photographer does all post) (all freaking day)
Sequences for local businesses to play in their store or on their website. (1-2 hours)

Good Luck!

2016-10-12
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I'm not in the business part of it, but isn't there something to be said about being the lowest bidder and landing the job as opposed to not getting it. And since you're the new kid on the block, you're getting your name out there for referrals.
2016-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules