3723 15 2016-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cistec
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16880 ft
Australia

Hi Guys

I have a Phantom 4 with current firmware and I purchased a IPAD mini 4 without GPS installed, and had to go buy a Garmin GLO GPS unit.. I have searched the net but can only find small tuts which do not go into detail how to correctly set up. I have no Idea what steps I need to do to make it work? Bluetooth is working and I think the GPS has a connetion with my Ipad because it says device connected in my setting on the IPAD "Garmin GLO #c5a57 CONNECTED" but when I turn on RC controller and go into DJI GO app and look for the GPS connection it is not there. I must be doing something wrong..Is there a fully detailed step by step explaining any software needed or steps tp take to successfully install the Garmin GLO

Thanks to any body that replies

cistec

2016-10-14
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use your Cell Phone as a Hotspot  for the Mini 4.
2016-10-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"but when I turn on RC controller and go into DJI GO app and look for the GPS connection it is not there."

That is referring to the GPS/GLONASS receiver on the aircraft not the display device. If the aircraft is indoors then there will be no GPS reception.

You do not need GPS on the display device unless you are moving quite a distance with the RC and you want to set that as home position (perhaps on a boat ) or you want to use 'follow me' mode.
2016-10-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2016-10-14 10:24
Use your Cell Phone as a Hotspot  for the Mini 4.

Hot spot would be for data only (downloading maps), however 'airdrop' can be used to link ipad to iPhone, I tried this once and shared a map showing GPS position from my phone to ipad. But there was a delay and this information could not be seen by DJI Go on ipad.

Perhaps someone knows of a way this can be done ?
2016-10-14
Use props
cistec
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-14 20:28
"but when I turn on RC controller and go into DJI GO app and look for the GPS connection it is not t ...

Hi

Thanks for the reply...I understand that you can use your iphone for hot spot. I should have been more specfic as to why I wanted the GPS model in the first place and it is for  follow me and homepoint (moving object like a boat or motor home ect. So can you help?

cistec
2016-10-14
Use props
cistec
lvl.2
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-14 20:45
Hot spot would be for data only (downloading maps), however 'airdrop' can be used to link ipad to  ...

Thanks please read my reply to other member..but thanks for replying.
2016-10-14
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-10-14 05:45
Hot spot would be for data only (downloading maps), however 'airdrop' can be used to link ipad to  ...

Sorry, that is what I was thinking of , just the wrong terminology.
2016-10-14
Use props
cistec
lvl.2
Australia

rodger Posted at 2016-10-14 21:54
Sorry, that is what I was thinking of , just the wrong terminology.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I will tell you what I have done in the settings.

*Turn off Wifi
* Location Services On
*Aeroplane Mode Off
*Turn On Bluetooth
*Turn On Garmin GLO and paired both IPAD and GPS (connected) GOOD

I then opened Maps from my IPAD and saw my home location ACTIVE marker pulsating which means I was getting a signal ..GREAT! Then I downloaded a app called GPS Diagnostics to check if I was getting satellite connection from my Garmin GLO and the GLO showed a strong 75% connection to a few satellites looking promising!!

I then did a distance test to see if the GPS would change my location marker to make sure it was working..I went about 20 kilometers and it tracked me all the way..which means the GPS is working in ref to location markers...BUT when I punch in a search location area on maps nothing happens! as if the maps are not linked to the GPS but when I turn Wifi back on and go Google maps WHAM! it is a instant find with no problem??? Should the Garmin GLO GPS do the same as Wifi/Google maps or is it just a location maker??? it says and shows in the advertising it does all the things that Wifi/Google does with maps. Am i doing something wrong? any advice is more than welcome..All this to get access  follow-me flying or to reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller allow me to change on the move.

Cheers

cistec
2016-10-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

cistec Posted at 2016-10-16 06:56
Hi

The maps come to you via the internet, all the Garmin does is provide GPS co-ordinates for where you are at the time. You still need some form of iternet connection to refresh the maps in you use the search function. You can cache the maps in advance, but you cannot use the search facility without an active internet connection.

You probably would have found it easier to swap the tablet for one with cellular capability, then all of this would have clicked into place.
2016-10-15
Use props
cistec
lvl.2
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-10-16 09:23
The maps come to you via the internet, all the Garmin does is provide GPS co-ordinates for where y ...

Thanks for the info Geebax Not what I wanted to hear. So just to summarise and to be sure the Garmin GLO is good for what??

I will tell you what I have done in the settings.

*Turn off Wifi
* Location Services On
*Aeroplane Mode Off
*Turn On Bluetooth
*Turn On Garmin GLO and paired both IPAD and GPS (connected) GOOD

I then opened Maps from my IPAD and saw my home location ACTIVE marker pulsating which means I was getting a signal ..GREAT! Then I downloaded a app called GPS Diagnostics to check if I was getting satellite connection from my Garmin GLO and the GLO showed a strong 75% connection to a few satellites looking promising!!

I then did a distance test to see if the GPS would change my location marker to make sure it was working..I went about 20 kilometers and it tracked me all the way..which means the GPS is working in ref to location markers...BUT when I punch in a search location area on maps nothing happens! as if the maps are not linked to the GPS but when I turn Wifi back on and go Google maps WHAM! it is a instant find with no problem (but this is at home with Wifi tower)??? Should the Garmin GLO GPS do the same as Wifi/Google maps or is it just a location maker??? it says and shows in the advertising it does all the things that Wifi/Google does with maps.

Am i doing something wrong? any advice is more than welcome..All this to get access follow-me flying or to reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller allow me to change on the move.

I would also like to know if I need to purchase a Australian map to upload on my Mini IPAD or Garmin GLO device for it to work? or does it already come preloaded?? sorry but this is the first time I have gone GPS portable device. Can I preload maps onto my IPAD and sync my Garmin??

Cheers

cistec
2016-10-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

cistec Posted at 2016-10-16 14:51
Thanks for the info Geebax Not what I wanted to hear. So just to summarise and to be sure the Garmi ...

Just to be clear, the Garmin GPS does not provide maps, they come to you from the Internet, so if you are in the field away from WiFi and your tablet does not have a cellular connection, you cannot access 'new' maps. All the Garmin provides is the GPS co-ordinates. But it will provide a much more accurate GPS location than any GPS built into a phone or tablet, so that is one thing it is good at.

It is essential to have an Internet connection when using the search function, because as soon as you perform a search, the maps application makes an enquiry via the internet to locate the area you asked for. But you do not have a connection to the Internet because your tablet does not have cellular capability. The maps you are seeing have been cached while you had a WiFi connection.

No, you do not have to buy an 'Australian' map, you just use the normal Apple or Google maps.

2016-10-16
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

cistec Posted at 2016-10-15 15:56
Hi

Good work and determination. I am not familiar with the Garmin GLO. I believe that Garmin uses their own mapping program. Two thoughts come to mind. One is to contact Garmin and two is to check Youtube for possible Tutorials on the Garmin Glo Operation.
2016-10-16
Use props
cistec
lvl.2
Australia

rodger Posted at 2016-10-16 23:05
Good work and determination. I am not familiar with the Garmin GLO. I believe that Garmin uses the ...

Thanks for your replies

I have tried to source more info on my situation but can find few videos tuts but thanks to all that commented on my problem.

But just to be sure can somebody clarify what is the big deal with Garmin GLO? what can it do now that  have purchased it ...Can it be used to activate the  "Follow Me" function? can i set a moving home point like a moving boat? or does that need cellular? what are the benefits of using it.
2016-10-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

cistec Posted at 2016-10-27 06:19
Thanks for your replies

I have tried to source more info on my situation but can find few videos t ...

I don't know about the Garmin Glo. I have never seen one nor do I know anything about it. I will say that you would be better off with the DJI program and its recommended devices. I use an iPad Mini 4 which is awesome and woks smoothly with my Phantoms utilisizing any of the available features that DJI has provided for us.
2016-10-27
Use props
cistec
lvl.2
Australia

rodger Posted at 2016-10-27 22:39
I don't know about the Garmin Glo. I have never seen one nor do I know anything about it. I will s ...

Ok Thanks.
2016-10-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Not a problem, good luck with your investment
2016-10-29
Use props
Advanced