Best Mileage? (and other random questions)
737 15 2016-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eye Spy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 531467 ft

Hello members,

I'm a newbie to P4 having just made 3 test flights for a total of 18 minutes. So far everthing seems to function perfectly. (I haven't used any advanced features - tap, POI, follow me etc.) I flew in an emply soccer field about 120M square. no wind, no spectators.

A couple of questions:
What is the most efficient flight mode, or in other words, what speed would give me my best miles-per-gallon? (distance/battery usage) I know the max velocities for each mode P,S,A. Also, if I flew at max altitude (500M) is that height significant enough to increase range?
So far, I've only test flown to a height of 30M and a distance of 54M, but I like to be (menatlly) prepared for a bad situation....

Second question. If I fly indoors (I haven't yet) can I use A-Mode but activate the Visual Positioning System. I seen to recal reading that P-Mode cant rely on the GPS system and may casue the P4 to wander...

Last question. In your opinion does one use the RTH feature ONLY as a last ditch attempt to recover the P4? (I havent tested that feature yet)

Thanks
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

Sport- It disables some of the features like obstacle avoidance, which take up a lot of battery.
Yes, the higher you fly, the better range you get, but only fly up to 400 feet, in fact, I got fined $500 for flying 500 feet.
Just don't fly indoors.
No, I use it if I am far away and just don't feel like flying back myself. Use it whenever you want to, and especially if you lose livestream.
2016-10-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would stick to 'P' mode, if there are insufficient satellites the it automatically switches to P-Opti mode.

If you're new to flying then avoid using Sports mode or you will not have the P4 for very long. Stick below 400 feet.

Fly in wide open space, keep the aircraft in sight and only use RTH as you say, as a last ditch attempt, it is not failsafe.

Once you have a bit of experience and understand how the aircraft will react in different situations then think about speeding up.
2016-10-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sport mode will eat your battery.
Object Avoidance will limit your speed to 10 metres/sec.
You will get the best flight distance in P-GPS mode with object avoidance disabled with the speed a little below full speed.
The difference is only a little more than you would get at full speed.

If your Phantom is far away you would get a better signal at 500 metres than you would at 25 metres.
But probably not much better than at 100 metres.
Certainly not enough to justify using battery for the long climb and longer descent as well as potentially being exposed to stronger winds up high.
There are also rules to consider.

Last question:
RTH is probably the most important flight system to learn and understand.
Flyers that don't learn how it works, how to use it and how to cancel RTH and resume control can easily lose their Phantom.
Read up on RTH and practise with it.
2016-10-16
Use props
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft

Jack Fedele Posted at 2016-10-17 01:08
Sport- It disables some of the features like obstacle avoidance, which take up a lot of battery.
Yes ...

I'd like to hear the details of how you were fined. Who contacted you. What country were you in? I've always been afraid of accidentally do that.
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

I'm in Mass. right next to Logan International. I was up 500 feet and a car pulled in.
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

A guy stepped out with a license and badge stating that he was part of the FAA.
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

He came over, asked for my license.
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

I always keep two copies printed.
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

If you get caught flying it 2 feet above ground without a license, you get fined up to $250,000.
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

A letter was sent from the FAA to me, stating I had to visit the office with a check for $500.
2016-10-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jack Fedele Posted at 2016-10-17 09:56
A letter was sent from the FAA to me, stating I had to visit the office with a check for $500.

Hey Jack, don't create a seperate reply for each line, it makes it very difficult to read your posts.
2016-10-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jack Fedele Posted at 2016-10-17 09:56

And what was the offence?
If it was flying at 500 ft, how did they establish your height?
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

they asked to look at the altitude from the DJI GO app
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

I could've bought 5 p4 batteries for the same amount of money
2016-10-16
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

They have the right to confiscate your drone? or you voluntered to show them the log? Did you have the faa number on the phantom? or they did not care? they wanted to see your faa license?

How were you able to fly next to an airport?
2016-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules