1545 8 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aledaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1787395 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Since yesterday Swedish court has made it illegal to fly FPV drones in Sweden. I hope other countries don't follow this stupid law. It's because the law of camera surveillance and people's privacy that hasn't been updated to match the evolution of tech!
2016-10-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow this is very sad to hear this news!

I hope that the law will be rescinded soon.... You guys need to complain to the government

Rich
2016-10-22
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Yes, it is a major blow for us companies in Sweden. My guess is that they shut us down in hope that there will be less incidents near airports, and that they are waiting for EU:s proposals for UAS regulation. Doing it in this way they don't have to spend time and money on constructing new laws and regulations before EU:s proposals come.

But, it is nevertheless shocking that they more or less forces hundreds of companies to shutdown their business. The laws are really strange here... They hinder us UAS companies to fly, in order to "protect people from being unknowingly photographed and filmed". However, in the same ruling, they said that filming with a dashcam is ok. So, a UAS pilot can't stand on a hill in a desolate forest, with no buildings, cars or other people around, fly up 40 meters and take a photo that shows treetops and a sunset. But anyone can put a camera in the car, filming them showing their registration plates, and publish it online. Well, it does not make sense, this surveillance law...

As an proffessional UAS pilot with a company, I have followed all the laws, registered all my aircrafts, paid the insurance for them, and for every shoot I have contacted nearby airports and institutions that can have a say in if I am allowed to fly there or not. I have also followed all the laws dealing with photo and films, and how they can be published etc. We already have strict laws governing us before this ruling came. So, this ruling to stop all flying in public space, is IMHO madness, we already have laws.

The problem is that there Always will be people who will not follow the laws. They who fly in prohibited airspace and photograph/films things they are not allowed to, either does not know anything about the laws, or they don't care about the law. By this ruling, they are not stopping these people, they are shutting down companies that follows the law.

Here is also an interesting bit: I got some work from a broker to take aerial photos of some houses. After first having talked to the governing insitution, I explained to the broker that by law, I can only take photos from the property itself, and in a way that that the photo does not show even a millimeter from public property or anyone elses property. Unfortunately the property was so small, so it did not make so much sense of an aerial shot, it would either show neighbours trees (which is not legal because of the surveillance law, there could after all, be a kid climbing in the tree...), or just roof. Coming back from the shoot, I decided to Google around other brokers photos on properties around where I live, and I saw many illegally shot aerial photos, with neighbour houses, cars etc. fully visible. I contacted the institution again and sent them links to these illegal photos, about a dozen just here or very Close to my city, and asked why they allow those images online, but they restricted me when I wanted to take some photos?... They where waiting on this ruling, he said. Well, I will get in contact with them again and see how they will react now, and if they will order the other brokers to remove those illegal images or not.
2016-10-22
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Rob W Posted at 2016-10-23 15:04
Yes, it is a major blow for us companies in Sweden. My guess is that they shut us down in hope that  ...

I will not stop filming with my drone in Sweden. Call me what you want - make me a criminal in that country - I will continue to film there when passing through.
2016-10-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure within a few years that drones will be illegal in most developed countries.
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It really is a shame. Hopefully there could be a chance for proper regulation as opposed to a complete ban in the future.
2016-10-23
Use props
werner.daehn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Does anybody know who sued whom? A little bit more background other than the headline would be nice.

With the same arguments used for the drones you could ban every camera with Wifi as you could use it to remote control it from the distance. And how about taking a photo from the airplane? A selfie stick can be used to peek into the neighbors garden, hence all of these should be banned as well. So no more DSLRs, GoPros, cameras with timer functionality or remote triggers. They can all be used as surveillance one way or the other.
2016-10-23
Use props
fans09fbefac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

So it is no longer legal in Sweden to fly a drone with a camera attached but is it legal to fly a drone with shotgun underneath?
2016-11-3
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Time to approach your local legislative representative OP - gather a number of other local UAV business people and lobby for change.
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules