Wide Angle Lens for iPhone That Won't Block Microphone?
1913 4 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dansouliere
lvl.2
Canada

I purchased an OSMO Mobile yesterday and so far I could not be happier with it.

The issue I am having is with the focal length of my iPhone 6S. Its equivalent to 29mm and I need something much wider.

I tried to Olloclip and was able to balance it PERFECTLY on my OSMO but it blocks the micropohone so its useless for video.
2016-10-29
Use props
dansouliere
lvl.2
Canada

Looks like the Moment wide angle lens could work because it does not cover up the mic but its almost 2X heavier than the Olloclip and all that weight is on the back of the phone.

I would need to add some weight to the side of the gimbal to compensate for the extra weight side-to-side but I am unable to compensate of the weight front-to-back.

Another option would be to keep the Olloclip and use some type of external microphone solution. Maybe find a way to extend a Rode Video Mic Me with a 3.5mm extension?
2016-10-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft

Does the Olloclip always block the microphone on the 6s?

Or does the Olloclip block it only when you balance it with the OSMO Mobile?

Man, it really seems like DJI designed the OSMO mobile without testing any other peripherals, lens adapters, microphones, or even lighting ports for charging.
2016-10-29
Use props
dansouliere
lvl.2
Canada

jamesw Posted at 2016-10-29 10:17
Does the Olloclip always block the microphone on the 6s?

Or does the Olloclip block it only when yo ...

It always blocks both front and rear mic's.
2016-10-29
Use props
dansouliere
lvl.2
Canada

Update:

The Olloclip Active lens is not compatible with the OSMO mobile. The lens is too wide. You can see the gimbal arm on the right side of the screen.

I will need to use the Olloclip 4-in-1 because the wide angle less has a more narrow field of view.

I was able to successfully attach an external mic (Rode VideoMic Pro) to a DJI straight extension and with DJI cold shoe mount. It requires the use of a Rode SC4 TRS to TRRS converter to connect the mic to the phone.
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules