battery care
1934 16 2016-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe8e35c4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

i am new to flying drones and so I looked at many videos.my only concern at the moment is the care for the batteries after viewing many videos they vary from video to video.
I am not sure about what level to let my batteries drop to when it comes to 20 charges and then do a maintenance charge
I used my battery yesterday and when I checked today it said it was 29% so I charged it back upto 49% and then stopped the charge as it is looking like a few days bad weather and I changed my auto battery drain to 3 days instead of 10 days did I do right to do the short charge.
any other advice is appreciated too.
2016-11-1
Use props
brunobaptista55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

Hi, there are many methods, some more strict than others, but as general rules:

- Fully charge before flying, and only fly from a fully charged battery.
- On its (battery) first 10 cycles, discharge until 50%. Recharge to 100% when you will get to fly again (day before, for example).
- After that, discharging to around 30% is probably what will maximize battery lilfespan (duration of battery, not flight time).
- At each 20 cycles, discharge to 8% and then fully charge.

Keep it away from heat sources (NEVER on a car exposed to sunlight).
NEVER keep it fully charged for more than 3-5 days.

If you discharge to around 30% and will use it in the next few days/2 weeks, no need to charge to 50%.

2016-11-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, only fly them new batteries down to 50% the first ten flights.
According to DJI-Ken, They now recommend a deep cycle after every ten full charges...

RedHotPoker
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Here is the DJI official tutorial for Intelligent Battery Use and Maintenance, hope this helps:
2016-11-1
Use props
fansfe8e35c4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can I leave the battery in the drone if I'm not going to use it for a while and does it matter if it self discharges whilst still attached to the drone?sorry for so many questions but I guess if I ask the silly question it will help others too
2016-11-1
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

fansfe8e35c4 Posted at 2016-11-2 08:48
Can I leave the battery in the drone if I'm not going to use it for a while and does it matter if it ...

Hi! If you leave battery on drone, this will not trigger the self-discharge feature, so I do not advice you to leave battery on drone.
2016-11-2
Use props
fansfe8e35c4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was just looking online and are the battery charge bags worth buying. They are supposed to protect your battery and fireproof
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansfe8e35c4 Posted at 2016-11-2 15:48
Can I leave the battery in the drone if I'm not going to use it for a while and does it matter if it ...

Agree with Nicola90s, it's recommended to take it out of the drone if you do not use it.
2016-11-2
Use props
fansfe8e35c4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well just an idea. What about dji making a blank cover for the battery compartment so stop any dust getting inside when battery is removed
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansfe8e35c4 Posted at 2016-11-2 18:00
Well just an idea. What about dji making a blank cover for the battery compartment so stop any dust  ...

Thanks for your suggestion, will feedback to our engineers.
2016-11-2
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 446355 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-1 18:34
Yes, only fly them new batteries down to 50% the first ten flights.
According to DJI-Ken, They now r ...

What do you mean deep cycle?
2016-11-2
Use props
fansfe8e35c4
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I guess deep cycle means from like 10% to full charge
2016-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

keiser08 Posted at 2016-11-2 06:13
What do you mean deep cycle?

Yes, a Deep Cycle for your flight battery, does mean to drain the battery right down, to a very low voltage like about 8%, or even a bit lower percent and then charge it back up to 100%.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-11-2 03:02
Hi! If you leave battery on drone, this will not trigger the self-discharge feature, so I do not ad ...

Yes, your intelligent flight battery will most certainly discharge itself as set while in the drone. Why wouldn't it? Mine do.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-2
Use props
skyticlus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322684 ft

At the beginning when i bought the drone when flying the first three months I always landed when it was between 20% and 30% but now I just keep on flying untill i get to 10-15% before I land it, i did notice that the aircraft refuses to fly when under 10% of battery life. So far so good, haven't had any complains with my battery, didn't even damage and i do have had some bad crashes with it but battery still functions very well =D

I do take the battery out of the aircraft most of the times when i'm not flying, it doesn't happen always but i do try ... also if it is cold outside, try warming the battery up before flying with it otherwise it will drain faster
2016-11-2
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-2 21:12
Yes, your intelligent flight battery will most certainly discharge itself as set while in the dron ...

Thanks for feedback, seems I was wrong, however to be honest, I never tried to leave the battery inside the aircraft for much time.
2016-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-11-3 03:39
Thanks for feedback, seems I was wrong, however to be honest, I never tried to leave the battery i ...

No problem, we all have to learn these things, one way or another. I always leave a battery in my drone. It may get slightly warm during the auto discharge function. But it will never get as hot as when you are flying with it in the drone.

This awesome RC technology and DJI drone design, still makes me smile with utmost delight. Very pleasantly in awe.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules