Do I need bluetooth enabled on my phone?
5793 14 2015-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dchicora.comcas
lvl.1

United States

Hello all.  Noob question here.  I am new to all this stuff and just recently purchased the P2V+.  I keep seeing references of bluetooth to this machine in my scouring of the internet to figure stuff out but nothing definitive about bluetooth.  
My question is, "Do I need bluetooth enabled on my phone or tablet in order to use the groundstation app?"

Like I said, I keep seeing vague references about bluetooth but nothing definitive.

Thanks.
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I believe you can convert to Bluetooth for more range but basic set up is WiFi
2015-2-8
Use props
dchicora.comcas
lvl.1

United States

Ok.  Thank you.
2015-2-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please turn BT off and put your phone in Airplane mode.  You want to avoid potential interference.  
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Bluetooth will run you phone battery down faster. I don't have to put mine in Airplane mode and have stayed connected with Bluetooth enabled for an hour. As I mentioned before having the  AT&T Smart WiFi app enabled caused my WiFi to switch after 3 minutes every time. I guess because it was "smart" it switched me to a connection with internet access.
2015-2-8
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

I've got a Phantom 2, but I never need to use BT. Some say to put your phone in airplane mode and I probably recommend doing that. I don't (but probably should). I do however turn off any applications I might have open on my phone.
2015-2-8
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The Vision app connects to the Wi-Fi range extender on the transmitter, it does not use Bluetooth, so no, you do not need it turned on.
2015-2-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Anyone know what happens if you get a call on your phone while connected?
2015-2-8
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Nothing, just answer it, or not, and return to the app.
2015-2-8
Use props
dchicora.comcas
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for all the replys.  Some good info to know.
2015-2-12
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-9 01:00

Bluetooth has very limited range. Your gonna want to wifi antenna upgrade or amped up extender to get more range.
2015-2-12
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-9 01:00

Bluetooth has very limited range. Your gonna want to wifi antenna upgrade or amped up extender to get more range.
2015-2-12
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-9 08:51
Anyone know what happens if you get a call on your phone while connected?

I've never had one as I fly in Airplane mode and then I enable Wifi, forget the other networks that show up and only have the Phantom available as a network and I have Bluetooth turned off..
Basically eliminate as much chance for any interference as I can.
2015-2-12
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
United States

From a technical standpoint Bluetooth and Wifi B/G/N operate in the range of 2400–2483.5 GHZ. Remember on the phantom vision series the 2.4 is used ONLY for the video/data feed. The higher wifi 5.8 GHZ is more important as it is the controller frequency. Getting a call will stop your video feed but you will still be able to fly.
2015-2-12
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-2-9 08:22
Please turn BT off and put your phone in Airplane mode.  You want to avoid potential interference.

Wi-Fi connection will also die in airplane mode......   dynamic home point?    etc...   

2015-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules