1079 5 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
Was out earlier for a quick flight. Temp about 5C to 6C, flying on a huge expanse of shoreline - no buildings within several miles, no metal nearby.
IMU calibrated last night, compass calibrated before the flight - about 20 ft away from my flight bag and gear. On FW v1.7.90

First flight, all seemed good then as I was returning I got the compass error-  Atti mode. That fixed itself briefly, then again, compass error - Atti mode.
2nd flight - same thing - compass error - Atti mode. This time it didn't auto fix and toggling S1 didn't help. Brought it home in Atti.
3rd flight -  no problems

So, I have a few questions:

In a compass error state -
will RTH work?
can I trust the map/radar info - ie position and direction
if compass error happens when I'm at or near the signal max range, a 10mph wind could quickly take it out of signal - see Q1
should I request a warranty repair? I'm really not comfortable with this compass error situation.

Here are my HD logs
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ENERALNotifications

Almost tempted to bring my old trusty P2V out of retirement - it just works!

2016-11-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Have you tried to change different locations without interference to check the performance?
What's the aircraft firmware version? and what mobile device you are using? APP is the latest, right?
2016-11-22
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi, yes I've tried different locations. Fw is 1.7.90 and device is iPhone 6
2016-11-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-11-22 17:04
Hi, yes I've tried different locations. Fw is 1.7.90 and device is iPhone 6

It's probably a hardware issue. I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-11-22
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi thanks for that. I contacted support separately and they have already offered a rma warranty return.

Just as a matter of interest, will cold weather upset the compass, i.e. A drop in temp to 4c?
2016-11-22
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Finally fitted a new compass last night, and did a quick test flight today.

For anyone in the same situation - part 71 is for the standard, part 29 for the pro/advanced.
Fitting was fairly straightforward. Opening the shell is fiddly, there are retaining clips along the arms and in the in the mid points of the shell. You'll need a T6 and T8 Torx bits, then after unscrewing the bolts and prising the arms apart I put a screwdriver between the top and bottom parts of each arm to stop it snapping back closed, making popping the center part fairly easy.

The flight was done in the same location as last time - where I was getting constant and easily reproducible errors. The only difference, which is still a Q in my mind, is the temp. Last flights it was around 4C - 5C. Today it was 12C and very windy (24mph).

After a compass calibration I attempted to induce a compass error by rotating at full yaw both CW and CCW. I did this about 20 times in each direction at different locations on the flight path.

No errors. Not a single one.

I then did some fairly aggressive moves side to side, rotating, braking hard - still no errors. In fact, this is the 1st P3 flight I have had with no errors.

<--- that's me now.

now - stop raining!
2016-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules