Osmo raw files playback choppy/jumpy
1764 11 2016-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SnoopMarky
New

Isle of Man

Oh my lord, please help me.

I shot some test footage on a new DJI Osmo, filmed in 1080 23.98fps and the playback of these files are choppy and jumpy like crazy?!  I've uploaded a sample to YouTube below but can someone please help as to what's gone wrong?  I've been trying to edit these files in FCP and it just makes it worse on a 23.98 timeline etc.

I've a 2015 MBP so I know it's not the mac that struggling.

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

2016-11-21
Use props
Oglo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

Are the files off your phone, or downloaded from the SD card on the camera? The jumpiness looks like the normal laggy/jumpy picture you get from the HD video stream being sent to your phone over wifi(which at time struggles to keep up because of the high bandwidth and processing - this normal for the phone version being recorded). Hope I'm not being too basic here as you're a newbie, but do you realise the clean movie stream is recorded to the SD card which slides into the slot next to the lens..... These files shouldn't have the jerkiness. You can also get this jerky effect in very bright light(usually bright sunlit day) when you don't use ND filters. The Osmo has a fixed aperture of 2.8(?) so only way to compensate for bright scenes is to use very fast shutter which makes every frame super sharp without any motion blur. Motion blur on moving footage is vital to give smooth movement - hence the accessory ND filter kits that DJI sell. FWIW the clip you've shown doesn't really look as though there was too much light but it's just another potential reason. I've only answered your post because no one else has, hope it helps. If you find out what caused the problem can you post it so others will have it as a reference. ;)
2016-11-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Mark, did you check the original video file in SD card?
Please upload the original video file to dropbox and send me the link.
I'll help to check it.
2016-11-22
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

I am having the same problem.

Video recorded in 4k 25fps and the footage looks choppy. The footage from Mavic drone look so much smoother. Not impressed!!
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-23 23:51
I am having the same problem.

Video recorded in 4k 25fps and the footage looks choppy. The footage  ...

Have you tried a different SD card? You need to send it in to DJI if your video is as choppy as the OP's.
2016-11-24
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-24 08:10
Have you tried a different SD card? You need to send it in to DJI if your video is as choppy as th ...

It is like that and I am waiting for a reply from DJI support.

Also my wildest focal length is 23.1mm not 22mm. I still don't know how is that possible.
Can you shed some light, Thor?
2016-11-24
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-24 17:36
It is like that and I am waiting for a reply from DJI support.

Also my wildest focal length is 23 ...

I can't. Where did you see that?
2016-11-24
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-25 04:30
I can't. Where did you see that?

On the right hand side of go app screen, between letter T and W shows the exact focal length you are on. But my only goes to 23.1mm not 22mm.
2016-11-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-25 16:02
On the right hand side of go app screen, between letter T and W shows the exact focal length you a ...

It's supposed to go to 22.0 from 23.1 when you click the button once.

I suspect it's a hardware issue with your camera.

If you do find this unacceptable, you can talk with the seller to see if you can get an exchange. Or use online chat at www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to send in your unit for an exchange, when you don't plan to use it for a while(in winter for example).
2016-11-25
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-25 08:58
It's supposed to go to 22.0 from 23.1 when you click the button once.

I suspect it's a hardware i ...

I am off for a long holiday tomorrow morning, so can't send it back for an exchange.
Still waiting a reply from DJI support  to see if I can exchange when I come back on January.

Two faulty new devices in one week from DJI. (sigh)
2016-11-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-25 17:13
I am off for a long holiday tomorrow morning, so can't send it back for an exchange.
Still waitin ...

Yes, of course, you can exchange/repair it within the warranty period.
2016-11-25
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

China

I found a related article on Google. Hope it will be helpful to you. Goog luck!
2017-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules