Dead car charger?
2307 15 2016-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
t0ny
lvl.2
United States

Just received my Mavic. I tried to use my car charger and I can't seem to get it to do anything. The light on it blinks and the battery's lights act like it is charging but nothing happens.

I hooked up my Watts up and multi meter to it and very little power is being used. I tried running it from my car, 12v PSU, and a lead acid battery.

https://streamable.com/0cqo Here is a video of my test setup in action. The small pulse of current happens at the same time the LED blinks.

Any ideas?
2016-11-29
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

It's been mentioned before the car charger needs the engine running to work properly.
2016-11-29
Use props
t0ny
lvl.2
United States

eyecapture Posted at 2016-11-29 11:41
It's been mentioned before the car charger needs the engine running to work properly.

Yea, I tried in my Prius which provides a nice 13.87v and it still was drawing 1 watt.
IMG_20161128_162113.jpg
2016-11-30
Use props
JH3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 688894 ft
Australia

t0ny Posted at 2016-11-30 21:21
Yea, I tried in my Prius which provides a nice 13.87v and it still was drawing 1 watt.

I'm also frustrated by the car charger. When its light is blinking, its not working.  

Letting the car idle for an hour seems ridiculous, so far this is the only thing about the mavic which disappoints me. I'm currently waiting for delivery for a 12V -> 13.8V voltage booster so i can charge when the engine isn't running. I tried a smaller booster rated for 8amps, but that wouldn't do it. The bottom of the charger says 9 amps.  So now I'm waiting for one rated for up to 25amps.

If that doesn't work, I'll fit a bigger inverter, because my 150W pure sine wave inverter also won't work with the 240V charger.

Pain in the ass. Wouldn't be so bad if i had more than one mavic battery.  Angry at myself for not ordering the flymore combo.
2016-11-30
Use props
t0ny
lvl.2
United States

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-30 06:06
I'm also frustrated by the car charger. When its light is blinking, its not working.  

Letting th ...

My car is outputting 13.8v as in the last picture and nothing is happening?

Is the charger expecting a higher voltage?
2016-11-30
Use props
andersonn
lvl.2

United States

That is completely useless then if the vehicle has to be running in order to charge the battery.  I bought a car charger that is supposed to be here tomorrow. (through Amazon so if it doesn't work its going back)  My truck has a 110V inverter built in to the dash but the engine has to be running for it to work, only reason I bought the car charger is because I figured it could charge with the engine off.  
2016-11-30
Use props
JH3
lvl.2
Australia

t0ny Posted at 2016-11-30 23:05
My car is outputting 13.8v as in the last picture and nothing is happening?

Is the charger expect ...

13.8 should be enough, maybe the prius 12v outlet can't put out the 9 amps the mavic charger wants, or maybe your load measuring doohickey is interfering.
2016-12-1
Use props
JH3
lvl.2
Australia

andersonn Posted at 2016-12-1 02:15
That is completely useless then if the vehicle has to be running in order to charge the battery.  I  ...

Yes. completely useless. Also, I tried a quality 150watt pure sine wave inverter with my mains charger, it also wouldn't charge, even with the engine running.  150watt should do, but maybe it charges with pulses which goes over the 150watt limit.
2016-12-1
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

JH3 Posted at 2016-11-30 09:06

Letting th ...

If you ordered the fly more combo, you would still be waiting for it. Good luck.
2016-12-1
Use props
andersonn
lvl.2

United States

Well the charger doesn't work unless the vehicle is running for me either.  Not too happy with that, kind of pointless to have now.  Anyone looking for one?
2016-12-2
Use props
fans461d5301
New
Ukraine

Hey guys,

I've ordered Combo Fly 1 month ago. But looks like I have issues with a car charger. It behaves in a strange way. Upon charging LED is not always ON. I see it on for approx 10 seconds, then it turns off for approx 10 seconds then turning on for 10 seconds, etc. Is that ok? My battery is being charged, but I'm not feeling ok because a battery is also turning constantly on and off upon charging with a car charger. I have tried charging on different cars, the same scenario.

Should car charger's LED always be ON?
2017-10-23
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

fans461d5301 Posted at 2017-10-23 01:37
Hey guys,

I've ordered Combo Fly 1 month ago. But looks like I have issues with a car charger. It behaves in a strange way. Upon charging LED is not always ON. I see it on for approx 10 seconds, then it turns off for approx 10 seconds then turning on for 10 seconds, etc. Is that ok? My battery is being charged, but I'm not feeling ok because a battery is also turning constantly on and off upon charging with a car charger. I have tried charging on different cars, the same scenario.

Have heard of this multiple times, I decided to just go to Auto Zone and pick up a 750W $59.99 USD inverter, hooked it up to my car battery, stuck it under my seat and charge anything with standard 110-120V DJI chargers. Takes the same time as charging at home.
2017-10-23
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I had exactly the same problem. I returned the charger to DJI and it was replaced. The replacement works perfectly.

See my thread on this (complete with a video, which I'm guessing shows exactly what you're seeing): Car battery charger doesn't work!

Also see my follow-up post: Positive DJI Support Experience - DJI Mindy & Oscar
2017-10-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fans461d5301 Posted at 2017-10-23 01:37
Hey guys,

For most of the cases, the led should be always on when it is working. Could you please provide us with a video for this case? I'll help to check it.
2017-10-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Jyunte Posted at 2017-10-23 10:43
I had exactly the same problem. I returned the charger to DJI and it was replaced. The replacement works perfectly.

See my thread on this (complete with a video, which I'm guessing shows exactly what you're seeing): Car battery charger doesn't work!

Very glad that you get things resolved and thank you so much for your sharing the story. Have a nice day.
2017-10-24
Use props
fans461d5301
New
Ukraine

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-24 03:36
For most of the cases, the led should be always on when it is working. Could you please provide us with a video for this case? I'll help to check it.

Yes, my car charger behaves exactly the same as it's shown on video mentioned by Jyunte if you open his link.https://youtu.be/hwMvE3YbtsQ
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules