1064 11 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans92b36800
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1023182 ft
Netherlands

Hi DJI,

Question: should I send the Mavic back straight away or is there anything I can do?

Situation:
Unpacked the combo package, installed everything and all looks fine (latest firmware, latest Go app, did IMU calibration, charged everything)
The motors (without props) started shortly, but stopped with giving error "Esc error, contact DJI if problem persists."

Motors do not want to start anymore with the same message.
Tried all 3 batteries (combo)
Tried with props on, without props on.
The engines turn fine manually.

I've had a Phantom 3 Adv and a 3 Professional, so not totally new to this.

Any help is appreciated.

Rover
2016-12-5
Use props
fans05e6c58a
lvl.3
United States

did you give it throttle while the blades were off.
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Rover, please try to restore factory defaults via DJI assistant and refresh the firmware again.
Please keep us posted.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans92b36800
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ok Mindy, will do.

and yes, I did throttle with blades off. Shouldn't I have done that?

2016-12-6
Use props
fans92b36800
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi Mindy, done the factory reset through DJI assistant, uploaded the new firmware. Same error. Any other suggestions?

Rover
2016-12-6
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

fans92b36800 Posted at 2016-12-6 05:13
Ok Mindy, will do.

and yes, I did throttle with blades off. Shouldn't I have done that?

It definitely doesn't seem like a good idea to run the motors without the props on. The props add resistance to the motor so it spins at the optimum speed, with no props, they spin at full speed and could potentially damage the motors or ESCs, especially with all of the info that these "smart" drones monitor.

When building scratch-built quads, we run the motors up (without props) to check motor direction, but at the minimum speed and only for a few seconds.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans92b36800
lvl.2
Netherlands

FPVJunkie Posted at 2016-12-6 18:59
It definitely doesn't seem like a good idea to run the motors without the props on. The props add resistance to the motor so it spins at the optimum speed, with no props, they spin at full speed and could potentially damage the motors or ESCs, especially with all of the info that these "smart" drones monitor.

When building scratch-built quads, we run the motors up (without props) to check motor direction, but at the minimum speed and only for a few seconds.

I've done it tens of times with the Phantom 3 (and so did my dealer) and never had any issue. But you might be right as I can not think of any other cause. On the other hand one can expect from DJI that with so many failsafe measures, this could/should be one.
2016-12-6
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Yeah, may I ask why you did it so many times with your Phantom? I could possibly understand with a new drone, making sure everything turns on prior to attaching the blades so it doesn't try to hover with 3 motors and crash.

It likely tripped an ESC over-current warning or something, but with DJI-Mindy's suggestion, I would think it would have reset all the faults.

Have you tried uploading your "flight" logs to healthydrones? You might be able to see exactly what error is occurring to provide additional info to DJI before they tell you just to return it without fully troubleshooting the issue. Would you mind posting them to this thread? I'd be interested to see what types of messages are triggered when the props aren't installed.
2016-12-6
Use props
look_alive
lvl.1

United States

The props being off shouldn't have been an issue. It's actually suggested when replacing motors or ESC on the Phantom line of drones.  You have an issue and should contact DJI and send it back.

Testing props and motors is perfectly fine on a Phantom, for those asking. Wind resistance is no different than hovering as a tripod indoors.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans92b36800
lvl.2
Netherlands

@fpv junkie: I have the DJI logs, and the go app was synchronising with HealthyDrones, but somehow HD did not accept the 'flights'. So no other data then the error message itself.

I've made notice to the DJI technical service, maybe they come up with something.

2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans92b36800 Posted at 2016-12-7 01:25
Hi Mindy, done the factory reset through DJI assistant, uploaded the new firmware. Same error. Any other suggestions?

Rover

If the error persists, please send it in for further evaluation.
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-12-6
Use props
fans92b36800
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi Mindy, a bit late reply. But the Mavic was accepted as DOA and got a new one in 3 days. Very good service all the way, also from you.

tnx!
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules