12Next >
3724 44 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansae6de894
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1539 ft
United States

A thousand pardons if this has already been beating to death...  But, please, please please make "Infinity" the default focus until operator selects, "taps" to focus...   I just drove an hour and a half ome way to shoot the Snow Goose migration, had a terrific flight and on the way home it hit me... didn't tap to focus....   Yup...  footage no good...    I like selective focus but, it should FAIL SAFE....   Should be an easy fix...

Thanks!
2016-12-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload the original video file to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.
2016-12-6
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

I agree. I understand the idea behind tap to focus, but it's not a good default for me. I'm having a lot of trouble remembering to do it regularly.
2016-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

I also agree , must be a lot of disappointed people when they arrive home..
2016-12-6
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-6 02:40
Could you please upload the original video file to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.

I deleted it because it was, out of focus...   I ma just asking that in a future firmware upgrade, Focus be set to infinite at start up...  Rather than a few feet in front of the camera which is a useless distance to be focused at...   If you set focus to infinite,  those who forget to tap will at least get a usable recording...  
2016-12-6
Use props
FlyLowandSlow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3505518 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never had a shot out of focus till the mavic. I wish the focus was part of the shutter button like the phantom4pro or all cameras
2016-12-6
Use props
GeForceFX-be
lvl.2

Belgium

Doesn't the camera keep it's set focus after shutdown? So if you fly the first time and make sure to tap in the distance to get infinite focus, than land and shutdown, than next day you fly again without ever touching the screen for focus again, wouldn't it still be in infinite?  
2016-12-6
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
United States

GeForceFX-be Posted at 2016-12-6 10:04
Doesn't the camera keep it's set focus after shutdown? So if you fly the first time and make sure to tap in the distance to get infinite focus, than land and shutdown, than next day you fly again without ever touching the screen for focus again, wouldn't it still be in infinite?

Nope... You start all over again.
2016-12-6
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
Australia

I agree that so far the hardest part of flying the Mavic has been to remembering to focus.

I think there needs to be extra focus modes somehow, one of which is "tracking auto" focus on the selected point, defaulting to centre (or some multipoint system like normal cameras). This way, especially for stills, you would not have to worry about hitting the shutter button. For video it could again be broken down into focus until capture starts or continual AF. The existing Manual Focus is cute but useless as you have to scroll on the screen to work - if it used the exposure wheel when activated, now that would be so much better.

Usability - not a core part of the design process right now.
2016-12-6
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
United States

I so move that DJI, as part of the system start-up, insert code to focus the camera to infinity leaving the user free to tap selectivity and change the focus point. All in favor say. aye... Apposed... STFU...
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansae6de894 Posted at 2016-12-6 20:35
I deleted it because it was, out of focus...   I ma just asking that in a future firmware upgrade, Focus be set to infinite at start up...  Rather than a few feet in front of the camera which is a useless distance to be focused at...   If you set focus to infinite,  those who forget to tap will at least get a usable recording...

If you have any other videos out of focus, please upload it to dropbox.
I'll help to report it.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans1ff8d943
New

Hong Kong

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-7 03:49
I agree that so far the hardest part of flying the Mavic has been to remembering to focus.

I think there needs to be extra focus modes somehow, one of which is "tracking auto" focus on the selected point, defaulting to centre (or some multipoint system like normal cameras). This way, especially for stills, you would not have to worry about hitting the shutter button. For video it could again be broken down into focus until capture starts or continual AF. The existing Manual Focus is cute but useless as you have to scroll on the screen to work - if it used the exposure wheel when activated, now that would be so much better.

AGREE!  Fixed focus is fine for me.
2016-12-6
Use props
Crusader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-7 03:15
I'll help to report it.

@DJI Mindy,

There is nothing to report, user forgot to tap to focus so now has unusable footage.

OP would like a software fix with default auto focus, now default is set to manual (tap) to focus and this means you have to remember to tap to focus every time you want to film.
2016-12-7
Use props
patton
lvl.1

United States

I agree, I am finding tap to focus super tedious and if you don't do it you wasted all your time getting the shots.. I'd tap to focus just be an option you enable IF you want it.
2016-12-7
Use props
fansdb9230b2
lvl.1

United States

Solution Put a sticky note on remote. *remember to Focus* until we get a software update
2016-12-7
Use props
fans724e4845
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2446266 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-6 22:15
I'll help to report it.

how many videos do you want?
Everyone is having the same problem, go fly one and you will see for yourself how bad it is.

2016-12-7
Use props
Crusader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fans724e4845 Posted at 2016-12-7 15:30
how many videos do you want?
Everyone is having the same problem, go fly one and you will see for yourself how bad it is.

You mean, how bad people remember to tap to focus.
2016-12-7
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

If you want an example go look at literally any of the first batch of reviews on YouTube.

Even just having the Mavic retain whatever focus level it was last set to when it is powered on would be great. Why would I ever want to focus a couple feet in front of me?
2016-12-7
Use props
DownUnderDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450472 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Add me to the list of people who HATE tap to focus.
2016-12-7
Use props
67pa8lb0Q0T6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

I don't quite understand what is going on here. So far I have not seen this issue but I am also new to drones. If someone can help upload an example I would like to see what is happening. So far on all my flights I have not tapped to focus and have gotten pretty good footage.
2016-12-7
Use props
creep
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6072713 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Please combine start video record and center focus like a C1 button then all be happy)))
2016-12-7
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44797 ft
United States

agree, just add an option: tap focus ON /OFF
2016-12-7
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
United States

Richard Mavic p Posted at 2016-12-7 13:57
agree, just add an option: tap focus ON /OFF

I would add code to focus to infinity at start up and leave "tap" on....  
2016-12-7
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
United States

67pa8lb0Q0T6 Posted at 2016-12-7 13:02
I don't quite understand what is going on here. So far I have not seen this issue but I am also new to drones. If someone can help upload an example I would like to see what is happening. So far on all my flights I have not tapped to focus and have gotten pretty good footage.

That sis odd...  How do you launch..  Maybe the better question is, what is the camera seeing when you boot the aircraft?  Are you holding it when you turn it on or is it on the ground?
2016-12-7
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I set my C2 button to center focus, I just hit that button every so often. I do like the idea of a default infinity focus though, seems like a no brainer.
2016-12-7
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

another vote for infinity focus as default and tap to focus as an option.
2016-12-7
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

Here is an example of my recent video. I don't tap to focus on anything. Can you please let me know what I am missing.
On the bottom left you might see an arc of reflection. That is reflection from my gimbal cover.

2016-12-11
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-6 19:15
I'll help to report it.

I noticed at the beginning of some videos posted from the Mavic that the beginning of the video is not focused. Then it gets focused. Is this when it got tapped to focus? There are several videos just like this one, this just happened to be the first one I came across when looking for this thread.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-71405-1-1.html
2016-12-11
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I notice since last firmware at least it now seems to focus when you first start recording.
So don't start recording until well off the ground and it will select something more distant which is usually what you want.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-12 11:58
I noticed at the beginning of some videos posted from the Mavic that the beginning of the video is not focused. Then it gets focused. Is this when it got tapped to focus? There are several videos just like this one, this just happened to be the first one I came across when looking for this thread.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-71405-1-1.html

Yes, probably.
Do you have any problem after tapping to focus?
2016-12-12
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 02:47
Yes, probably.
Do you have any problem after tapping to focus?

The weather is stopping me from having my maiden flight with the Mavic. Last night it showed 5 days of glorious sunshine. I wake up to snow!!! Talk about climate change, it only took a few hours. Although the winter scene does look beautiful.
2016-12-12
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

Some of you guys don't understand how depth of field and minimum focus distance works.

I don't have the exact numbers at the top of my head, but with a 1/2.3" sensor, f/2.2 fixed aperture and 28mm equiv focal length, if Dji set the camera with a fixed focus at infinity, that means anything closer than 20m will be soft.  This was a problem as well with the P4, as close subject would be soft. But the P4 didn't suffer too much as it's wider at 20mm focal length and 2.8 aperture, so it had a greater dof.

For the Mavic, it is impossible to have everything in focus from 0.5m to infinity. That's why they have tap to focus. You can focus on something as close to 0.5m or tap to focus to inifinity. The tap to focus is not so much a feature, but it's a necessity.

I believe the newest firmware addressed this complaint and I see it on the screen that it focuses prior to recording.

I have c1 as exposure and c2 as focus and the only time I had a out of focus video was when it was too dark and the camera couldn't focus.

2016-12-12
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

Maybe what you guys are requesting is continuous auto focus?

This can be seen in active track mode as it keeps the subject in focus no matter how close or far it is.
2016-12-12
Use props
James L.
lvl.2
United States

I think they just added c-af on their recent update.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Just as James mentioned. The new DJI GO 4 app added continuous autofocus.
2016-12-15
Use props
A.L.E.X
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361132 ft
Canada

I'm not a professional, but what I gather from other threads is that the trade-off with a larger sensor on the P4P is a smaller DOF, meaning, even at optimal "do all" focus settings, a landscape shot will not be as uniformly focused as cameras with smaller sensors. I feel this level of specialization is better suited to the Inspire series, and for Phantoms and the Mavic, a more user friendly (translated- fixed focus) camera is appropriate. Perhaps the P5 will have a small sensor, fixed aperture/focus version before the P5P comes out.
2017-1-5
Use props
BrutusJV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

I posted this in a previous thread, however here are two examples:

Look 12s in

from today, where autofocus just didn't get it right until I pan the camera down, and click on the screen.

and from yesterday
look 8s in
2017-1-5
Use props
fans3d2c0c91
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391040 ft
United States

Yeah, setting the edge of the DoF to infinity as default would give us the deepest DoF until we chose to tap to focus.  I'm in favor of the FW being updated to set it that way.  

At night it would really REALLY come in handy as AF can't handle the low light and MF is very hard to read accurately in night footage on the small screen.
2017-1-5
Use props
River One
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans3d2c0c91 Posted at 2017-1-5 16:42
Yeah, setting the edge of the DoF to infinity as default would give us the deepest DoF until we chose to tap to focus.  I'm in favor of the FW being updated to set it that way.  

At night it would really REALLY come in handy as AF can't handle the low light and MF is very hard to read accurately in night footage on the small screen.

I agree this is now and has been a much need fix since the hour of rollout AND THIS WAS NOT DISCLOSED AT THE ROLLOUT ON SEPT 27TH BY DJI!!
2017-1-5
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I don't believe continuous auto focus is the answer. The easiest way at the moment for a new user like me, is to put a histogram on the screen and set C1 or C2 to Centre Focus and the other C button to camera settings.
2017-1-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules