2828 16 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1329629 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had been following the shipping thread for weeks now as I awaited the shipment of the Mavic bundle that I ordered on 10-22-16.  I was really willing to wait it out until some research led me to a post concerning the issues of the Mavic shooting poor video when using 1080P 60fps.  So you will know; I have been flying a P4 since it came out last March.

I kept reading posts all over the place and they all said the same thing, which basically states that the Mavic does not have the same camera that I have on my P4.  Not for the sake of argument but 1080P 60fps is my go-to setting on my P4 and it shoots great video at 1080P 60fps and I do not have any intentions of going backwards in video quality regardless of the compactness of the Mavic.  After all; it is a camera drone and not something I intend to just fly around just to be flying.  I just canceled my order and will just have to pack my P4 like I have been doing.  Maybe the Mavic 2 will at least match the video quality of the P4.  I am a bit put off that this is not a well known limitation.  First the delayed shipping and now I learn that it has an inferior camera than my P4.  Maybe this is some folks first drone and they will not be bothered by this but I cannot imagine someone lowering their standards after using a quality camera drone like the P4.  Again, maybe there are a lot of buyers out there that are not aware of this camera issue.  Looks like some bad business practices for DJI and the Mavic and a signal that this might not be the drone to own!

2016-12-6
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

Its really frustrating that they shipped the Mavic like this. They shouldn't even be listing it as a supported resolution, because it's unusable. I still haven't seen anything from DJI that indicates that this is something that can be fixed with an update.
2016-12-6
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

There ia an update today. Nothing about the 1080 60fps problem.
2016-12-6
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

The other framerates work wel,l and as long as you dont have a defective camera, look great. I dont mind 30fps, so the camera works well for me. You have to give up something for as small of a package as the Mavic provides. But I agree, I do with they could fix the 60fps problem as 1080/60 is completely unusable.
2016-12-6
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Hong Kong

I believe the issue with 1080p/60fps/96fps is due to a hardware limitation of the camera used on the Mavic, so don't expect this to be fixed with a firmware update..  If you really need to shoot at anything above 30fps, then you will be much better off with the Phantom series...
2016-12-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

I initially expected that flying in winds would be the single limitation of the Mavic that keeps the P4 saleable.  Then that seemed to be a non-issue and I thought the P4 was redundant.

1080p/60fps may be the key differentiator based on these posts.
2016-12-6
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

I don't understand your posts i shoot 1080/60 and it looks fine to me? https://youtu.be/GcDBT_Y9zWY no editing done this is raw footage
2016-12-10
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

boostedford Posted at 2016-12-10 23:39
I don't understand your posts i shoot 1080/60 and it looks fine to me? no editing done this is raw footage

I see the problem in your video. I'm not sure how to exactly describe it in English, but look at:
1) The trees/branches in foreground when taking of
2) The fence around the field of the stadium
And when panning:
3) Details on the "walking bridge" from trains to stadium tribune
4) Stripes and lines on the road
5) Houses in the foreground (especially in the beginning of the panning)
6) Railroad tracks

2016-12-10
Use props
Penny K.
New

Canada

Yes, I have seen the posts and the Youtube vid's as well.
I was holding off a purchase until the software issues plaguing this forum are fixed, but the camera issue is really a paramount issue due to this being sold as a video platform.
I'm not convinced that this is a wise purchase for our department, @ 1.8K(CDN,Amazon) for the Fly More Bundle, this is not pocket change.
Such a shame that they want you, the customer, to be the beta testers for them.
Here at the UofA, there would be at least 20-40 department wide purchases once we had one of them........
2016-12-10
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want a good camera get the P4Pro, if you want portability get the Mavic, nice and simple. Or wait til portability gets a better camera possibly sometime next year.
2016-12-10
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

I think in 1080p 60 the video looks mosaic or like a oil painting at times. Leafs in trees look the worst.
2016-12-10
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You say "not going backwards on video quality".... Framerate has nothing to do with video quailty. Today I recorded trackracing with my gopro at 60fps, but for me it is just a tad to "fake".

Personally, I don't like 60fps since it is to smooth. I like it more filmish. But yes, I would like to have the option for slowmo shots. Sadly, we can't...
2016-12-10
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2016-12-11 06:59
I see the problem in your video. I'm not sure how to exactly describe it in English, but look at:
1) The trees/branches in foreground when taking of
2) The fence around the field of the stadium

Oh you mean like the jaggedness of the edge of things like an anti alising problem?
2016-12-11
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

boostedford Posted at 2016-12-11 17:18
Oh you mean like the jaggedness of the edge of things like an anti alising problem?

Yes.  I think it is because it just skips pixels instead of doing real anti aliasing.
2016-12-11
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-6 18:54
I believe the issue with 1080p/60fps/96fps is due to a hardware limitation of the camera used on the Mavic, so don't expect this to be fixed with a firmware update..  If you really need to shoot at anything above 30fps, then you will be much better off with the Phantom series...

If that's the case, then they shouldn't be listing 60/96 as supported framerates. I get that not everyone wants to use those framerates, but when you are getting action video it's real nice to be able to do slow motion without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a plugin to interpolate the frames.
2016-12-11
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

I guess I'll switch to 1080/30 then only because my phone nor computer can handle 4k i need new equipment lmao. It's using anything above 30fps used only for doing slow motion? I kinda liked 60fps cause the smoothness looks more real time but if there really isn't any benefits then i guess I'll stick with 30fps
2016-12-11
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

ctopysf Posted at 2016-12-11 12:58
If that's the case, then they shouldn't be listing 60/96 as supported framerates. I get that not everyone wants to use those framerates, but when you are getting action video it's real nice to be able to do slow motion without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a plugin to interpolate the frames.

From what I understand 60/96fps is specifically for the DJI goggles that are coming... This is to minimise the lag time and increase the refresh rate..  It wasn't aimed at shooting quality video..
2016-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules