839 3 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 748205 ft
Switzerland

Hello,
I reveived my Mavic on Monday and flew 3 batteries yesterday on previous firmware and 2 batteries with firmware 1.03.0000 today.
For normal flying it's flawless. I did run into some problems though:

Phones: I have 3 phones I tried (not all while flying)
-  Xiaomi Mi 5: DJI Go and DJI Go 4 install without a problem and seem to work. I did have many disconnects though. Uninstalled DJI Go and left only DJI Go 4, still disconnects. Never tried to fly with this phone.
-  Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016): DJI Go 4 install without a problem and seem to work. During setup no disconnects at all. Today when trying to fly, it disconnected twice and showed error messages about battery (this behaviour has been reported on the forum with several different phones). Aborted flight with this phone.
- HTC M8 Dual SIM: DIJ Go 4 installs and works without a problem. Never lost connection with the remote controller.

Because I had disconnects with the Samsung while trying to fly but not during setup, I tried the following at home;
I removed the little slider (square plastic) that goes over the top of the connector. I have realised that with the plastic slider the plug is too rigid and may not be ideally placed to properly connect with the phone anymore. Like this, all phones stayed connected with the controller and the Mavic for a long time (not being flown though).

Now for the flying:
As already mentioned, just flying around I didn't have any issues whatsoever.
Testing the "Follow" mode, I did have a problem and I was glad to test in a wide open area! Here the description (the straight line and the two lines going from top to the bottom of the picture are tracks from flying before testing the "Follow" mode):

Mavic started wobbling badly after following for a a few minutes, the video feed stayed stabilized. Intending to take a picture of the wobbling drone, while putting remote control on the ground, I accidentally pressed “Go home” button on remote (Before the spiral and Q on the picture). Mavic started circling, the circles growing bigger and bigger. Remote didn't control Mavic. No indication of Mavic returning home though (Home point is to the left of the picture). “Pause” button didn’t do anything. When stopping the “Follow” (and confirming the pop-up), GPS is lost and Mavic drifts, but the remote could control again. When activating “Follow” again (f), Mavic started circling again. Deactivating “Follow” brought back control.

Map-Circling.JPG Notifications-Circling.JPG

Now some suggestions based on that experience:

-      “-   Pause” and “RTH” buttons should always override and cancel the present mission.
-   When deactivation the "Follow" mode (presumably any other mode as well), there shouldn't be a pop-up window asking for confirmation. I was watching the drone, not realising for a while that I had to confirm.
-   Fly in a wide open area before testing for the first time

And to conclude, some speculation on my part:

To me it looks like the software doesn’t properly take into account all possible inputs in all situations. In this case it probably was never tested to have a RTH input while in “Follow” mode, so the software doesn’t know what to do and starts creating all sorts of problems (circling, losing GPS). Having done some programming myself, I know it’s not obvious to always foresee (program) for non-logical inputs.

2016-12-7
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Have you updated to the new firmware that was released yesterday. This problem you experienced with circling was caused by bad compass readings and GPS loss which are both supposedly remedied in the new firmware.
2016-12-7
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

ditto.....
2016-12-7
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-7 23:01
Have you updated to the new firmware that was released yesterday. This problem you experienced with circling was caused by bad compass readings and GPS loss which are both supposedly remedied in the new firmware.

He says in his post he's updated to 1.03.0000, but this might be different than the cases before ... this seemed to initiate circling when follow was enabled (and he couldnt get it out of that mode)
2016-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules