Battery Issue Frustrating
1211 13 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DT6219
New

United States

I purchase the Phantom 3 Pro. Received the Unit a few days ago. Plugged in the Battery and left it for 4 hrs. First LED light was solid Second LED WAS FLASHING. Thats all I get.
SO I went to Best Buy last Night after dealing with Tech Support in the Phillipines WITH NO success and bought another Battery. Plugged that in over Night. Went to (2) solid LEDS and Thats it. HOW DO I GET THESE BATTERIES FULLY CHARGED. Its very Frustrating. I'm very close to returning the entire Unit! I've seen some Youtube Videos with the Same issue.
2016-12-21
Use props
DT6219
New

United States

I can't believe no one Else has this issue. Two different Batteries. I'm thinking it has to do with the Charger itself.
2016-12-21
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

DT6219 Posted at 2016-12-21 13:34
I can't believe no one Else has this issue. Two different Batteries. I'm thinking it has to do with the Charger itself.

Must be the charger - not the batteries?
2016-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-12-22 08:34
Must be the charger - not the batteries?

It is not a charger, it is a plain old power supply, and as long as it supplies power, the batteries should charge.
2016-12-21
Use props
DT6219
New

United States

Update: Received a Third Battery today because I ordered the Bundle package. That battery will not Charge either. Has to be the Charger. Going back to best buy tomorrow. They sell the Charger. Made several Calls to the Tech phone number to DJI and I have to tell you how disappointed I am. I'm a beginner in the Drone world but I would expect DJI to respond to a customer better after I spent over $1100 on their product. Seems like know one is taking responsibility.
If the Charger is defective I will be sending it back and hopefully they will send me a new one without asking for a video or giving me a hard time.
2016-12-21
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

What do you mean it isn't a charger but a power supply?  The drone comes WITH a battery charger.  If you didn't get one, go back to the dealer and insist that they supply you with one and take whatever you got back to them.
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

DT6219 Posted at 2016-12-22 08:57
Update: Received a Third Battery today because I ordered the Bundle package. That battery will not Charge either. Has to be the Charger. Going back to best buy tomorrow. They sell the Charger. Made several Calls to the Tech phone number to DJI and I have to tell you how disappointed I am. I'm a beginner in the Drone world but I would expect DJI to respond to a customer better after I spent over $1100 on their product. Seems like know one is taking responsibility.
If the Charger is defective I will be sending it back and hopefully they will send me a new one without asking for a video or giving me a hard time.

We feel so sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing and really understand how frustrated it must be.
Please check the charger as well with the dealer, if it's faulty, you could get an replacement.
Please keep us posted and feel free to let us know for any further questions.
2016-12-21
Use props
DT6219
New

United States

Went to Best Buy This morning and Bought a New Charger. IT WORKS!!!!!
It was as simple as that. I just can't beleive no one else had this issue.
DJI has sent me a return Label. I will be returning and hopefully with no issues they will send me a new one.
Hopefully this thread may help someone else in the further.
2016-12-22
Use props
Arresting Soul
New
United States

Oh I'm having the same problem, brand new, I bought two extra batteries use all once, then recharged them and used them again. None of them will charge now!! DJI says send the batteries back, I said what about the charger? he said no just the batteries!! I said why would all three batteries not be charging, I could undestand one but three! I think it would be the Charger! am I crazy!!  I think I'm going to try to get a charger before I send these batteries back!!

Okay guess what, I did go and get another charger at best buy, and presto, all batteries charging!! And they didn't want the charger!!!! Well I'm sending them back the charger and expect a new one to replace it!!! Ill keep two in case the second new one craps out!!
2017-1-6
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

Arresting Soul Posted at 2017-1-6 10:51
Oh I'm having the same problem, brand new, I bought two extra batteries use all once, then recharged them and used them again. None of them will charge now!! DJI says send the batteries back, I said what about the charger? he said no just the batteries!! I said why would all three batteries not be charging, I could undestand one but three! I think it would be the Charger! am I crazy!!  I think I'm going to try to get a charger before I send these batteries back!!

That's a good idea, try a charger first, you may as well get the 100w charger if you can.  Just happened to a friend and it was the charger.
2017-1-6
Use props
kerrylaw
lvl.2

United States

Geebax is correct.  The unit is a power supply only. We mistakenly call it a "charger" because we use it to charge our batteries.  Truth is, it IS only a power supply.  It has no intelligence.  The intelligence is in the battery.  The battery has a BMS, ( battery managment system ), built into the battery case.   A battery management system (BMS) is any electronic system that manages a rechargeable battery (cell or battery pack), such as by protecting the battery from operating outside its Safe Operating Area, monitoring its state, calculating secondary data, reporting that data, controlling its environment, authenticating it and / or balancing it.  The "charger" , as we call it, is really just a power supply.
2017-2-26
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

Arresting Soul Posted at 2017-1-6 10:51

Okay guess what, I did go and get another charger at best buy, and presto, all batteries charging!! And they didn't want the charger!!!! Well I'm sending them back the charger and expect a new one to replace it!!! Ill keep two in case the second new one craps out!!

I was so frustrated with my experience with my first drone that I bought a second one complete with batteries and controller. I had a different issue but hoped that I could keep at least one flying. Since the beginning of the year, both have been in for repair...
2017-2-27
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

kerrylaw Posted at 2017-2-26 23:00
Geebax is correct.  The unit is a power supply only. We mistakenly call it a "charger" because we use it to charge our batteries.  Truth is, it IS only a power supply.  It has no intelligence.  The intelligence is in the battery.  The battery has a BMS, ( battery managment system ), built into the battery case.   A battery management system (BMS) is any electronic system that manages a rechargeable battery (cell or battery pack), such as by protecting the battery from operating outside its Safe Operating Area, monitoring its state, calculating secondary data, reporting that data, controlling its environment, authenticating it and / or balancing it.  The "charger" , as we call it, is really just a power supply.

So how do you explain the current situation as described above? How can the "charger"...power supply only charge part way. If the power supply would happen to be the incorrect voltage or something, how would it just partially charge? How would you check it? Just measure the output? Of would you have to hook it up to a load and verify the output that way? Just asking to try and understand.
2017-2-27
Use props
kerrylaw
lvl.2

United States

The “charger” is in the smart battery. If it is given a faulty or low voltage to use, or not enough amps, the BMS circuitry, in the battery, will fail to work properly or simply not charge the battery at all. The BMS system, in the battery, needs correct voltage and current supplied to it, to be able to charge the cells.  If a charger will not supply the correct voltage or current to a smart battery with a BMS board, the internal BMS will stop a charging cycle or misbehave.  
   Remember, DT6219 stated that he just got the Phantom kit a few days ago.  This was the first time he had used it.  There could be many reasons why a power supply would fail or be faulty.. internal circuitry, inferior components, bad soldering, etc. All or any, resulting in a power supply that outputs too low of a voltage or current.
   In the Radio control world, we used to charge our airplane batteries from our car 12v batteries.  When our car batteries got too low, the RC charger, that was connected to this car battery, would simply not charge our plane batteries any more.  The charger stated “supply voltage too low”.
  Point being, if more than one battery fails to charge, borrow a friends power supply, “charger”, to see if that fixes it.  Even if it measures 17.5volts, like my DJI supply, it may not be able to supply the needed 5.7amps.  
  Also, maybe the BMS is just confused…  Here is a video to show how to “reset” some batteries.   

This is my understanding…..

• A power supply simply provides voltage and amps to a device.
• A standard battery charger charges a battery with just a charge connection, neg & pos, and stops based on an voltage/current feedback algorithm, built into the charger. It senses how much charge is stored in the batteries, figuring out from such things as changes in the battery voltage and cell temperature.  It does not really know the voltage of each cell, just the overall voltage of the pack.
• A Smart charger has a charging connection AND a feedback connection.( balance connector ). The smart charger monitors the voltage of each cell in the pack and balances it accordingly while charging the whole pack. It generally charges in stages.. i.e.: Bulk, Absorption and Float stages.
• A smart battery has a BMS board built into the battery that manages the cells charging and balances it while charging. A truly Smart battery means that some level of communication occurs between the battery, the equipment and the user. The definitions of “smart” vary among manufacturers and regulatory authorities, and the most basic smart battery may contain nothing more than a chip that sets the charger to the correct charge algorithm. ( BMS ). The batteries in our Phantoms are the least “smart” ones, with just the BMS circuit.

Sorry that was so long….   Hope this helps.
2017-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules