Cold Weather Question
844 6 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveyG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298094 ft
United States

Is it best to leave the bird outside without the battery to adjust to the (20f or below) cold before a flight or just fly it right away?  Which way is best?
2017-1-9
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

No! The internal components (and battery) will warm during normal operation. So, IMO, it's best to start closer to their normal operating temperature.
2017-1-9
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

In my case, I let the Mavic get exposed to ambient temperatures while I hike to my flying location (this is usually several hours). This acclimates the camera and gimbal and seems to avoid the video jello/jitters that I will otherwise get. Of your two technicques, I'd think just letting it sit without battery for a while would be the way to go but I have also flown and noticed that the jello will go away in the latter part of the flight.  I am sure it depends on the temperature differential how long you need to let it sit.
2017-1-9
Use props
kiltedrunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484948 ft
Canada

Hi Davey,
There's a number of posts here on the subject - but from my experience I just take it out when I'm ready to fly, start it up and fly. I have flown in weather as low as -32C (-25F) without any issues except for cold fingers. The battery was at +25C (77F) after the flight.

I have never ran into issues with the lens fogging up either.

Get out there, fly your drone and have some fun!

2017-1-9
Use props
Birdog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 664521 ft
United States

I had an alarm one time, something like "Battery Temp low, please warm before takeoff" (something along these lines).
My spare batteries had been in my open backpack while I was flying so now I keep my spare batteries tucked inside my jumper (body heat) to keep them nice and cosy.
2017-1-9
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

My personal experience and recommendation. I took my drone up with me skiing and decided I will take a few turns first before going back to my car to film. So I left the drone in the car while I was on the slopes. When I got back and tried flying it it started giving me a critical battery error and started forcing itself to land. After talking to other people in this forum, I made the mistake of flying with a cold battery. It was about 0F outside. What I have done now is to bring the battery with me while I ski inside pocket of my innermost layer to keep it warm. I have never had issues after doing this and I have flown in -12F before. Keep in mind though that you are operating outside the recommended range and if you crash DJI is not going to warranty it.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, please refer to the screenshot and remember to warm up the battery before your flight. Low temperature.png
2017-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules