Ireland

How do you define a flyaway,?

2017-1-10
Use props
lefgrter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 139738 ft
Greece

A craft not responding to controller and keep flying away, till it desappear from sight and it is lost in the horizon.... and the pilot keeps the cotroller as a paper weight???? Maybe
2017-1-10
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

Here today....gone tomorrow
2017-1-10
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

What you want to do when Trump ruins the country.
2017-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mostly it's a euphemism for  .... I lost my Phantom but don't know why

Otherwise ...
I flew my Phantom high up and downwind in a very strong wind that it couldn't fight against
I flew my Phantom behind a mountain or tall building, lost signal and it RTH-ed into the obstacle
I screwed up the compass calibration doing it on reinforced concrete and it went into atti and was blown away
etc etc
2017-1-10
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I always thought of a flyaway as a total loss of the craft, no where to be found with no user input creating that situation. Otherwise I'd just call it a crash.
2017-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think so far it looks like the aircraft may not be responsible for this phenomenon.
2017-1-10
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-10 15:12
I think so far it looks like the aircraft may not be responsible for this phenomenon.

How do you define it hallmark?
2017-1-10
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

u r using follow me mode, u look back and see the aircraft floating away, because for some reason gps got overwritten by wifi location or something like that? Then u know to flip your flight mode, because u read the manual again and again, you regain control, bring your bird back. That is ALMOST flyaway ;)
2017-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-10 15:18
u r using follow me mode, u look back and see the aircraft floating away, because for some reason gps got overwritten by wifi location or something like that? Then u know to flip your flight mode, because u read the manual again and again, you regain control, bring your bird back. That is ALMOST flyaway ;)

But who or what is commanding the aircraft to fly away, yes if you loose gps your aircraft will drift that drifting is caused by the wind, and as you rightly say switch to Atti  and Robert's your fathers brother ( Bobs your uncle, lol)
That seems to mean the pilot can still maintain control in the so called case of flyaway . If he can..
2017-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-10 15:14
How do you define it hallmark?

I define flyaway in almost 99% cases as pure and simple pilot error , either through bad preparation loss of gps which causes drifting in the wind , while the pilot has either lost sight of the aircraft (Pilot Error) or he just doesn't know what to do and panics ,
I think everyone including me, have pushed up on the sticks when we should have pushed down ,pushed left when we should have pushed right , we are all human.
But I'm afraid while many hold there hands up and see it as a lesson learned, there are some no matter how you explain or show them will always look to blame something else for there frailties.

It's especially hard to admit that you made a mistake to your peers, because, of course, you know so much more than they do.”
2017-1-10
Use props
fans5402405d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1093258 ft
United States

I just hope i can never answer that question
2017-1-10
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-10 15:30
But who or what is commanding the aircraft to fly away, yes if you loose gps your aircraft will drift that drifting is caused by the wind, and as you rightly say switch to Atti  and Robert's your fathers brother ( Bobs your uncle, lol)
That seems to mean the pilot can still maintain control in the so called case of flyaway . If he can..

No, this is actually wifi location trying to augment the H position to be followed and I think he was heading to the cell tower.. that is my guess.. it was NOT drifting with wind.. my phone decided I was not where I was a sec ago.....
2017-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-10 16:55
No, this is actually wifi location trying to augment the H position to be followed and I think he was heading to the cell tower.. that is my guess.. it was NOT drifting with wind.. my phone decided I was not where I was a sec ago.....

The Phantom has its home position which wouldn't have changed and has nothing to do with your phone.
If you are doing follow-me there are several factors you have to be very careful about including the quality of location signal you are using to tell the Phantom where your target is.
2017-1-10
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-10 15:30

As a noob this leads me to ask the question: If a P4P loses GPS signal and then later regains it, does it still remember the home point so you can activate RTH?
2017-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-1-10 18:00
As a noob this leads me to ask the question: If a P4P loses GPS signal and then later regains it, does it still remember the home point so you can activate RTH?

Yes, it does until you next power-up the Phantom.
But losing GPS mid-air is not normal and if your Phantom's working properly it's nothing you need to worry about.
2017-1-10
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-10 17:07
The Phantom has its home position which wouldn't have changed and has nothing to do with your phone.
If you are doing follow-me there are several factors you have to be very careful about including the quality of location signal you are using to tell the Phantom where your target is.

u r correct, i did not mean H, i meant follow me location of my mobile device.. and even though my phone was in high accuracy mode, i was not GPS only, so i think google tries to be smart and add wifi data.. and it backfired...
The H position was just fine, so was a manual takeover, so i had 2 options for recovery.
If  the drone really lost gps, i assume RTH would just attempt to land where he was...
and that is why these forums are so helpful, because the manual is a bit confusing in some details, and readin here, helps to understand what the options are in various modes and situations.. never hurts to be prepared mentally for issues, and practice the knowhow for recovery...

2017-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-1-10 18:00

Labroides is correct..
2017-1-11
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Have to agree, I think a lot of the problem fly aways are noobs , who have not had any kind of drone before, and dont understand how they will react in different conditions, and malfunctions due to user error, like excited noobs starting their machine up with with gimbal cover on and ruining the calibration, or flipping or dropping it, not making the sure the battery is locked in properly and getting total power loss. Each and every drone is mated with its controller and flown before being dispatched from the factory to make sure it works ok.
2017-1-11
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-10 14:51

Which will not happen....  It could have been much worse!
2017-1-12
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Very interesting topic.  A bad experience for anyone!  It also begs to define RTH...  If signal is lost to the aircraft for whatever reason, how does the RTH command get to the drone?  Or is it the drone that after a few seconds of lost connection executes a RTH?  (this must now be an internal command, right??)   Maybe the RTH function is still not mature and in future will be much more secure....
2017-1-12
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

This is my "fly away" i'm not a noob and treble check everything before each flight, it can happen
2017-01-06 09.55.53.png
2017-01-06 09.55.59.png
2017-01-06 09.56.05.png
2017-01-06 09.56.09.png
2017-1-12
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Some advice after my experience, always hover for at least 30 seconds and check the screen constantly, I, and like most flyers will be looking at the drone and surroundings prior to take off just to make sure the area your in is free from take off hassles, it can be then that a warning slides across on the screen, make sure after take off and hovering check the screen constantly, most people will be looking at the drone when flying from the hover position, always remember to turn the sound of the tablet up to full before taking off,  
2017-1-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to DJI, flyaways do not exist, it's always pilot error.
2017-1-12
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-12 11:58
According to DJI, flyaways do not exist, it's always pilot error.

They could be right, perhaps if I had kept a sharper eye on the screen when I first took off I may have not had an 8 minute flight from hell, but it would have got me another flight I guess, definitely was something amiss for it to go that mad
2017-1-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-10 14:51

Trump will blame Obama just like Obama blamed bush and bush blamed Clinton and so on.
2017-1-12
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-12 12:18
I would class your incident as a "Tried to Flyaway".  You did a good job fighting with it and got it back

It was like fighting with the devil :-) I can joke about it now but at the time it was sooooooo hard to fight what it was trying to do, I remember being full stick back to stop it and then full stick forwards just to hold it stationary, but that would only last seconds before it decided to go where it wanted, never want to go through that again
2017-1-12
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

A flyway is a loss of control of a UAS or any other remote flying craft. http://www.airport-technology.co ... ic-control-5719159/

I have never once had a "flyaway" with a DJI product. I have with others and had to wrangle them back in.

Can be caused by a myriad of reasons, including bad electormagnometer, uncalibrated IMU or electromagnometer (compass), bad connections, a wet/fried or just bad flight board, and a million other reasons. Whether fault of pilot or bird (or anyting else) the definition of a fly away is pretty simple, "the loss of remote control of your craft".
2017-1-24
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

JWC P4 P Posted at 2017-1-12 08:54
Very interesting topic.  A bad experience for anyone!  It also begs to define RTH...  If signal is lost to the aircraft for whatever reason, how does the RTH command get to the drone?  Or is it the drone that after a few seconds of lost connection executes a RTH?  (this must now be an internal command, right??)   Maybe the RTH function is still not mature and in future will be much more secure....

You have it correct. If you lose connection with the UAS while flying, unless set to do otherwise, it will initiate RTH and return to your homepoint which is hopefully where you are.
2017-1-24
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-1-12 09:43
This is my "fly away" i'm not a noob and treble check everything before each flight, it can happen

Out of curiosity, do you know what was causing all the "Magnet" warnings?
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules