Distance Issue
1452 11 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

Question: I'm new but have been flying about a month now (29 flights). I have a new P3P with latest FW (1.10.90) and latest DJI Go IOS app (3.1.2) and Controller (1.8.0). I am flying in a clear area, no restrictions and I can only get about 1500-1600 feet in distance. Beginner mode is off, set max distance is off and altitude is set to 120. Everywhere I fly, I can only get 1500-1600 feet distance.

I have friends with the same setup and they can fly 10,000+ feet distance. I have read and read and checked everything a million times. The only thing I come up with is the new firmware has limited me to this distance. Can this be even true?

Any help or suggestions?

I am currently on hold with support...

Thank you.

2017-1-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You fly aircraft together with your friends or not?
Please make sure you adjust the antenna to the optimal range during the flight, fly it father firstly then higher.
Maybe you can try to link your friend's remote to your aircraft and check again.
2017-1-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I have a P3A, with latest firmware, app, etc., and I can run out 3-miles without any issues. You for sure have something going on. Yes, make sure your antenna are not pointed straight out but are 90 degrees to where you are flying. I do have some booster type antennas, but I could easily go 1 1/2-2-miles with the stock setup.
To be clear, are you losing video signal or remote signal or both? Is it going into RTH on it's own at this range?
2017-1-19
Use props
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

The antenae are correctly pointed and I also have tried a signal booster on the controller. I have full gps and video signal at the time and what comes up is out of range. I at that point turn around and/or just fly the perimeter of the range. I did call tech support and after waiting for over an hour, they told me to re-calibrate the EMU and re-link the controller. I haven't been able to test yet due to weather but am very anxious to try. Will let you know hopefully tomorrow.
2017-1-20
Use props
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-19 03:05
You fly aircraft together with your friends or not?
Please make sure you adjust the antenna to the optimal range during the flight, fly it father firstly then higher.
Maybe you can try to link your friend's remote to your aircraft and check again.

No, just by myself. Friends live out of state.
2017-1-20
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

On average my p3a will go about 1/2 mile before I loose signal. The farthest I ever got was a little over 1 mile.
2017-1-20
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

Interesting with the Phantom 3 Pro light bridge connection you should be getting some pretty good distances.. Have you tried double checking which model you have you could have the phantom 3 4k which is exactly the same it just doesn't have the lightbridge connection so you can't fly as far
2017-1-20
Use props
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-20 12:07
Interesting with the Phantom 3 Pro light bridge connection you should be getting some pretty good distances.. Have you tried double checking which model you have you could have the phantom 3 4k which is exactly the same it just doesn't have the lightbridge connection so you can't fly as far

It's a Phantom 3 Professional with 4K and long range HD Live View. How do I tell if I have light bridge?
2017-1-20
Use props
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

Very happy to report that the IMU recalibration and the relink of the controller has worked and today I flew over 2 miles away. Thanks for everyone's help.
2017-1-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Chris Valcik Posted at 2017-1-21 10:32
Very happy to report that the IMU recalibration and the relink of the controller has worked and today I flew over 2 miles away. Thanks for everyone's help.

Thank you so much for your update, glad to hear you have great performance on it now.
2017-1-22
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Chris Valcik Posted at 2017-1-21 10:32

Isn't that cool! When I got to 1 mile, I was in awe. Then I tried 1.5 miles. No problems. 2 miles is next if it ever stops raining or blowing 40 MPH winds! I use the little wind surfers when I do this, but hear they are very directional. I've had the 'lost signal' happen several times w/o them so gave them a shot. The interface shows you whether you are facing the bird or not. How it does this is somewhat puzzling! Great to hear you are pretty far out there. That's what your friends tell me anyway.  
2017-1-22
Use props
Varming
lvl.1
Flight distance : 468284 ft
Denmark

My P3P can hardly reach 1 mile in open terrain - and I've tried relinking and the IMU recalibration already. This is in the EU with the CE restriction but it's less than half of what DJI writes we get with Lightbridge.
2017-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules