Weird Image Processing
964 2 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8162eec0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425682 ft
United Kingdom

I was doing some testing of my new(ish) Mavic Pro and various still image settings.

I set the custom settings to -2 for sharpness, -1 for contrast and -1 for saturation.

I took a test photo - JPG and RAW and in some areas of the JPG is some very weird image processing - a sort of watercolour smudging effect.

For example I've attached a screen grab from Lightroom of the middle of the image - DNG on left, JPG on right.

Notice how the grass and part of the tree is smudged in the JPG version but find in the DNG version - suggesting not a lens issue but a software processing issue.

I'll go back to the standard style settings after this but wonder if anyone else had this problem or even a solution?
DJI_Weird.jpg
2017-1-19
Use props
DarkEnergy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I suggested  same time ago that there is something wrong with the compression algorithm. This was in relation with out of focus jpg images reported by some users. Personally I always work with raw images and stay away from jpg as long as possible. See last posting in http://forum.dji.com/thread-75821-1-1.html
2017-1-19
Use props
fans8162eec0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425682 ft
United Kingdom

DarkEnergy Posted at 2017-1-19 10:38
I suggested  same time ago that there is something wrong with the compression algorithm. This was in relation with out of focus jpg images reported by some users. Personally I always work with raw images and stay away from jpg as long as possible. See last posting in http://forum.dji.com/thread-75821-1-1.html

Yes definitely a software issue - and one DJI could easily fix I suspect.

What adds confusion is some people have a genuine faulty lens - a hardware issue - that causes softness on one side - but this will be the same in DNG files.

Also some have not yet found the tap to focus yet so its user error.

But the issue I'm seeing is none of those but an image processing error - not something needing a return to DJI but a firmware update.
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules